Good point Brian. I just got back from the lake. Stuck the cat in the water w/o sails, went out about thigh deep and capsized. Got it up fairly easily w/ just the line over the hull. Will it be easier or harder with sails? Should find out tomorrow.

I've heard 2 different ways to sheet the mainsail when righting. One, to let it out, so the sail will dump any water as it comes up. Two, like you said, sheet in and let the wind help the sail up.

The most difficult time was stepping the mast. I'd done it only in my backyard, both on and off trailer. Little problem walking it up from stern to bow, climbing up a 3 steps of a 4-step step ladder when it's trailered.

At the boat launch today, I parked bow down on a very gentle slope in the parking lot. The trailer and car must have been on different slopes, cuz the tramp was about 6" higher from the ground than when in my yard. It was really precarious walking up that extra step of the ladder with the mast on my shoulder. Would have been much better with wider steps.

Cheers,
Danno

Danno