I agree that in some cases there will be an advantage but when you look at how many days/regattas are sailed in certain conditions the heavier crew is only at a slight advantage about 3-5% of the time. Versus the opposite end of the weight equation.
<br>
<br>If we always sailed in extreme conditions such as the worrell (on certain days/legs) than it would really be an issue. Since we do not than it is not.
<br>
<br>Do we as an assoc. say "when the wind is above XX knots there are no races"? From a legal standpoint YES. From a sailing aspect MAYBE.
<br>
<br>There has been many times when it came down to sailors discretion if a boat should race. I can remember 96 hobie 20 nationals as a good case when a part of the fleet raced and the rest sat on the beach. One thing we must consider. Some day someone is going to drown at regatta. When it happens, all hell is going to break loose with the regatta staff, sponsoring club, the assoc. and the manufacturer of the boat getting sued. (thanks lawyers)
<br>
<br>If we place a clause in the bylaws that state "any race should not start when the winds exceed XX knots" and "if the wind builds beyond that after the start than it is solely the discretion of the race TEAM whether to continue" then the assoc. has cleared itself of any legal challenge.
<br>
<br>With the top out of the way than it becomes a "restrictor-plate" issue. Keep everyone at the same basic speed. Then let skill take over.
<br>
<br>I do agree that a spinnaker changes the mindset of a boat. But so does a "hooter". I have won regattas because in light air I flew a hooter up and down the course. Is it legal? YES should it be legal? YES. Is it innovative? You betcha! Was it fun? F'n A right it was!
<br>
<br>Thats one of the reasons that I speak so loudly about basic rules and lets innovate. Remember back before 96 when the Worrell was still dead. NO ONE sailed a spinnaker on a cat, or a hooter, or god knows whatelse. Say what you may about the "bring what you got" school of racing which was the first few years of the Worrells comeback. But, it brought alot of new thoughts to the sport that we take for granted now. Every I20 sailor should thank Mike Worrell and those few sailors that ran the race in 97 and 98.
<br>
<br>Next person for the soapbox?
<br>
<br>Steve<br><br>

Attached Files
3824- (107 downloads)