OK, I have to weigh in on this topic. I have a Hobie 14 with a Hooter and it is just a blast to sail. I did a distance race last summer and stayed with or ahead of the 16s for about 7 miles until I started messing up and the wind picked up some. There was no way I could hang with the bigger boats like Tigers and F18HTs.

I have sailed a few times with spinnakers, but I have spent a lot more time with my Hooter. I took Rick's advice and set up a 1:2 furler and it really only takes 3-4 feet of line to furl the whole sail. As a note, though, you REALLY have to tug on it. I tried furling it once and the line broke, which sent me rolling head over heals off the back of the boat. I'm sure it was pretty funny if anyone saw me.

The 14 is a pretty good boat for the Hooter, but it really doesn't have enough bouyancy in the hulls. You can go upwind with the Hooter to about 8 mph, but the entire back half of the leeward hull is under water. I had to hike out just to keep the boat flat and then it was really fast. Down wind, it sails like a spinnaker so you have to get your weight all the way back. I think the Hooter would be a better sail on a boat like the Wave, SC17, or P15 (just listing single-handers). I have one for my SC20, but haven't tried it, yet.

I'm thinking the 17 would be about the same as it doesn't have a whole lot of bouyancy. The wings would make it a lot easier in medium wind, too. I would recommend finding a solid mast instead of putting all that strain on the comptip (if you have one). I'm on the Hooter side, too. I don't see snuffing or setting the spinnaker solo. The Hooter goes out effortlessly. I steer with my aft foot and sheet in on the Hooter. It is up in seconds and I'm off. The only draw back I have wit it is that when you capsize, it is pretty hard to right the boat with all the water in the Hooter. You can't really furl it with the boat on its side. I had to release the halyard on the Hooter once to get the boat back up and that was a mess getting it going again.

Last year at Spring Fever, we had 3 14s with Hooters and there were some times that we were the only boats moving on the lake! I passed a F18 down wind under full sail, too. I have to be honest and say that my performance wasn't that great since it was the first time I had sailed with the Hooter, so we didn't make a great showing in the standings. Bob Curry, of course, did extremely well (as usual). I'm planning on bringing two 14s with Hooters to Spring Fever this year and I've been able to put some more time in on them.

Attached Files
40647-DSCN2643.JPG (44 downloads)

Dan Berger
Norfolk, VA
A Cat USA139
Supercat 15