Fastcat,

I live in Boise, not too far from you in fact. I have an FX-1 with spin and love it. If you want to see my setup, just let me know. I have not sailed a cat with a hooter, so I will not agree/disagree with anyone's comments. My only experience is with the stock FX-1 spin setup. As far as raising/dousing....no problem at all. It took one or two tries to get it down, but I have my chute up within 2-3 boatlengths of the windward mark and i douse in the same range. This is all singlehanded. I'm not sure I understood Rick's comment about having to head up to douse, I've found the opposite is easier. Using the main as a blanket or shield really works well when dousing.

I came to the race at Wallula Gap two years ago when they had it there and had my 18 at the time. Since then, the FX-1 has come into my posession and I wouldn't want to go back. It's a great boat for one or two. Again, if you want to see the setup, just let me know and I'll show you. I'm about to dismantle the boat for the winter, so let me know!

Thanks,

Kip
FX-1
Boise