I think you are missing his point.

His opinion concerns attracting new sailors. His point is that that the colors, shape, marketing etc don't appeal to the target market, 18 to 30 somethings who don't sail anything right now.

Your point of view is from a one design RACERS perspective.

IMO, I don't think many first time buyers who were introduced to a cat while at a resort are concerned with the racing class presence or absence.

When I went to the Annapolis boat show MANY years ago with the goal of buying a 16 foot cat. 5 boats were on display each marketed quite differently. Isotope marketed their 16 as family cruiser. (not interested). Prindle marketed their boat as a better sailing boat then the hobie 16 and faster upwind. (I was interested in better sailing since my previous experience with a hobie 16 rental which had a huge amount of weather helm) Hobie marketed their boat as the Hobie life style and great one design racing fleets around the country. (The Hobie lifestyle crap was just that... with a capitol C.... the racing fleet stuff did not register because I was just not interested in racing. They did not do a great job with my issue of the weather helm) Nacra only had pictures of their 5.0. (they were showing a 5.8) Dart had a very racy classy looking boat and marketed it as a single hander... double hander with ISAF approval, they also mentioned a great rudder system. (I had never heard of a Dart before the show and was very suspicious. I was leaning towards the Prindle 16.)

In the end, Only Dart scheduled a test sail at Sandy Point... Nacra showed up with a 5.0 at the Sandy Point beach and also offered rides (pissed the hell out of the Dart guy). I sailed both and liked and bought a Dart (which I still sail and race solo for kicks... damn those sails are old.)

My biggest concern at the time was (parts and support) since the importer was in Conn and the boat was made in England. In the end... there was a US Dart Class (Thanks to the Fondricks and 3 or 4 local very good Dart rec sailors, one of whom acted as an agent for the boat and they continued to sail at Sandy Point for several years. (Its the only public launch site.) The Hobie 16 racing fleet never sailed out of Sandy Point for races or recreation and I did not meet these folks until several years later.

For me... if I am a new person looking into buying a new boat... I want to know about the support that is around for me... that means a physical dealer who will answer all of my dumb questions and not make me feel dumb. In today's lingo... a user group exists... just won't cut it.. no matter how well meaning it's members are.

I don't have an opinion about whether a H16 looks hot or old... I just don't think that a one design racing fleet means much for new would be cat sailors.

I also think that most new sailors are not looking at their boat as entry into a new social scene... They want to sail with their family and friends.

(I think that such a structure is critical to keeping people interested in sailing a cat... so maybe some education may be needed about why join a cat club.)

Take Care
Mark

crac.sailregattas.com