but I feel we have to balance this against the need to support the mast too. This is why I advocate some downhaul when sailing down wind when it is windy, it opens the leach of the main, but still supports the kite as the bend in the mast is aft - this does then load the mast more in compression (but I've never been worried about this with the 17 mast as it is large in section / mass) - I am muchmore worried about the kite pulling the top forward and breaking in this direction.

Scooby,

I guess it all boils down to how far you want to push the envelope! You want to play it safe and finish 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th that's fine. But if you are trying to stay with the leaders you tend to do things you wouldn't normally do while out day sailing.

I never thought I would raise my spinnaker in 18 knots until I saw the boat " in front " of me do it and it was just the first downwind leg of a 3 lap race!

Tom

Tom,

I don't usually play safe, and I usually win.

I'd be the the last one to ease off, I've had my kite up in about 30 kts, but on a lake where if it does go TU the (very good) rescue guys will come and fish me out (and they have done )

I've also just remembered that the I17R, the kite actually goes to the same place (above the deck) on your mast as it does mine, so I think for any given sheet position/load, you would have less twist induced than on the shorter Alu mast that I have.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here