CR””
<br>The lessons the Tornado class has taught us in its 35 year existance is to allow developement , modification ,and updates to naturally occur with advances in sailing design .
<br>
<br>Locking in your area to a 6/0 with no snuffer and shute will lead to its demize , while the Tornado , Inter 20 s ,-and Formula boats continue on . The best thing you could do for your fleet and cat sailing in general would be to encourage a Formula 20 class that includes them as part of a larger continueing fleet of Formula 20s well into the future . “”
<br>
<br>EA I am not the person who decides what the local Nacra 6.0 fleet will do. The fleet decides. The fleet decision was to continue to sail main and jib only at this time for bouys racing. I would be just as happy if we raced with chutes, however ½ the fleet does not want it. I would rather sail in a big fleet then a smaller spinnaker fleet. At the point I decide I want to race chutes around the buoys, I would buy an Inter 20 anyway.
<br>
<br>CR ””-Sailing a new mfg. boat every couple years is a huge advantage ,---new sails ,--stiffer platform ,---Fair sailing ?
<br>
<br>The new boat weighs less , -sailing at min crew weight may also place such a team 60 -70 -80 LBs or more lighter than others in their supposed manufacturers one design fleet ,----fair sailing ?
<br>
<br>If you can't win given these advantages over older heavier cats and crews there is something very wrong. “”
<br>EA So what you are saying is that people buying new boats are Cheating? That is absurd. Secondly, I don’t think the new boats (6.0’s) are any lighter then the old ones. Why would they be? They use the same layup scheduals as they used to. Regardless of whether you have a new boat or not, New sails are a necessity. I figure I sail the Nacra 50 days a year. Mainsails last about 1 ½-2 years in top form and jibs last about 20 days of racing, less in high winds. Implying that I or others are not being fair by maintaining equipment in top form is not rational. The top 4 boats this year in the New England 6.0 class were aprox 360, 350, 325 and 290 lbs crew weight. All 4 of the teams won at least one Regatta during the summer The 4 teams had boats built in 2001,1994,1995,and 1998. 2 of the 4 top boats were at least 6 years old. All had new sails though.
<br>
<br>
<br>CR “””The obvious solution is to allow teams with older boats to modify , -The 6/0 is a fantastic cat with a shute , add the snuffer ,-allow the fleet to update similarly with the T -Inter and numerous other designs , and compete with other 20s on a fair equal basis.
<br>
<br>This would mean giving up the huge weight advantage -
<br>and the advantage of new sails and stiffer ,lighter platform just bought, -
<br>fair sailing ,---not just for the min,weight ,--or those that can purchase a new boat . “”
<br>
<br>EA see comments above
<br>
<br>CR “””-Sail area to weight ratios are a common design calculation used in the process of creating all sailing craft design and is an essential part of this process ,-its principles well proven .
<br>
<br>Failure to comprehend and understand these basics of design does not warrent the misdirection and false conclusion provided as to fair sailing ,--
<br>
<br>The definition and conditions of fair sailing provided by those on a new lightweight mfg.boat at min.crew weight , 70 LBs lighter than some while attempting to label others who address these issues as being percieved as unfair is , ------------well you can see ,-and deside this for yourself. “””
<br>
<br>EA Carl please stick to the facts and quit resorting to misdirection. My basic argument is that the current 20 footers can’t be made equivelent by just changing sail areas and min weights. I would be happy if you would offer a rational debate on how close the boats would be in performance, and over what range of conditions. Why for instance a P19 can make up for a shorter waterline length in windy conditions with more sail area. I would also be interested in why a light boat with a heavy crew would not outperform a heavy boat with a light crew in windy or puffy conditions. Instead of debate, you insinuate that I am seeking an unfair advantage by sailing a “a new lightweight mfg.boat at min.crew weight, 70 LBs lighter than some”” I am buying a new boat. (A new 420 lb Nacra 6.0) However I had one of the oldest boats in the fleet until now. Unfortunately, I am not sailing at min weight. In reality, I sailed between 350 and 365 lbs crew weight this year. Yes, there is a large range of crew weights in our division. It does not seem to bother the good sailors too much.
<br>
<br>Sail Fast, Take Chances.
<br>Eric
<br>
<br><br><br>