Hello to All,

Mary, thanks for pointing me to the I14 post ( and answer),..I guess I should read closer.

Here is my question;

Could these folis be put on standard articulating rudder systems?

Granted, cartidge is best.

And, excluding braking beach wave condions.

I moved my boat from the y.c. beach back to a public beach this week. It was about a mile. I did not raise a sail, just threw the beach wheels on and floated down witht he wind. I sat on the rear crossbeam, pushing off with 1 leg when it got shallow.

Here is my observation. The rudder was locked in 'up' position. The rudder was horizontal. It was never more than 30-40% submerged ( I would steer with it).

Seeing where the foil is attached to the rudder, the aft aspect, in the 'up' position, the foil would safely not come in contact with the water ( get ripped off, etc). So. one is ok there.

I do not know about you, but when I launch, my rudders stay up until I clear the mooring area or until I have a 'clear path', or deep water( in the locked up position, and weight to the back, enough of the rudder is in the water for steerage)......when I do set the rudders, the boat is stopped or at a crawl,...down goes the rudder, then I check that they are 'locked',....and I power up and go.

Knowing this,.....could one safely use the foils on a standard 'articulating' rudder system?

I respect your ideas, comments and opinions.

regards,
Bruce
I-17
St. Croix