Wyatt,
Part of the reason I asked is that I heard a rumor that one of the divisions up in that area (I don't know whether it was yours) plans to not actively discourage participation but also not to actively encourage it for Hobies that do not have enough boats for a one-design fleet.

If that is true, I think that is a very unfortunate attitude designed to hasten the demise of the smaller classes under the Hobie umbrella -- and also reduce the number of Hobie sailors in general.

I have been saying for years that there should be individual class associations for the various Hobie classes under the overall umbrella of the Hobie Class Association, so each class can have people working on building their own class of boat, both nationally and locally, and getting more attendance at regattas so they CAN get enough boats for one-design fleets.

But lacking that, I think that at the very least ALL Hobies of whatever type (even if they have a boat that is not being built any more) should feel welcome to attend any Hobie regatta and know that they will be able to race somehow. If the people with dead or dying classes feel welcome to come to regattas, they will either work harder to get more of their kind to come, too, OR they may decide to give up on their class and buy one of the boats that do have active racing fleets. Either way, at least you will still be welcoming them and keeping them on the water.

As it is, since the Hobie Class has said it will not allow an open class, it makes it sound like they will not allow an open class, period, even if it is for Hobies. Perhaps that should be clarified so Hobies without enough for a fleet will not stay home.