Never heard that one... We have made no changes to the 20 patterns in recent history. The sails on every boat including and after the Hobie 17 were designed for the CompTip.

Sam, I am never sure where you are coming from. I gave you all the information you needed and honestly. No one here has ever said we did not get sued... of course we did. We had the "deep pockets". You are truly “beating a dead horse” when arguing the decision about CompTips. Like Matt Bounds said… that was 20 years ago.

By the way, Hobie Cat spearheaded a national campaign to get power companies to raise their lines as well. There was a lot of effort put in to this issue. Many of the same people at the top of the company back then are still here. They are truly caring people and I can tell you with complete confidence that protecting people, not just corporate money, was a major force in this change to the CompTip.

It is well recognized that USA boats are of the finest made World Wide. We proved that at the 16 Worlds in Cancun. Each 16 Worlds before that, for several events, had big problems with boats or hardware... our hosted event with USA boats came through with huge acclaim from the international sailors. Virtually ZERO breakdown points had to be awarded for the event. There had also been a lot of concern voiced by those international sailors that CompTips were not up to the demanding use and conditions of international competition. Wrong... they were stellar! The 16 sailed perfectly with them. The difference in performance to the all aluminum mast is negligible and that depends on the conditions. Yes, high-wind sailing has actually shown an advantage using the tip.

Sam, I am still confused as to why you tend to bash our company. I am sorry for whatever has upset you in your past dealing with us.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company