Alright Economics majors this is my opinion:

The decline in sailing has NOTHING to do with the prices of boats. The decline in sailing has NOTHING to do with company marketing procedures.

The reason sailing is failing as a sport in the United States is due to the lack of free time Americans have to invest in a time gulping sport!!!!!!!!!!

In a land of $50,000 SUVs,$500,000 average homes, double income families, and a birthrate that will make WASPs a minority in two generations. There is plenty of money. The problem is most if Americans will not even use there 10 days vacation a year would they spend a whole weekend gearing up, driving a hour, spending a hour setting up a boat, and then sitting on a lake that has no wind. No.Would Americans spend time on a sport that one out of three times it wouldn't be worth it to rig the boat. The answer is no. I have met many people at the lake to demo a new boat. They have the money and sailing has an incredable eye appeal but if the wind is less than 5 knots forget even rigging. If they get on the boat and it takes more than an hour to make it across the lake and back they get bored. How many times have we picked up a five year old boat at 30% of it's original new value when it has been used less than ten times and has sat for four years.

I also believe this is a pressing factor in high speed motor boating. Reading some of the adds for Fountain boats the marketing factors of how fast they go are underwritted by the bragging rights of how they can make to the Gulf Stream in less than an hour, reach a restaurant 20 miles away in 30 minutes, everthing is related to time savings and guaranteed speed fixes. Has anyone visited a Marina recently unless it is a Sailing Club chances are motor yachts outnumber Sailboats. The reason time.

On this subject I am actualy curious what Wouter's point of view (not on Americans)but how valuable is free time in Europe and how it relates to catsailing.

Flame away I can take it I am an Isotope skipper to ugly and mean to have a crew.

J.P.Ayers
Isotope 186