This year's F18 North Americans saw predominantly manufacturer's sails. From what I know, only in two cases were the sails from a 2nd party. Alex Shafer and Nigel Pitt were using "Performance" sails that come factory on European Nacras. Mike Krantz and David Lennard were using a set of sails produced by Ullman. If you peel away several layers, Zuchulli Ullman (sp?) is heavily involved in the development of the Hobie sails (from what I understand) I believe in Italy.

Of the factory sails present at NA's, there were basically two varieties of Hobie sails and two varieties of Nacra sails. The older variety Nacra and Hobie look similar in shape with a smaller square top as do the newer Nacra and Hobie sharing a similar shape both with a bigger square top. The new Hobie main is refered to as STX.

Results at NA's were mixed. 1st place was using the newer Hobie STX main, 2nd place was using the older Hobie style. Alex and Nigel were doing pretty well with the Performance sails and Mike and David did pretty well with the set from Ullman. Sail types were pretty jumbled up throughout the results...we were using a one year old set of the 'old style' Nacra sails.

Jake Kohl