Mark,

I know that the results from all of CRAM races go to or will go to Darlene Hobock to adjust PN. The F17 from this year feels lighter, but some of that is the alterations to the boom, carbo blocks, mid-pole snuffer system, different tramp attachment system, etc., etc. This has happened in all the Nacra classes over the years, e.g., eliminating the mid-tramp pole from the N5.2, switching from polyester resin to vinylester resin in the Nacras beginning in 1999, etc. This has been the case in the Hobie classes, with changes in hull construction in the Hobie 16 and Hobie 18, now changing downhaul systems on the Hobie 16. It just goes on and on. Within the Nacra classes, you can purchase and upgrade your older boat to have the same equipment that comes on the new boats, like the new boom, new rudder blades, new daggerboards, mid-pole snuffer, new carbo blocks, etc. These continual upgrades, though not usually major changes, are one of the reasons sailors sell their current boat to buy a new boat (it always seemed to be a "must" in the old Division 10 days). It always seemed that the new boats were faster. In the old days when boats were weighed at major regattas (still doing this in F18), there was significant weight differences in boats. When I weighed the N5.8s at North Americans in Traverse City in the early 90's, we saw some really light boats (had to add weight) and some really heavy boats. When I bought my 1999 N5.5 Uni, it felt lighter than my 1988 N5.5 Uni. Having visited the Performance factory, it would not be unreasonable to expect variation in boat weights with changes in weather. There is production variation in all processes. I also hope that Performance continues to improve their boats without degrading their durability. As a customer, I would like to think that buying a new boat would be better than buying an old boat. If improving the F17 is the reason so many more of them sold this year, then I applaud Performance for making the right move. Are the new F17s at the front of the fleet? Yes. Are the sailors the same ones that were at the front on the previous boats? Yes. Is it a faster boat or are the skippers getting better? After single handing a spinnker boat for several years, I think skipper skill has more to do with time around the course. Also, on the F17, the learning curve takes longer to climb than on many other boats.

Do I think the F17 for 2005 violates the rules? Well, the rules were written for 2005. There are still rules for the N-17 that don't have the adjustments in spinnaker size based on skipper weight and the adjustment of skipper weight to equalize all skippers. The F17 cannot violate rules in 2005 when that is the first year for it. In CRAM, we have a F17 fleet and the older 17s all race those rules.

Les Gallagher