Rolf
I may have it all wrong but I thought the target market was the heavier sailor. If this is the case does a 10ft wide boat cater more for the heavier sailor than the lighter sailor?
Now if the segement of the sailing scene being targetted is not the heavier sailor it may be a good thing provided you can find people that are willing to put up with the inconvienience.

But once you add the hassle of the wide beam you imediately segment your potential market and loose those who don't have mast up storgae and don't want the hassel. While the boat may be great to sail it may not ever be mainstream because you loose so much of the potential market before you start.

Now if your looking at just a line honours boat the wider beam would help meet that objective.
But before deciding on the rules I thought it would help ensure success if some consideration was given to who you want to sail the boat. To further build the sport and not just rob sailors from other classes it would be best if the target is not currently being catered for in the current Formulas.
This is just what I'm thinking. I hope the final rules are a combintion that works and makes the F20 a mainstream class.
Regards,
Phill

I know that the voices in my head aint real,
but they have some pretty good ideas.
There is no such thing as a quick fix and I've never had free lunch!