Dave, the M20, Eagle20 etc. dont fit within the envelope I suggest. The Tornado does, and I believe the N20 and N6.0 does as well (I am uncertain about their mastheight). Retrofit wings, or dont, and go out there and race them.
However, I have had it explained to me that the N20 and N6.0 race formula already, and that this class is large enough to be self-sufficient and have good racing. Hence, I dont see this happening and I dont want to interfere with what seems like a good class.

The envelope I suggest have a minimum weight about 20-25kg's less than the current Tornado, and that's a lot of 'tire wheels' around the hips for sailors around 35-40years and upwards.

I agree with you that nobody will rush out to race in a non-existent class, and there is no point in cannabalizing on other classes, so I would like to see a class for sailors a bit heavier than the competitive sailors on the current 20 footers (like me). A powerful sailplan on light hulls generally demands a heavier crew. In very light winds a lightweight crew can be really fast on such a boat, but when the wind rises a bit more, a heavy crew can sail in circles around the lightweights.
As I see it, (and as you imply) it's the old "chicken or the egg first" problem. But I would like to hammer out some rules as I belive the time is ripe, instead of waiting for the boats to come first. I believe the F-16 class set the rules first, and then the boats came (Yes, they had some very good ideas, like racing formula racing one-up or two-up and a larger base of old boats to build on, like the Taipan4.9 and Mosquito). What we discuss here might just turn out to be a wasted effort and a lot of hot air which nothing comes out of, but what so (I sure hope nobody sees this as a threat, or are damaged/hurt just by us discussing this. Or even if there are some boats buildt to the formula)?

Of course, my initative and interest in this has nothing to do with the fact that I have all rigging, rig, equipment, crossbeams, sails etc. from an old Tornado lying in storage, begging for some new action on a set of higher-performance hulls..

Do you know who I could contact to learn more about how the winged boats did in the Worrel and what kind of configuration it was?