The I20 was a dead boat walking.
The F18 class is growing and the I20 class is shrinking and the HT class is in hibernation. Only big guys and distance racers will be on the I20’s in short order.
Any one else have a different memory or point of view?

Mark

Good post Mark. I do have a difference of opinion on the above statements. I don't believe the I20's are dieing. It seems to be that they are shifting constantly. Up in WI this year there has been a huge growth where they are getting quite a few at local regattas. I20 is still the only production ride to have for a distance race.

Back to the 18HT. This class entered the US at just about the same time as the F18 class. It was really anybody's game at that point. I watched both class's closely as I was on a Hobie 20 and knew that my days were numbered. I saw the 18HT's have some rudder issues and I saw the Worrell fiasco and still I think they could have gotten past those issues had they addressed them. As soon as WF lost interest in the class it was over. Nobody has picked up the ball and kept it rolling.

On the other side the F18 class has really grown. One of the big reasons it grew was because of the support by dealers of the SMOD classes. Some folks also got involved in the class at making it go as the NAF18 class.

I also believe that NAF18 class was viewed with a lot of skepticizm initially because it appeared to be driven by a dealer. Once that appearance went away I think that the class has really taken off. Now it seems that there is no doubt that this is the class of the future. It also looks like the "must attend event" is the NAF18 Nationals. Even some of the I20 sailors are starting to begrudingly convert to the F18.

Now I own both a Tiger and an I20. Both are great boats.

Mike Hill
www.stlouiscats.com

Mike Hill
N20 #1005