Flatlander,

I used to own a Prindle 16 catamaran for many years, it was my first boat. I sailed it alot on the North Sea here in Europe which is typically between 6 and 12 mtrs deep with strong tidal currents and some good sized chop is worked up when the tide is against the wind. It was often a big challenge keeping the Prindle 16 calm and ride the waves well; there were many times that we cursed the waves and they would very often bring the boat to almost a full stop. I know the feeling of hobbiehorsing very well. I don't know how this compares to your conditions but I can tell you that my switch to the F16 (I had other boats in between) was a huge step up. Riding the waves well is still a skill that is needed by the modern hull shapes just cut through the water so much better and they loose so much less speed while doing so. In this way there is not much difference between any modern boat you compare to the oldies like the Prindle 16 and Hobie 16. F18, A-cat, F16, I-20 you name it they sail just significantly better.

Does the bouyancy of these new hull designs affect/help performance in the described conditions?

In my opinion : yes.

The newer hull designs are noticeably better in such conditions.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands