Excellent idea and modification, plus out of knees-way!... how'd it work out on the water, re: tramp sag and torsion resistance? i.e. I can see why the factory would place them farther inboard, both to provide shorter unsupported tramp spans, and to have the torsion-resistance members closer to where the mast is "working" the crossbeam.

We never had any issues with tramp sag or the beams rotating with the change to the platform.

Ahh soo... so the beams are only 7' apart, moving the mast aft, making the long bows even longer--WICKED! I guess when current PerfCats sales lit claims of the 5.5 Uni "The hulls are identical to the 5.5sl and the 18 sq, which provide greater speed and buoyancy.", they are talking about the wetted parts, not the topsides... check.

Actually, I think you could get the 18 Square when they brought out the N5.5 Sloop and Uni. At that time, they all used the same hulls.

True, but as a rec boat, I shall sometimes have a "crew"... but since no jib, they are free to go 'round the front of the mast--extra thrill--LOL! Perhaps a bridle-foil (compression member) and big net cruising tramp between the bows? ;')

Seriously though, that boom APPEARS to be right on the front crossbeam!

When I took my wife for cruises on the Square, I just asked her to go to the other side before I tacked, tacking and following her under the boom as she got through. I think the boom actually attaches to the front beam, because the mast rotation was a Positive rotation system, unlike today's rotation limiting systems. We only adjusted rotation for going downwind, rotating to 90 degrees or more, and left rotation alone for upwind. If I were designing today's 18 Square, I would have carbon mast (maybe off of F17 or N5.5 Uni), use rotation limiting system and have the boom attach to the back of the mast. I would read the current rules to make sure that the category II still has a minimum weight that I wouldn't go under with the carbon mast. A new square top mainsail would be a significant improvement, also. On the other hand, just buying Lemke's boat would be an inexpensive and fun way to go, especially if I wasn't going to campaign (race extensively) the boat.

Les Gallagher