It was during the Worrell 1000 and the fleet was approaching Cape Hatteras. We (ground crew, media, etc) had jumped on local SUVs and had made it out to the point. There were hundreds of fishermen there.
One of the event officials notified everyone that the boats would be coming soon and they pass very close to shore.

One particular fisherman muttered, "OK Boys, Target practice!"
I was video taping Randy Smyth as he came close by the point with his spinnaker up. Suddenly, from the side of my camera a casting rod flicked, the line spun out and a huge lead sinker (pointed and with a hook right below flew out, went across the kite and ripped the sail in two."

A bunch of sailors jumped the guy and held him. Soon the Ranger showed up and tried to sort it all out. He was not sure what had happened and the fisherman denied anything.

I politely asked the Ranger to look at the video I had just taken. The Ranger grabbed the guy and arrested him on the spot. He has since been banned from fishing on Hatteras and had to pay for the sail.
They talked about jail time, but I don't believe that happened.., too bad!

Had that sinker hit one of the sailors it would have killed them. It was big and heavy and sharp.
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com