Yes, A cats have a long history here so I suppose the torch keeps getting passed on. I think the Kiwi problem is that the development classes here are mono, have been around for years and the likes of Coutts, Dickson, Monk, Butterworth ect are taken by the "Yacht Club" ethic which is incredibly elitist about monos vs cats. These people are trained into what they are doing from 4/5 and 6 years of age. It is normal for a familly to run a 20,000 dollars set of Starlings and Ps and campaigin them vigorously. A youngster would not see a cat until early teens at best and then there would be an argument with Dad about it.
You only have to see that our Olympic Tornado sailors are both X board sailors..how trajic is that?
I believe the Olympics need a smaller class of cats as well. Like the Laser, a non trap one man 12/14 could get the young involved early and keep excellent sailors and profiles for longer. A medal like that would be something to aim for and grow cat sailors like bobsy! I cannot speak for you guys overseas, but I know that here cats are seen as no choice at all for a career in the sport. : (

I watched Dicson sail a Tornado at the Kiwi trials a few years ago. (Wifee and I were on Honeymoon) and he was not doing very well.....

I generally agree that people just don't get introduced to cats early enough, this is why I support what Brian Phipps has been doing with the kids in the UK. Top job IMO.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here