Stewart,

I agree with your thoughts that F18 is the right way to go. From Ohio, the Nacra dealer that will give you the best information is here in Michigan and sells many boats to the Ohio fleet. He also has a wide variety of used Nacra F18s. I just looked at his website (www.cathouse1.com) for pre-owned F18 and he has one boat that I think would be an exceptional package, a 2005 Nacra F18 with the correct sails for your crew weight and available with trailex trailer, beach wheels, sail box...everything you are going to want for a spinnaker cat.

He has several pre-owned F18 at a variety of price points from 2003 Inter 18, 2002 F18 and even a demo 2006 Infusion (I think this is the boat that won the 2006 F18 North American Championships in September. It was assembled about a week before the regatta.). I have found the dealer very helpful to people new to catamarans and often steers people away from cats if it is not the right boat for them. It is always worth it to chat with him before you decide what to do. Just wait until after 10 AM to call him! He takes calls late into the night!

If Hobie is the choice for you, then I think the dealer in Rochester, NY is probably the right person to talk to about the Tiger. They seem to have a very strong Hobie-only racing program in that area which draws Hobie sailors from Michigan to their regattas.

Ohio Catamaran Racing Association (OCRA) might be another place to check out. You might be able to find some people to talk to in your area before you put your money down. Also, Catamaran Racing Association of Michigan (CRAM) might be near enough for you and your wife to come to some of their events. I think there are Links to both OCRA and CRAM in the Links section of the website. There are many in that club who will be delighted to show you the ins and outs of sailing spinnaker cats (or any other cat, for that matter). In any case, whatever you do, have fun with it!

This post is focused on where the racing sailor might go from your area, but even if you don't want to race, these are the people that know the most about the F18s. I have dealt with these clubs and the Nacra dealer for more than 20 years and they will not steer you wrong.

Les Gallagher