My boat rigged (Tiger) is 400 lbs.

This is probably a good time to announce the alternative to the F18 boats.

Think lighter, cheaper, more versatile and with the same performance on the water.

Or in hard facts : 240 lbs ready to sail weight, below 13.500 US$ NEW and optimized for both fast doublehanded and fast singlehanded sailing. Don't look at the US D-PN handicap ratings for this boat as they are plain BS.

For proof read : http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showthre...age=0#Post89081

We are talking about Formula 16 boats here and 11 Blade F16's are going to be on offer right after the Alter Cup event in feb 2006 (pricing is not know yet, but contact the builder at 321-269-8444 ask for Matt McDonald.

There are also secondhanders to be had below 10.000. One being under 7000 I seem to remember.

HOWEVER ; my personal advice goes against both the F18 and F16's at this time. I think you will be far better off finding yourself a decent nacra 5.0 or nacra 500 or a boat like it like the Nacra 5.7 (570) or even the Hobie 16 or Hobie 18.

These are very cheap in the second hand market and will keep you happy for the first few years. Then you can always upgrade to a more performance oriented boat. Going this way will both be cheaper overall and will get you a new young boat when you are ready to appreciate one. Afterall the biggest mishaps always happen when we make our first steps. Better to hole a 1200 bucks nacra 5.0 then a 10.000 F18/F16. Besides when you take care of your boat then you can sell that nacra 500 on to another guy for the same price you bought it for.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands