Hop To
Stepping Mast with New, Shorter Shrouds #111943
07/17/07 04:25 PM
07/17/07 04:25 PM
Mesa, Arizona
RickInMesa Offline OP
RickInMesa  Offline OP

Mesa, Arizona
I replaced my shrouds on my 1971 Hobie 16, and now I find it really difficult to set up my boat. I still have the shorter forestay, and I added a second chainplate to the bridle, which makes it possible to pin it together. The difficulty comes from the fact that the mast is raked back so far that it wants to fall when stepped.

Before I got my new shrouds, I found that if I parked my trailer facing downhill a little, the mast would lean far enough forward that most of the forces would be borne by the shrouds. I would tie the jib halyard to a rope, routing it through the bridle and then through my jib cam-cleat. When pulled snug, this would act as "insurance" that the mast wouldn't fall back, and I could climb down and pin the forestay. Now, however, the forces on that halyard/rope are so high that it makes me worried. Among other things, it puts a great deal of force on the jib traveler track, and I've already re-riveted that once!

I usually sail alone. Do those of you who sail alone have the same problem with the shorter shrouds and lots of mast rake? Do you worry about the mast toppling off?

Rick

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Stepping Mast with New, Shorter Shrouds [Re: RickInMesa] #111944
07/17/07 05:20 PM
07/17/07 05:20 PM
W
wadesee Offline
stranger
wadesee  Offline
stranger
W

Hi Rick -
Currently having a heck of a time with short shroud lines. Can't even get the mast in the cup. Didn't know something had changed with the boat design...can you enlighten me? How did you even accomplish this? Sorry to ask more questions than answers...

thanks
wade

Re: Stepping Mast with New, Shorter Shrouds [Re: RickInMesa] #111945
07/17/07 05:41 PM
07/17/07 05:41 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

“an island in the Pacifi...
Set the shrouds in a higher hole in the chainplates. Once the mast is stepped reset them in the lower holes. Hang on to the trap handle while the pins are out.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Stepping Mast with New, Shorter Shrouds [Re: hobie1616] #111946
07/17/07 07:09 PM
07/17/07 07:09 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
What ever the hassle with rigging... the boat will sail better with the mast properly raked aft.

Basic rule of thumb for rigging: The boom blocks should touch or nearly touch the traveler blocks when fully sheeted for the days sailing conditions.

History: In 1982 Hobie redesigned the mast step casting for more rake and made the shrouds shorter... forestay longer. In 1995 we went to a single part number for shrouds (17s and 16s), so the shroud wire became approx. an inch shorter. Current shrouds are 18' 11". On new boats we use an "Aussie" jib halyard system with a longer forestay which is 18' 7 1/4".

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Stepping Mast with New, Shorter Shrouds [Re: mmiller] #111947
07/18/07 03:27 PM
07/18/07 03:27 PM
Mesa, Arizona
RickInMesa Offline OP
RickInMesa  Offline OP

Mesa, Arizona
Wade, before I changed the shrouds to the newer ones, I had to replace the mast base. It does fit into the mast step casting on the front crossbar fairly well; I use the "hinge" technique, and during the raising process the hinge keeps the base aimed right at the hole in the mast step... as long as I attach the hinge properly, that is. It's labeled "top", and if I get it backwards, the ball will NOT drop into the cup.

hobie1616, your advice is exactly on the mark; thanks. I felt very nervous about disconnecting the shrouds, even when holding a trap handle, because a breeze or a moment's inattention could cause the mast to fall. So the last time I sailed, I set the shrouds to the third or fourth hole in the chainplate... and forgot that I had done so. The inch or two on each side makes a big difference during setup.

Matt, thanks for the advice. I have a new forestay waiting to be installed. It looks like I'll need to drill out the block for the jib halyard, though, and attach the forestay with a clevis pin and a cotter pin. Right? The jib block sheave seems to be assembled with stainless rivets.

I know, I know... I should just go all the way to the "Aussie" jib system. Cost is a concern, though. I'd like to keep doing this in small increments, if I can.

Rick

Re: Stepping Mast with New, Shorter Shrouds [Re: RickInMesa] #111948
07/18/07 06:32 PM
07/18/07 06:32 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
If rivited... it is pretty old and yes, drill and then clevis and cotter key (not ring) as that is most secure.

Even with the current standard lower forestay you need and extra 10 hole adjuster to make an easy connection (long enough).

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 654 guests, and 156 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022