09/25/07 01:45 PM
09/25/07 01:45 PM
uk
TEAMVMG Offline OP
veteran
TEAMVMG  Offline OP
veteran

uk
With reference to the RYAs [the UK sailing governing body] decision to submit to ISAF that catamarans are dropped at youth and Olympic level, and the huge uproar that now exists in UK cat sailing, a petition has been set up to demonstrate the depth of feeling on this one.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/CatamaranSubmission/index.html

I know that you guys in the US had similar problems and got over it in a similar way.

Can i ask you all [sailors and non-sailors] to sign the petition so that we can nip this one in the bud.

many thanks

Paul

Paul

teamvmg.weebly.com
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: ISAF Petition [Re: TEAMVMG] #118136
09/25/07 02:33 PM
09/25/07 02:33 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Paul,

is this just for you guys in GB, or do you want international participation? It's not clear to me, but I suppose it's just for sailors based in the UK.

Re: ISAF Petition [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #118137
09/25/07 02:36 PM
09/25/07 02:36 PM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
Carpal Tunnel

Looking for a Job, I got credi...
Paul,

is this just for you guys in GB, or do you want international participation? It's not clear to me, but I suppose it's just for sailors based in the UK.

IMO it is for everyone. The decisions by EACH management group world wide make a difference to OUR sport.

The weight of opinion worldwide is important.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: ISAF Petition [Re: scooby_simon] #118138
09/26/07 04:56 AM
09/26/07 04:56 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia
My comments

Not only am I disappointed to here of the US and UK's wishes to eliminate catamaran sailing from the Olympics, I am disappointed there is no female discipline or single handed for multihulls. I also find it hard to believe we have open and male / female disciplines in monohull dinghy classes when open classes consists of 99.9 % male competitors. Surely we are doubling up on male dinghy events at the expense of other disciplines. See below for list of classes. Perhaps ISAF should move away from the past and acknowledge there is a lot more to sailing than monohulls. I believe Dinghies, Multihulls, Yachts and Boards should be represented at an Olympic level with provisions for male and female disciplines as well as single and double handed. The IOC has only grated sailing with limit of 400 athletes. To double up dinghy disciplines seems a little selfish to other disciplines.

Regards
Stephen Medwell
Capricorn Formula 18 Catamaran AUS043
Ex Tornado Catamaran AUS260

OPEN MONOHULL SINGLE HANDED
Fin – sailed by men

MALE MONOHULL SINGLE HANDED
Laser

FEMALE MONOHULL SINGLE HANDED
Laser Radial

OPEN MONOHULL DOUBLE HANDED
49er – sailed by men

MALE MONOHULL DOUBLE HANDED

FEMALE MONOHULL DOUBLE HANDED

MALE SAILBOARD
RSX

FEMALE SAILBOARD
RSX

OPEN MULTIHULL (Double handed)
Tornado – sailed by men

MALE KEEL BOAT
Star

FEMALE KEEL BOAT
Yngling

Re: ISAF Petition [Re: Tornado_ALIVE] #118139
09/26/07 09:54 AM
09/26/07 09:54 AM
New Hampshire, USA
windswept Offline
addict
windswept  Offline
addict

New Hampshire, USA

Tornado – sailed by men

While I agree with most of what you state and concur with you that the Tornado class is male dominated, there are some women in and actively campaigning Tornados. Pease Glaser is no longer active in the class, but did compete with Jay for a couple of campaigns. Right now Carolijn Brouwer/BEL is ranked 22nd in the world on Tornados. She and her crew had a great regatta at the ISAF Worlds this year in Cascais with what I believe was a secnd place finish at the end of the regatta. I would like to see either a single-handed open class or a women's class in the Olympics, but right now I am more interested in making sure that multihulls are not completely eliminated from the Olympics.

Tom Siders
A-Cat USA-79
Tornado US775
Re: ISAF Petition [Re: windswept] #118140
09/26/07 01:38 PM
09/26/07 01:38 PM
United Kingdom
JohnReadyTornadoGBR432 Offline
stranger
JohnReadyTornadoGBR432  Offline
stranger

United Kingdom
This effects all Cat sailors: Please help, please sign the petition:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/CatamaranSubmission/index.html

The petition has 550names on it in 2 days.

The RYA has decided not to support a catamaran class at the 2012 games.

The UK equivalent of US sailing is trying to do exactly what US sailing tried a few months ago.

The attached DailySail Article sums it up quite well:
http://thedailysail.com/ISM/articles.nsf...ment&Page=1

Thanks and Regards
John Ready
Tornado GBR432

Re: ISAF Petition [Re: windswept] #118141
09/27/07 05:23 AM
09/27/07 05:23 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia

Tornado – sailed by men

While I agree with most of what you state and concur with you that the Tornado class is male dominated, there are some women in and actively campaigning Tornados. Pease Glaser is no longer active in the class, but did compete with Jay for a couple of campaigns. Right now Carolijn Brouwer/BEL is ranked 22nd in the world on Tornados. She and her crew had a great regatta at the ISAF Worlds this year in Cascais with what I believe was a secnd place finish at the end of the regatta. I would like to see either a single-handed open class or a women's class in the Olympics, but right now I am more interested in making sure that multihulls are not completely eliminated from the Olympics.

I am fully aware of Carolijn's activities in the Tormado Class as well as other women, that is why I mentioned 99.9 % all male futher up. As for Women at an Olympic Games in the T, It has been a long time since we have seen it. Paul Elvstrom and daughter Trine in 1984 was the only time and it was the great Paul himself at the helm and on the wire. I wish Carolijn the best of luck, however at the moment it is still and for a long time it has been Male dominant at the Games in the 'Open' classes.

Re: ISAF Petition [Re: Tornado_ALIVE] #118142
09/27/07 05:44 AM
09/27/07 05:44 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Sorry TA, but the danes had a mixed team in the games in Sidney2000. Helene and Stig Raagaard Hansen. Stig was at the helm while Helene ran the sheets. They finished at 14. place.

Agree that the class is mostly male, so it would be no biggie if the open status was dropped. With the spi it is no problem having a female helm (like Carolijn), but the handling on land can be heavy if the female is small.

Sorry for the digression everyone. Lets get back to the RYA and their proposal. Any news on why they do this? What is the motivation?

Re: ISAF Petition [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #118143
09/27/07 06:14 AM
09/27/07 06:14 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia
Cheers Rolf. Stand corrected

Re: ISAF Petition [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #118144
09/27/07 08:21 AM
09/27/07 08:21 AM
S
stuartoffer Offline
journeyman
stuartoffer  Offline
journeyman
S

Think you hit the BIG question there. Why are they doing this?

The straight answer is we in the UK do NOT know, the RYA have NOT appear to have consulted openly with anyone on this issue and there are nasty rumours that even when planning this they where having discussions with cat manufacturers over cat sailing. We all have our theories, but, IMO that this is basically the RYA taking a short sighted view that it cannot guarantee medals in cats, because the standard is very high, therefore not worth the investment of a youth policy or supporting a campaign.

What we have to understand is that there is a slighly different stance on 2 issues by the RYA. The are NOT supporting a cat in the 2012 games, (8 supported places with 2 places fro ISAF to decide out of the reamaining 4 classes), They are proposing to DROP the cat from the ISAF youth worlds. Result=no UK cat sailors for 2012!!!!!

Last edited by stuartoffer; 09/27/07 08:22 AM.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 655 guests, and 139 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022