01/23/03 01:44 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Dean,

I tend to agree with your evaluation, especially with regards to the big cities and their vicinities. In Brazil the worse cases are Rio and Sao Paulo. But the chances of such places being included in the list of eligible cat sailor's paradises are as remote as New York's...

It is probably incorrect to apply your Latin American experience to ALL places and ALL people in Brazil, especially most of those simple fishermen living from their work in unspoiled beaches, far from the capitals.

Remember that the country is bigger then the contiguous continental US and it would not be fair to judge Boston or US Virgin Islands after an experience of living in Miami, for example.

That said, my statement is true:

"They will care for your things out of friendship - if you are nice to them".

But maybe I should have added - "...otherwise, you are just a rich (foreign) guy - and worth taking advantage of"

Take care,

Luiz
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Places to live - Brazilian perspective [Re: Luiz] #15468
01/23/03 02:34 PM
01/23/03 02:34 PM
J
Jacques Offline
journeyman
Jacques  Offline
journeyman
J

Hi luiz

I think I know the guy in the process to take over the shipyard building this 80 ft cat (Van Peteghem Lauriot Prevost architects?), he is a very good friend, living in Ft Lauderdale. He got converted to multihulls after a long career on monos. Outremer catamarans are to my opinion the best compromise between weight/cost/performance on the market for now. Do you know these boats? I know there are some in the area.

Look at their site:http://www.catamaran-outremer.com/

Re: Places to live - Brazilian perspective [Re: Luiz] #15469
01/23/03 03:08 PM
01/23/03 03:08 PM
J
Jacques Offline
journeyman
Jacques  Offline
journeyman
J

-- An interesting fact: the Brazilian law establishes that all islands and all land 150 m from the high tide line are public property. "Waterfront property" does not assure exclusive access rights --

We have the same law in France: the principe is "Sea belongs to everybody". Great.
Living in US, I am always upset when I see beach front access barred by big signs "Do not trespass -- Private property". Something wrong.

Re: Places to live - Brazilian perspective [Re: Jacques] #15470
01/23/03 03:56 PM
01/23/03 03:56 PM
Burlington, Vermont USA
K
Kevin Rose Offline
enthusiast
Kevin Rose  Offline
enthusiast
K

Burlington, Vermont USA
While we do struggle to maintain access to waterfronts in the US, we do have a thing called the Public Trust Doctrine. Rooted in ancient Roman law that said that the rights to navigation, fishing, etc. belong to the public, the doctrine states that "navigable waters and the lands that lie beneath them" belong in the public trust. The part that is arguable, however, is to what extent the doctrine applies. When the waters are at high tide or flood stage? Or, the low water mark? (I would argue the former.)

Furthermore, here in Vermont at least, the law states that docks, etc. that extend significantly into the "public trust" areas can only be allowed if they serve the public good. Our threshold for review/permit is 75 feet.

Several years ago, a local oven-making manufacturer decided to build a 330-foot dock so that their execs could tie up their sailboats. The thing looked like a causeway extending into Lake Champlain. Seeing that, I decided to test the public trust doctrine and filed an appeal of the company's permits. I took a lot of flack from some, and got nicknamed "shorehugger" by others, but won the appeal. Blodgett Dock Sinks

Kevin Rose N6.0na #215 Lake Champlain (New England's "west coast") Burlington, Vermont
Re: Places to live US Virgin Islands [Re: Luiz] #15471
01/23/03 05:23 PM
01/23/03 05:23 PM
St Croix Virgin Islands
vicatman Offline
vicatman  Offline

St Croix Virgin Islands
you have to go through the normal steps to live here just like living in the states.....living costs can be about as much or inexpensive as you like.....my son was living in 2 bedroom cottage right on the water that was $1500 a month...me on the other hand live in an apt thats less than 500....its inland but I can see the water....so just depends on how much you want to spend

Australia! [Re: MaryAWells] #15472
01/24/03 02:39 AM
01/24/03 02:39 AM
Western Australia
Stewart Offline
old hand
Stewart  Offline
old hand

Western Australia
where in Au? where I am is perfect (west coast).. but one could easily live anywhere on the east coast from Melbourne all the way to Darwin and have more that ample sailing..
I havent sailed in Tasmania or Adelaide to give comments..

Re: Places to live - Brazilian perspective [Re: Jacques] #15473
01/24/03 10:27 AM
01/24/03 10:27 AM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
LUIZ-- An interesting fact: the Brazilian law establishes that all islands and all land 150 m from the high tide line are public property. "Waterfront property" does not assure exclusive access rights --

JACQUES-We have the same law in France: the principe is "Sea belongs to everybody". Great.
Living in US, I am always upset when I see beach front access barred by big signs "Do not trespass -- Private property". Something wrong.

LUIZ
I am afraid the reality is less democratic then that.
This law was enforced in all Spanish and Portuguese colonies in order to give the army and navy legal access to islands and shores. This was necessary for protection against pirates/corsairs.

In Brazil two important invasions of this origin occurred and were repealed: a Dutch attempt (Nassau) in the Northeast and a French attempt (Villegagnon) in Rio.

Cheers,

Luiz
Re: Places to live - Brazilian perspective [Re: Jacques] #15474
01/24/03 10:53 AM
01/24/03 10:53 AM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Jacques

Thanks for the information - I did not know that Tecna was about to be taken over.

All I know about them is that they are located in one of those sailing paradises (Aracaju) and that at least three professional multihull builders / designers in Brazil also moved to Aracaju. Maybe it will become a multihull center, someday.

I liked the Outremer cats, but remain faithfull to my Catri.

Cheers,

Luiz
Re: Australia! [Re: Stewart] #15475
01/24/03 10:58 AM
01/24/03 10:58 AM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Two questions:

1-What is the cost of living in Australia? The same as in the US but in AUD at 0.59 instead of USD?

2-any imigration constraints - I know it was not an issue in the past, but maybe things changed?

Luiz
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Mark Wasleyy), 430 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022