Vancouver, BC
Tornado Offline OP
veteran
Tornado  Offline OP
veteran

Vancouver, BC
From Today's SA Front page:

<quote>Sail On
Peter "PJ" McGonigle Wenner, 19, A member of the University of Hawaii coed sailing team died this morning from injuries he sustained in a boating accident Saturday, UH officials announced he was sailing with several team members on a private high performance skiff off of Waikiki Saturday afternoon when the accident occurred, according to a UH news release. He was admitted to Straub Hospital in critical condition Saturday evening.

PJ was on a Phillipe Kahn sponsored Pegasus boat and according to one source, Shark was driving at the time, and they T-bagged and turned turtle in a lull. Peter "PJ" Wenner and Ryan Karnes were crew. Ryan is a past lifeguard, and strong swimmer. PJ was wearing a currently legal harness with no "Quick Release" buckle. In 2006 ISAF tried to make Quick-Release buckles mandatory, but was repealed. Ryan dove many times to untie half hitches to free PJ.

PJ was rushed to the hospital, and kept on a ventilator until the family could arrive and say good bye. “My heartfelt condolences go out to P.J.’s family and friends,” Jim Donovan, UH Athletics Director said. “P.J. was a loved member of the UH Athletics Department ohana. He touched so many lives at such a young age and we will miss him dearly.”

A memorial service is scheduled for 5:00 p.m. tomorrow at the Newman Center at UH-Manoa. The service is open to the public. A family service will be held in Los Angeles, next Tuesday.

Wenner, a sophomore, was a 2007 graduate of Loyola High School in Los Angeles. In September, he competed for the UH coed team at the Pacific Coast Conference Sailing Men’s Singlehanded Championships in San Diego, and took sixth place, according to UH officials.

“Peter represented everything good about being an athlete, sailor, and student here at the University of Hawaii,” said Andy Johnson, UH sailing head coach. “He was the heart and soul of our team and we will all miss him immensely.” Peter’s brother, Matthew Wenner, is a freshman on the coed team.

11/12/08</quote>

It's ironic that Skiffs lead Frank Bethwaite to develop the keyhole trap harness for this very risk.
I have been using this setup for years now on my T and have no major issues. It's much lighter than typical stainless hook & dogbone ring setups; It does not puncture holes in the deck/hull when new crew scramble aboard; It may save a life or two one day.

Mike Dobbs
Tornado CAN 99 "Full Tilt"
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: Tornado] #160232
11/12/08 03:13 PM
11/12/08 03:13 PM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Tragic. Condolenses to friends and loved ones.

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: ksurfer2] #160260
11/12/08 05:11 PM
11/12/08 05:11 PM
Petaluma, CA
D
David_Melcon Offline
David_Melcon  Offline
D

Petaluma, CA
I switched to the Bethwaite system 3 years ago and now won't sail on boats that use the hook system.
It is brain dead that the ISAF did not adopt the Bethwaite system 4 years ago, instead chosing to wait until a fool-proof quick release system was developed.

Sometimes the followers must lead so that the leaders can follow.

Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: David_Melcon] #160311
11/13/08 04:09 AM
11/13/08 04:09 AM
Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
Dazz Offline
addict
Dazz  Offline
addict

Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
Its a bit like car seat belts all over again. we know they save lives yet is still took years to make them mandatory. In some countries they are still not required.

I changed over to quick release harness as soon as they came out. still yet to deploy it by I am glad its there.

C2 AUS 222 by Goodall design
"Darph Bobo"
Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: Dazz] #160327
11/13/08 09:31 AM
11/13/08 09:31 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

sorry to hear this...
where are the 1/2 hitches they were trying to untie?

I carry a nife in my lifevest.. that might have helped them... although in a panic, it may be tough to take out and use...

Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: ] #160328
11/13/08 09:48 AM
11/13/08 09:48 AM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Mike,
You wouldn't call one breaking a "major issue". I have been considering them myself but at 260lbs, I'm not sold on the durability of them...especially after seeing one of your broken ones. I like the whole idea of them but in a distance race, that's one faliure that could cost a life.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: ] #160329
11/13/08 09:49 AM
11/13/08 09:49 AM
I
I20RI Offline
I20RI  Offline
I

I have never understood how one gets stuck with the old system, if i lean back to far i can fall right off the boat, of course i dont have a spring piece on my hook to keep the harness in (took it off)

Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: I20RI] #160333
11/13/08 11:32 AM
11/13/08 11:32 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Originally Posted by I20RI
I have never understood how one gets stuck with the old system, if i lean back to far i can fall right off the boat, of course i dont have a spring piece on my hook to keep the harness in (took it off)
The danger is not being stuck on your trapeze loop as this is usually mobile enough to move out. The danger is getting your hook stuck around a stay or a bridal or any line really...

For example you jump/slide/crash between the boom and the trampoline during a capsize and on your way down your hook catches lets say one segment of your nicely cleated 9 to 1 mainsheet. Your weight, now pulling on both the sheet and the boom, pulls the boat turtle pinning you under until you release that #$%^#@% hook. That's the danger.

Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: pepin] #160334
11/13/08 11:56 AM
11/13/08 11:56 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Or you manage to hook onto the diamond wires on the mast while pitchpoling and pull the boat over. Got the scars to prove it;)

Release harnesses or the Bethwaite system is the way forward,

Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #160336
11/13/08 12:18 PM
11/13/08 12:18 PM
uk
TEAMVMG Offline
veteran
TEAMVMG  Offline
veteran

uk
I think that one fatality in a UK skiff was when the hook got jammed in a fitting inside the hull as it turtled. it was stainless steel vs stainless steel so no knife would have helped

Last edited by TEAMVMG; 11/13/08 12:19 PM.

Paul

teamvmg.weebly.com
Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: TeamChums] #160338
11/13/08 12:20 PM
11/13/08 12:20 PM
Vancouver, BC
Tornado Offline OP
veteran
Tornado  Offline OP
veteran

Vancouver, BC
I never broke one of mine. They are the Carbon type...and have not heard of any failures on these. The original plastic ones did have a breakage issue. There is also an aluminum version that should be very solid indeed.

These units are available on Rick's Online store.

Originally Posted by TeamChums
Mike,
You wouldn't call one breaking a "major issue". I have been considering them myself but at 260lbs, I'm not sold on the durability of them...especially after seeing one of your broken ones. I like the whole idea of them but in a distance race, that's one faliure that could cost a life.

Mike Dobbs
Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: TEAMVMG] #160339
11/13/08 12:22 PM
11/13/08 12:22 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

"I think that one fatality in a UK skiff was when the hook got jammed in a fitting inside the hull as it turtled. it was stainless steel vs stainless steel so no knife would have helped"

...except that you can (theoretically) use the knife to cut the person out of the harness.

Mike

Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: brucat] #160340
11/13/08 12:37 PM
11/13/08 12:37 PM
Vancouver, BC
Tornado Offline OP
veteran
Tornado  Offline OP
veteran

Vancouver, BC
I recall a story told to me by Alan Thompson. He capsized and got snagged under the tramp as she went turtle. He recalled not being able to inhale a full breath before being dragged under. He had a knife and tried first to saw through the mainsheet his leg or arm was tangled in. He mentioned getting to the knife was tough as one arm was tied up...luckily he had put the kife where he could access with either hand. Quickly realized he could not cut enough of the rope wraps fast enough, so tore into the tramp to get his head above water.
Things he told me to remember: 1. You likely will not have the chance to take a full breath of air as you go under, so you'll have less time than you might otherwise believe. 2. Knife needs to be as long as you can easily carry...shorties make line/tramp cutting much slower. 3. Knife needs to be accessible from either hand.

Originally Posted by brucat
"I think that one fatality in a UK skiff was when the hook got jammed in a fitting inside the hull as it turtled. it was stainless steel vs stainless steel so no knife would have helped"

...except that you can (theoretically) use the knife to cut the person out of the harness.

Mike

Mike Dobbs
Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: Tornado] #160344
11/13/08 01:31 PM
11/13/08 01:31 PM
Norfolk, VA
Dan Berger Offline
enthusiast
Dan Berger  Offline
enthusiast

Norfolk, VA
I had the misfortune of getting trapped under a boat this summer and believe me, it is scary. We capsized a Hobie 16 and it was not very catastrophic. The skipper stayed on the top hull and I let myself down easily by stepping on the boom and then sliding into the water. I was at the front beam when the boat went turtle and the jib car cought the back top of my life jacket right behind my head. It took me under and all I could get out was "I'm hooked" and that was it. I barely got a gulp of air because it happened so fast. I was in a panic and I don't think I had the air or calm to be able to get a knife or untie anything if I had to. Luckilly, the skipper was close to me and pushed me down to get me unhooked from the car. I was struggling so much to get up when I really needed to just push away from the boat. I just didn't expect to be in that situation. It was only a couple of seconds, but it seemed like a VERY long time.

It seriously put some fear in me.

In my case, I was wearing a kayak lifejacket that zipped on the side, so you had to put your head through the top. At the time, I started to struggle to take it off, but it would have been very difficult. I switched to a kayak jacket that zips up the front and is easier to get in and out of. I know a life jacket is a life saver and should be kept on, but in this case, it could have killed me.

I think that you should add to your safety check list something about quick release gear in general. I am amazed at the people I see that have something around their neck by a lanyard like a GPS or cat key.

Dan Berger
Norfolk, VA
A Cat USA139
Supercat 15
Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: Dan Berger] #160347
11/13/08 02:22 PM
11/13/08 02:22 PM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
I had a life jacket hand up also i now wear a rash guard over the harness and jacket so there is nothing to get cought.
it works really nice and add sunscreen protection to my arms.

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

http://www.capricornsailing.com/
Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: F-18 5150] #160349
11/13/08 02:44 PM
11/13/08 02:44 PM
Brisveagas
Aido Offline
enthusiast
Aido  Offline
enthusiast

Brisveagas
What a horrible story. My sincere condolences to freinds and family.

I had a pitchpole last year some time on the hobie 16. My crew slid forward and got caught up by the trap hook on the downhaul ropes at the base of the mast. I just had enough time to swim up and lift her off of the ropes before she was dragged under when the boat went turtle.

The scary thing was that it happened so quick. Also she was wearing a very cool quick release harness bar from a french company. Neither of us remembered the quick release until we got back to the beach. So i agree with previous posts that you dont have much time and in an emergency situation you may not even remember your quick release/knife.

The bethwaite system sounds like it might be the go to prevent things like this happening again.

Aido
Viper 288
Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: Aido] #160352
11/13/08 03:54 PM
11/13/08 03:54 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

That's why I said "theoretically."

I am quite superstitious, so I don't want to say too much that could literally come back to haunt me, but sometimes, there is only so much you can do.

I've had some bad experiences with trap hooks too, and fortunately, have been very lucky.

I really do feel for the families of the lost sailors. Losing someone is never easy, for any reason.

Mike

you're making assumptions.... [Re: Tornado] #160358
11/13/08 04:53 PM
11/13/08 04:53 PM
Gulf Coast
tami Offline
addict
tami  Offline
addict

Gulf Coast
Sorry to rain on your safety parade,

but nowhere in the SA article does it specifically state that the guy's buckle was fouled.

All it says is that he was wearing a harness without a quick-release buckle.

From the HONOLULU STAR-BULLETIN Thurs Nov 13 2008
http://www.starbulletin.com/news/20081112_..._team_hard.html

"When the boat Peter McGonigle Wenner was sailing in capsized Saturday afternoon, the 19-year-old became entangled in its canopy, trapping him underwater for about five minutes, authorities said...."

What's next? Do we outlaw CANOPIES? rigging? Arms and legs do get fouled in rigging, you know...

How about we learn to sail SAFER and TRAIN ourselves for these sorts of accidents rather than imposing regulation...?

Re: you're making assumptions.... [Re: tami] #160361
11/13/08 06:13 PM
11/13/08 06:13 PM
Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
ncik Offline
old hand
ncik  Offline
old hand

Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
It could be argued that quick release harnesses and such give a false sense of safety, which in itself can be dangerous.

For this reason I will not be rushing out to get one, but I will be reviewing my, and my crews, apparel for items that can catch. Will probably incorporate the rash vest over the harness and all its damn buckles. Alternatively I will get the buckles removed and sew the harness leg straps into position.

Re: Another Trap Harness Death [Re: Tornado] #160362
11/13/08 06:50 PM
11/13/08 06:50 PM
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

My bad, Mike, I thought you had the broken one I saw. It looked like it had the kevlar strands in it too.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 369 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022