11/24/08 11:22 PM
11/24/08 11:22 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
I didn't get a chance to try it this past year. Or at least I didn't sail my own boat after learning about this. The last boat I was on was an Infusion, going upwind we were double trapped, maxed on downhaul, and maxed on the rotation. I was crewing and playing both quite a bit going up wind. One of the last upwind legs, when it was still windy we pulled the boards up a bit. Seemed to settle everything down, and it was actually our best race of the weekend.

My question is, does this work well for pretty much everything? As in other boats. Typically the only time I touch the boards is going out, or coming back in. Or, if its gotten so windy that I don't bother putting the chute up.

Would pulling the boards up a bit when its windy also help stuffing the bows when overpowered downwind?

Forgive me, its winter, I'm bored.

--Advertisement--
Re: Using the boards to depower [Re: Karl_Brogger] #161352
11/25/08 02:55 AM
11/25/08 02:55 AM
Australia
macca Offline
old hand
macca  Offline
old hand

Australia
Yes and Yes smile

Basically, when you depower the rig, you can depower the hull too. So start pulling the boards up.

same for downwind, less drag from the foils helps keep the bows up.

Re: Using the boards to depower [Re: Karl_Brogger] #161356
11/25/08 04:58 AM
11/25/08 04:58 AM
Bob_Curry Offline
old hand
Bob_Curry  Offline
old hand

Yes, Yes, Yes.... blush

Karl,
Pulling the boards does help in releasing pressure from the hulls when going fast. When you get out again next year, try pulling them and see what happens. When racing, it is more important to raise the spin FIRST and get it going fast. Pulling boards are last on the priority list when singlehanding a boat with a spin in windy conditions. However before a windy race start, I do raise both boards about 6" or more depending on what my pre-start homework tells me.

In light air and sitting in on the tramp, I'll raise the windward board halfway upwind. When I round A mark and am ready to gybe(after the spin is up of course), I'll gybe, get the boat moving, then raise the new windward board as time permits. When I gybe again(if necessary), the boards are already set up and don't need to be touched again until 20 boat lengths out from the next mark. If you do it right, you will round the leeward mark with the windward board halfway up and the leeward board down. Take another look at the F17 tuning guide as a starting point for these settings. As the wind increases, pulling boards goes down on the priority list; no crew!

More to ponder over the winter!! grin

Bob wink

"The election is over, the talking is done, Your party lost, my party won. So let us be friends, let arguments pass, I’ll hug my elephant, you kiss you’re a $$.”
Liberalism = A brain eating amoeba & a failed political ideology of the 20th century!
Re: Using the boards to depower [Re: Karl_Brogger] #163703
12/30/08 12:53 PM
12/30/08 12:53 PM
Texas
T
TexasTuma Offline
TexasTuma  Offline
T

Texas
One thing to be careful of is removing the load from the boards and transfering it to the rudders... depending on boat type, Nacra 5.2/5.8 & 6.0 loaded up the rudders if you pulled the boards too much... but, this does work very well...

cheers...
Scott

Cheers...
Scott Tuma
P 18-2 Mod Turbo "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 603 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022