01/03/09 06:03 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Todd,

The very knowledgable "Catamaran Boat Mechanic" Mr John Schlossberg has been working w/ Mark Schnieder on a Mid-Boom Mainsheet Sheeting System w/ cleating for Mark's A-Cat. They've been working on it for awhile ... John makes the parts .... Mark breaks the parts ... John makes new carbon parts ... Mark breaks the new parts and has to buy more beer ... but from the last reports they are getting close to a system they are happy with ...

E-Mail John or Mark and find out what they have developed

Harry

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Mainsheet / traveller routing question [Re: ThunderMuffin] #163921
01/03/09 08:16 PM
01/03/09 08:16 PM
Michigan
PTP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan
Could one mount the mainsheet blocks upside down (so the cleat would be at the boom) then take the line out of range of the cleat- by changing the angle really high and taking the sheet out of the eyestrap holding it near the cleat- then strap a block with a swivel to the mid-boom where you want the sheet to come off?

Re: Mainsheet / traveller routing question [Re: PTP] #163931
01/03/09 09:36 PM
01/03/09 09:36 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Hey Harry,
I had mid boom sheeting and when I sheeted it would inevitably pull the boom farther than needed. It was almost like just tying a line to the boom and pulling it around. My set-up wasn't super refined , it was harken bullets and such, but I think if I try anything else it will be center/tramp sheeting or maybe both rear and tramp.
Todd

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Mainsheet / traveller routing question [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #163955
01/04/09 11:17 AM
01/04/09 11:17 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
mid boom sheeting with cleat. I took a Ronstan rachet block and modified it with some custom carbon brackets.

I can sheet freely without it cleating when I'm on the wire and then pull the sheet forward and cleat it if I need a break.

Attached Files
jse_IMG_7441.jpg (196 downloads)
Re: Mainsheet / traveller routing question [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #163956
01/04/09 11:18 AM
01/04/09 11:18 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
"DAAPLOY ZE JAANNNAAAKKKEERRR"

I promised JC that'd I'd be standing up at the A mark rounding yelling this at the top of my lungs. :P

Re: Mainsheet / traveller routing question [Re: bvining] #163959
01/04/09 11:30 AM
01/04/09 11:30 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
another view, its on a SS rod, so it swivels, flops side to side but not back to front.

I think that the cleat on the boom is better than the rachet on the tramp, cleaner, less on the tramp to get tangled in. Plus you dont have to worry about ripping the tramp.

Attached Files
jse_IMG_7440.jpg (190 downloads)
Re: Mainsheet / traveller routing question [Re: bvining] #164036
01/05/09 06:52 AM
01/05/09 06:52 AM
NQLD, Australia
Learning to Fly... Offline OP
Learning to Fly...  Offline OP

NQLD, Australia
OK getting back to the original question, as my NACRA does not have a boom it seems the preferred method is to use a continuous sheet for the traveller and main looped through a plastic ring in the centre of the tramp. Under this, I install a grommet and use shock cord from one of the beams to hold the plastic ring in place.

Currently I always go out on the trap with both the separate mains and traveller lines. With the continuous loop, the approach is to:

-going toward the weather I position the traveller at the centre and only take the mainsheet out with me on the trap, traveller goes forward to the plastic ring?

-reaching, I grab both sheet and traveller and manipulate both with one hand while under shock cord tension in order to control the boat - how?

-travelling downwind and jibing, position traveller at the inside of the lee hull keeping only the mainsheet in my hand?

Re: Mainsheet / traveller routing question [Re: Learning to Fly...] #164052
01/05/09 12:27 PM
01/05/09 12:27 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Sorry your thread got hijacked there, bud. As for your questions, I think just about everyone ties the end of the traveler to the end of the mainsheet if they have separate lines. The knot is usually tied at a point to allow almost maximum traveler play to keep the traveler car from exploding by impacting the stops on either side of the boat. I use a single line with a figure-eight tied at that point - there really isn't much difference.

I wonder, from your questions, if perhaps your mainsheet might be too short. With the main and traveler connected, you should be able to sit and trim from the front beam in light airs, to being fully trapped while up near the front beam in marginal conditions. There shouldn't be any tension from the retainer bungee in these positions - that is your maximum distance. Trapping out in the normal skipper position should leave you with some slack either on the tramp or in your lap.

In most conditions while close-hauled, you will have the traveler centered and play the mainsheet. If it is connected to the traveler or you have a single line for both, then it is easy to fish up the traveler to drop the car an inch (or more) if the wind really picks up.

For reaching in most conditions, you can ease the traveler a couple of inches (probably a little more since your Nacra has a boomless mainsail), trap out and continue to play the mainsail. A sharp crew can help out a lot by either having the traveler in hand when it's woolly, or help control pitch by playing the jib to keep max speed.

Down wind, your traveler position really depends on the type of boat and the conditions. Boats that have booms and spinnakers might ease the traveler significantly when rounding the windward mark, but often it is centered again shortly after the spinnaker is hoisted and trimmed. Boomless rigs like the Wave (if equipped with the optional traveler) certainly ease it to the fullest extent. There's a lot of variation in between. What are you sailing? Re-read the first paragraph on page 87 of Rick's book and keep in mind that it was written some time ago. I think the second sentence, "however, the best way..." is more important than the first sentence "...just inside the leeward hull" in most circumstances.

To trim the main down wind, I know guys who only hold the traveler. This is more of a gross adjustment, however. I have been seeing more and more skippers that never cleat the main down wind, and work it quite aggressively throughout the leg.

Hope that helps and that more folks weigh in to get you going as fast as you want to go.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Mainsheet / traveller routing question [Re: John Williams] #164054
01/05/09 01:22 PM
01/05/09 01:22 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

I tie my trav/main together

I cleat my main upwind... i keep it in hand, with a little tention.. so all i need is a flick to undo it

Re: Mainsheet / traveller routing question [Re: ] #164060
01/05/09 01:55 PM
01/05/09 01:55 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Ya, there is one problem w the ring/bungie system ... w/ a continueous system you only need to take one line out w/ you on the wire as you can work both the main and traveler from the same line just by changing where you grasp it. Once you use the ring/bungie system you will need to take both the main and traveller lines out w/ you

There's an ol' Hobie trick of installing foam pipe insulation(for 1"dia pipe) tied to the tramp lacing accross the rear and partially up the center in a "T" that helps keep the sheet lines on the boat

HarryMurphey

Re: Mainsheet / traveller routing question [Re: HMurphey] #164067
01/05/09 03:20 PM
01/05/09 03:20 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

i keep most of the mainsheet inboard without any bungie/rings, and about 4 feet in my lap/across my legs. this keeps the line out of the water most of the time.

I can always get to the travler line if needed (they are tied together)

Re: Mainsheet / traveller routing question [Re: ] #164095
01/05/09 08:28 PM
01/05/09 08:28 PM
NQLD, Australia
Learning to Fly... Offline OP
Learning to Fly...  Offline OP

NQLD, Australia
In response to John Williams, I sail a NACRA 4.5 (different to the American NACRA 450), 4.5 has 188 vs 165sqft and it is slightly lighter. I am in my first year of sailing, generally club racing it with a sloop rig, single handed. For the occasions I sail with crew I add a spinnaker off a 14sq.

Ever since I have had the boat the ratchet for the main has been seized. I have gotten into the habit of doing the coarse adjustment with the main then going out on the trap with the traveller for fine adjustment. I am about to buy a new Harken automatic ratchet triple, replace all the lines and then will relearn the correct technique.

Jon

Last edited by nacrajon; 01/05/09 08:35 PM.
Re: Mainsheet / traveller routing question [Re: Learning to Fly...] #164102
01/05/09 09:47 PM
01/05/09 09:47 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Send your seized blocks back to Harken - they love to get that stuff to figure out why it failed. That improves the product for all of us down the road.

The 4.5 with a 'chute must be a lot of fun, Jon. Good on ya. I used to sail a 5.0 with a 'chute once-upon-a-time...

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Mainsheet / traveller routing question [Re: Learning to Fly...] #164115
01/05/09 10:53 PM
01/05/09 10:53 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by nacrajon

Ever since I have had the boat the ratchet for the main has been seized.

WOW... sounds like you will be really happy with new gear

Re: Mainsheet / traveller routing question [Re: HMurphey] #164142
01/06/09 06:41 AM
01/06/09 06:41 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
I used to cross the (continuous) jib sheet and the main/traveler line. This trick helps to keep the main on the trampoline. I have no problem on the Stealth however, there is no gap in the back of the trampoline for the main sheet to fall through.

Re: Mainsheet / traveller routing question [Re: pepin] #164163
01/06/09 11:10 AM
01/06/09 11:10 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

"I used to cross the (continuous) jib sheet and the main/traveler line."

This seems too simple and brilliant. Has anyone else tried this? I would think that if this really worked, everyone would be doing it. What are the cons of this?

Personally, it drives me insane to have my sheets mixed on the boat, but if this really works, I could probably force myself to get used to it.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 350 guests, and 96 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022