01/19/09 03:05 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Mark,
Every time you bring up litigation and responsibility issues you put another nail in the coffin of grassroots catsailing. Most people don't even think of that kind of thing until you plant that seed in their head.

Todd
GOOD!.... THAT IS MY FREAKIN POINT... IMO ignorance is not blissfull....While you have your head burried in the sand, dreaming of the grass roots days of sailing... somebody will bite your butt off or even worse DIE ...

When you don't take 100 percent responsibility to race or continue racing.... Its dangerous to me as a sailor on the course... as PRO, and as an Organizing Authority.

Accidents happen.... We deal with them. RR 1.1 is safety first.

It WOULD NOT BE AN ACCIDENT if some one goes out racing THINKING that X and Y and Z were REMOTELY responsible for their butt's safety or rescue. That would be NEGLIGENCE!

You get it... you race off shore and don't think anybody else will save your butt. Same standard for a buoy race or a casual sail off the beach.

Just look at all of the opinions which put responsibility on the PRO and OA...Bob Curry just declared spin boat and non spin boat race courses unsafe and cooked the OA for setting up the race this way. If a serious injury had occurred in the wave/n20 crash don't you think the insurance company on the hook for the money will be blaming the OA and their insurance company.

Now That will kill off a LOT of sailing!

crac.sailregattas.com
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Tradewinds Day 1 [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #165359
01/19/09 03:23 PM
01/19/09 03:23 PM
F
fin. Offline
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
F

Early Saturday morning conditions were so bad, I decided not to even take the boat of the trailer. But, by 11:00 it had laid down to 12-15 and remained nice the rest of the day.

Sunday was good as well, 8-10 I would guess, until a little after noon and then it got very squirrely i.e crazy shifts and wind around 6 with some puffs to 10.

There was some cloud cover on both days so at times it was a little chilly, until you remembered it's freakin' January!!

Good regatta, good crowd.

btw- My wife and I finally got a room at "The Islander". It's usually sold out and a little pricey, but it would be my choice. Plenty of room for boats and trailers and nice big rooms with 'fridge, stove and the like. If you're thinking about next year, book early, very early.

While I was fiddling around with boats, my wife stopped into a place called "Ocean Dawn Suites". No room for boats, but a very nice place. They mentioned they would like to be a sponsor next year.

We like being in the Keys, regardless of weather, so "Tradewinds" is our only must regatta.

Re: Tradewinds Day 1 [Re: fin.] #165369
01/19/09 06:05 PM
01/19/09 06:05 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Well **** far...Frank and I both had a great freaking time and will be back for yet another Tradewinds installment next year!

Jake Kohl
Re: Tradewinds Day 1 [Re: waterbug_wpb] #165409
01/20/09 08:47 AM
01/20/09 08:47 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Now, if we can convince all the other people to buy N20 or F18, we wouldn't have this problem, right?

Or Waves!
Yes, I know it is redundant!
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Tradewinds Day 1 [Re: RickWhite] #165452
01/20/09 03:46 PM
01/20/09 03:46 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
If everyone had waves, 1/2 of the fleet would be asleep at the tiller by the time they got to "A" mark.

smile

But the older I get, the more appealing the "One string to pull" rule becomes

Jay

Re: Tradewinds Day 1 [Re: waterbug_wpb] #165519
01/21/09 09:09 AM
01/21/09 09:09 AM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Asleep? You have got to be kidding. If you miss a wave, miss a shift, miss anything, you will be out the back of the fleet. The boats are all the same and the only way you can do well is to be right on top of your game. Asleep?

The competition in the Wave Fleet is absolutely awesome -- anyone can win at any time.
You cannot buy a victory with a better sail, better this or better that. A newer this or a new that.
All of the major regattas rarely see any one person, sail or whatever dominate.
This is pure and simply one design sailing at is level best.

I have sailed every type of hot, high-tech boat introduced to mankind and I can tell you that I have never had more fun and had better competition than I have had in the Wave Fleet.

I know many folks don't think of the Wave as a REAL boat, but believe me it is.

Look at history, by the way. Do you remember when the Hobie 14 came into existance. I was like you back then. I was sailing Sharks and Tornados. I remember yelling at a H14 sailor, "Get that little rubber ducky out of the way!"

Yet those little rubber ducks produced some great sailors, i.e., Bob Curry, Carlton Tucker, Hobie Alter, JR., Jeff Alter, Wayne Schaffer (sp?), et al

So, please don't knock the fastest growing catamaran class in America.

Rick

Rick White
Re: Tradewinds Day 1 [Re: RickWhite] #165535
01/21/09 10:28 AM
01/21/09 10:28 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by RickWhite
Asleep? You have got to be kidding. If you miss a wave, miss a shift, miss anything, you will be out the back of the fleet. The boats are all the same and the only way you can do well is to be right on top of your game. Asleep?

The competition in the Wave Fleet is absolutely awesome -- anyone can win at any time.
You cannot buy a victory with a better sail, better this or better that. A newer this or a new that.
All of the major regattas rarely see any one person, sail or whatever dominate.
This is pure and simply one design sailing at is level best.

I have sailed every type of hot, high-tech boat introduced to mankind and I can tell you that I have never had more fun and had better competition than I have had in the Wave Fleet.

I know many folks don't think of the Wave as a REAL boat, but believe me it is.

Look at history, by the way. Do you remember when the Hobie 14 came into existance. I was like you back then. I was sailing Sharks and Tornados. I remember yelling at a H14 sailor, "Get that little rubber ducky out of the way!"

Yet those little rubber ducks produced some great sailors, i.e., Bob Curry, Carlton Tucker, Hobie Alter, JR., Jeff Alter, Wayne Schaffer (sp?), et al

So, please don't knock the fastest growing catamaran class in America.

Rick

I tend to side with Rick on this one. I've raced Waves and although the speed isn't thrilling, the racing is very very close and every mistake will cost you hugely. The lack of speed is easily offset by the evenness of the platforms.

Jake Kohl
Re: Tradewinds Day 1 [Re: Jake] #165544
01/21/09 11:08 AM
01/21/09 11:08 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
I've raced Waves and although the speed isn't thrilling, the racing is very very close and every mistake will cost you hugely. The lack of speed is easily offset by the evenness of the platforms.

This is what monohull sailors say about their slow rides... "Oh the racing is close.... you catamarans sail to the ends of the course and only see each other at the marks... What fun is that... where are the tactics.

What makes the Wave better then a Laser.... no hiking and no trapeezing?

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Tradewinds Day 1 [Re: Mark Schneider] #165546
01/21/09 11:13 AM
01/21/09 11:13 AM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Hiking helps in a blow.

How many times a year do you get to race straight up against a lot of equal boats? Once or twice? The Waves have at least seven major races per year with nearly 30 competitive boats on the line.

Not many classes can say that, can they, Mark?
Rick

Rick White
Re: Tradewinds Day 1 [Re: RickWhite] #165550
01/21/09 11:53 AM
01/21/09 11:53 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Rick... Not here to bash the wave. but I will give you the argument back.

You are making the slowness of the boat a feature, since the racing that follows is physically in close proximity.
Personally, I don't see this as a plus but a result of the boat being slow.

You are talking about 8 regattas a year in the USA. Again, that would not be a selling point to me. Regional championships without a regional schedule to race is not a plus for me.

Finally,
You are setting up the competitiveness of the fleet as a selling point and argue that most fleets can't do better.

In the USA, The 16, 17, 18, A Class, F18 and Nacra 20's all have far more racing across the country. I don't think they would agree that the wave class is remotely their equal with respect to competition. The Hobie 20, Isotope and Shark Class are more regional classes with about the same number of events.
At any rate,your argument is just an assertion and doesn't persuade me.

People race boats because they like to sail the particular boat and racing is another way to enjoy the boat and join people who share that same experience ... thus forming the class.

What is it about a WAVE relative to a laser or sunfish or pico that makes you want to sail and race it.

What is it about a WAVE that makes you want to sail it over a Hobie 14, Hobie 17, Isotope or A class.... leaving out the spin single handers.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Tradewinds Day 1 [Re: Mark Schneider] #165573
01/21/09 01:45 PM
01/21/09 01:45 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
This is not the proper thread or forum to be talking about all the advantages of any boat over another.

Re: Tradewinds Day 1 [Re: Mary] #165852
01/23/09 10:01 AM
01/23/09 10:01 AM
Indianapolis, IN - Midwest USA...
IndyWave Offline
enthusiast
IndyWave  Offline
enthusiast

Indianapolis, IN - Midwest USA...
I'll just add that it all depends on what your idea of fun is.

Indianapolis hosts the Indy 500, Brickyard 400 and US Grand Prix: the highest levels of auto racing. But each event is surrounded by numerous short-track, dirt-track and even go-cart races around the area. The top name drivers often join in on these other races, because they say they're more FUN. And they usually get beaten by the up-and-coming drivers!

What - Me Worry?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 440 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022