03/30/09 05:26 PM
03/30/09 05:26 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
You have a valid point of view. I would note... it is completely at odds with the USYRU roots of US Sailing and the general mission of US Sailing over the years.

They would probably say... those kinds of programs are organized and paid for at the local level. How would a national organization go about making this happen?

US Sailing can provide training and certification programs so that your club's liability is minimized. What else do you think they could provide?

Personally... i see "Learn to Sail programs as the responsibility of the Resort Hotels, BUILDERS, Marina's and Yacht Clubs and Small Buisness's. (that's why I suggested the crazy marketing program)

crac.sailregattas.com
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: Mark Schneider] #173274
03/30/09 05:40 PM
03/30/09 05:40 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Mark, I think it should be the mission of US Sailing to do what the Britts have been doing for years. Any wonder they always kick our butt in Olympic sailing? With a country of what, 10% the population of the US and not even 10% of available water front, they always put up a very tough Olympic Sailing Team. BUT, they have RYA sailing centers all over the place, where anyone (even an American!) may walk in and get lessons, or rent a boat, imediately, at a very reasonable cost, much less than anything US Sailing offers. ($30/day there vs. $300 for a 2 day US Sailing course). Hopefully now that SailLaser has brought their system to the USA, more -new people- will get involved.

Blade F16
Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: Timbo] #173276
03/30/09 05:47 PM
03/30/09 05:47 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Get Lance Armstrong into a boat.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: ThunderMuffin] #173278
03/30/09 06:11 PM
03/30/09 06:11 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Undecided
Don't snap your tiller extension :P

You seem to confuse other people with yourself often.

Jake Kohl
Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: hobie1616] #173280
03/30/09 06:13 PM
03/30/09 06:13 PM
Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
ncik Offline
old hand
ncik  Offline
old hand

...or turn one of sailings already existent "Lance Armstrong's" into a mainstream media personality...

We already have the performers and personalities, hell, sailing has some of the greatest and biggest personalities in society!!! We also have some of the biggest asshats who should be either turned into the person you love to hate, or kept away from the mainstream media totally. Maybe the help of a public/media relations company would be money well spent...?

I suspect the rise of Ellen Macarthur has spurred the UK's increased participation and funding in sailing. They love her and she is a great spokeswoman for the sport.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: John Williams] #173286
03/30/09 07:02 PM
03/30/09 07:02 PM
Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
dacarls Offline
old hand
dacarls  Offline
old hand

Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
Thanks JW. From the statements by Jobson himself, I was highly skeptical of his even faint interest in multihulls. The last Olympics with his just about ZERO coverage of the Multihull event, and even then negative. My doubt level is now reduced from 100% to 90%. OK 85%.
Hmm- we need to get Lance acquainted with Randy Smyth.

Dacarls:
A-class USA 196, USA 21, H18, H16
"Nothing that's any good works by itself. You got to make the damn thing work"- Thomas Edison
Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: hobie1616] #173290
03/30/09 07:32 PM
03/30/09 07:32 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
simonp Offline
enthusiast
simonp  Offline
enthusiast

Adelaide, South Australia
Originally Posted by hobie1616
Get Lance Armstrong into a boat.

Now that might actually work. When Lance announced he was going the do the tour down-under the number of cyclists on adelaide roads boomed and the event had thousands of riders and 500,000 spectators.

Simon
BLADE F16 AUS405
Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: simonp] #173304
03/30/09 08:29 PM
03/30/09 08:29 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
True. ... Lance Armstrong drives cycling participation. Michael Phelps drives swimming participation. Ellen McCarther never won anything but at less then 5 foot tall... She struck a chord racing around the world alone. They happen to be freaks of nature with extraordinary accomplishments... but OK..

Do you want your US Sailing dues to go into sports marketing of some of the sport's sailing elite to the mainstream? Who would you pick right now?

Here is one sad example.. ... John Kerry went windsurfing on his vacation prior to the fall election cycle.... The PR and photo's did not work out so well for him in the election... or for windsurfing (elitist yachting type... who the hell goes windsurfing... tacking.. whats that about... OH what a flip flopper...) .

Probably the last well known US sailing personality was Steve Fosset... Should US Sailing market him? Before Fosset... we had Dennis Conners and Ted Turner. I have to tell you that I would not want a dime of my dues money going to market these individuals as a way to grow the sport of sailing. They did a fine job of promoting themselves. I wonder how most Americans feel about the America's Cup these days?

At the other end of the What should US Sailing do spectrum are lots of sensible people don't think we need much organization at the national level at all. .. As they put it.. "Hey... don't tell me what to do.... keep the taxes low... keep an eye on those controlling europeans and don't make a lot of rules to bother me with." Many cat sailors are the same way.... Oh... why can't we go back to day where we had a party and some racing. We don't need a stinking organization with lots of rules, insurance waivers, etc etc.

What do you really want US Sailing to do?

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 03/30/09 08:31 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: Mark Schneider] #173309
03/30/09 08:45 PM
03/30/09 08:45 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Ellen McCarther never won anything ...

Say what? how about setting the single handed round the world non-stop sailing record? I would call that "winning something".

Jake Kohl
Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: Jake] #173311
03/30/09 08:57 PM
03/30/09 08:57 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
I thought she came to fame by just finishing in one of those many solo round the world races... That got her all the pub etc etc and she then had the cash and name recognition to do the round the world passage in a custom boat. "She did not win it" per say. Her image was created and marketed in that first go and she got knighted...or whatever they do to women over there... in her second go.! There hasn't been a third go at it. Does it grow the sport of sailing in Great Britan ... I don't know. marginally perhaps.
I doubt it's a good use of USSA dues to try and grow the sport by marketing some names.

( I can't say I have noticed lots of short women sailors coming up the ladder)

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 03/30/09 09:02 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: Mark Schneider] #173314
03/30/09 09:45 PM
03/30/09 09:45 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I thought she came to fame by just finishing in one of those many solo round the world races... That got her all the pub etc etc and she then had the cash and name recognition to do the round the world passage in a custom boat. "She did not win it" per say. Her image was created and marketed in that first go and she got knighted...or whatever they do to women over there... in her second go.! There hasn't been a third go at it. Does it grow the sport of sailing in Great Britan ... I don't know. marginally perhaps.
I doubt it's a good use of USSA dues to try and grow the sport by marketing some names.

( I can't say I have noticed lots of short women sailors coming up the ladder)

Oh, she won it. At 28 years of age she beat a record set by Joyon that many thought would stand for years (he beat the previous long standing record by 20 days only months earlier). Joyon did get the record back later but she did own the record.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/sailing/4229079.stm

Jake Kohl
Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: ncik] #173319
03/30/09 10:54 PM
03/30/09 10:54 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by ncik
I suspect the rise of Ellen Macarthur has spurred the UK's increased participation and funding in sailing. They love her and she is a great spokeswoman for the sport.
Don't forget Sam Davies, the latest UK woman to do a solo circumnavigation in the Vendee Globe.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: Mark Schneider] #173320
03/30/09 10:57 PM
03/30/09 10:57 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Before Fosset... we had Dennis Conners and Ted Turner. I have to tell you that I would not want a dime of my dues money going to market these individuals as a way to grow the sport of sailing.

Awwww, come on. Captain Outrageous would be a real shot in the arm for sailing. Besides, he also sailed an TheMightyHobie18.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: Mark Schneider] #173326
03/31/09 04:19 AM
03/31/09 04:19 AM
ncik Offline
old hand
ncik  Offline
old hand

True. ... Lance Armstrong drives cycling participation. Michael Phelps drives swimming participation. Ellen McCarther never won anything but at less then 5 foot tall... She struck a chord racing around the world alone. They happen to be freaks of nature with extraordinary accomplishments... but OK..

Do you want your US Sailing dues to go into sports marketing of some of the sport's sailing elite to the mainstream? Who would you pick right now?

Here is one sad example.. ... John Kerry went windsurfing on his vacation prior to the fall election cycle.... The PR and photo's did not work out so well for him in the election... or for windsurfing (elitist yachting type... who the hell goes windsurfing... tacking.. whats that about... OH what a flip flopper...) .

Probably the last well known US sailing personality was Steve Fosset... Should US Sailing market him? Before Fosset... we had Dennis Conners and Ted Turner. I have to tell you that I would not want a dime of my dues money going to market these individuals as a way to grow the sport of sailing. They did a fine job of promoting themselves. I wonder how most Americans feel about the America's Cup these days?

At the other end of the What should US Sailing do spectrum are lots of sensible people don't think we need much organization at the national level at all. .. As they put it.. "Hey... don't tell me what to do.... keep the taxes low... keep an eye on those controlling europeans and don't make a lot of rules to bother me with." Many cat sailors are the same way.... Oh... why can't we go back to day where we had a party and some racing. We don't need a stinking organization with lots of rules, insurance waivers, etc etc.

What do you really want US Sailing to do?

Forget the asshats (Dennis Conner indeed!), look for dinghy sailors, give em a few bucks, get em on TV/radio/internet. They probably don't need to be Olympic level sailors, just someone very personable, reasonably attractive (photogenic) and has a chance at being towards the pointy end of a big fleet. Dare I say a laser sailor?

Steve Fosset wasn't bad, but probably suffered from tall-poppy syndrome from teh general public.

Look at the promotion Rohan Veal has given to moths...he is a sailing house-hold name. Ellen Macarthur was a hit on Top Gear when she set the fastest lap time! BAM, the opinion of a few million UK non-sailors changed overnight with that one appearance. It surely led to more ppl getting into sailing. Both personable, reasonably attractive, and at the pointy end of their fleets. Both also happened to promote themselves very well online.

Not my dues, I'm from down-under. OK, you can ignore me now if you wish. And I'm not in marketing at all, just seems like common sense from the cheap seats. It's all been done before, just look at similar sports for marketing strategies.

It all goes back to the basic goals of US Sailing/Yachting Australia/ISAF, and if building sailing participation is part of your constitution or objectives, then this seems like a simple and relatively cheap solution. Alot of the sailing marketing/promotion/media is aimed at existing sailors, preaching to the choir. It's just a matter of deciding whether or not the association wishes to build fleets.

But we all know what sailors are like, cheap...

Last edited by ncik; 03/31/09 04:26 AM.
Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: Mark Schneider] #173350
03/31/09 09:39 AM
03/31/09 09:39 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
I thought she came to fame by just finishing in one of those many solo round the world races... That got her all the pub etc etc and she then had the cash and name recognition to do the round the world passage in a custom boat. "She did not win it" per say.

Right. Ellen McArthur never won anything. per say. Let me refresh your memory:

2000, Plymouth to Newport in 14 days, 23 hours, 11 minutes. This is the current record for a single-handed monohull east-to-west passage, and also the record for a single-handed woman in any vessel.

Vendée Globe 2000, second. With a time of 94 days, 4 hours and 25 minutes, still the world record for a single-handed, non-stop, monohull circumnavigation by a woman.

2004 Ambrose Light, Lower New York Bay to Lizard Point, Cornwall in 7 days, 3 hours, 50 minutes. This set a new world record for a transatlantic crossing by women, beating the previous crewed record as well as the singlehanded version.

In 2005, Jules verne record. Single-handed non-stop circumnavigation. 27,354 nautical miles (50,660 km) at an average speed of 15.9 knots. Her time of 71 days, 14 hours, 18 minutes 33 seconds beat Joyon's then world record time by 1 day, 8 hours, 35 minutes and 49 seconds. Record recaptured by Joyon in 2007.

And the most important record: She hold top spot on the Top Gear track in a Susuki Liana. Beat that!

Full CV there: http://www.btteamellen.com/ellen/feature-articles.asp?sid=20477

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: ncik] #173355
03/31/09 09:58 AM
03/31/09 09:58 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
I think you are very much on target Nick. But unfortunately, here in America, Sailing is seen as some weird pussy sport for the Elite, rich, pussys who can't play football or baseball.

Every time I mention it to the guys I fly with, they say, "I'll bet that's expensive..." And our access to good water is somewhat limited to yacht clubs, since most of our public beaches do NOT allow sailboats or wind surfers or kites to launch with swimmers in the area. Public Safety, Injuries, Lawsuits and all that.

And we have a simple alternative available at most beach locations, Jet Ski rentals. I hate them, but the public loves them. Fast, zero learning curve, great for a quick 30 minutes of "Fun" jumping over waves. Compare that to leaning how to sail when the wind is too light, or too strong, or the waves are too big, etc, etc, etc. and you can see why Americans buy Jet Ski's instead of sailboats.

And that's the ones who actually get off the couch and go to the beach. Quite a few Dads are sitting on the couch every Sunday, watching NASCAR, or Football, or whatever other sport is on TV on Sunday. You know that 60% of Americans are overweight and 30% are obese, and our kids are getting that way too. They don't want to go out and play when they can get on the internet and Facebook all day.

I think we shuould get Tiger Woods into sailing, he lives in Orlando part of the year. But I'll bet his big money contract fobids it, as he might injure his knee again or something.

The bottom line (pun intended) is that there is just not much -money- to be made with sailing. It doesn't bring in the advertising revenue that the Daytona 500 does because the public doesn't understand it, or watch it on TV. No advertising means no TV visability means no notice by most of the public, means no growth.

I know Gary Jobson has been trying for many years to increase the TV visability of sailing on ESPN, etc. I hope he can continue to push ESPN Producers to show more sailing and get some big money sponsors to pony up some money for more TV coverage of events.

Obama is pushing for a new "Green" economy, Sailing would fit right in, all we have to do is figure out how to present it to the public in a way that makes people want to try it. Magazine pictures of 10 guys sitting on the rail of a Grand Prix 50 footer is not the way. We need to push the bottom end, the Opti's, Lasers, Hobie 16's, etc. People see those as more affordable, entry level and might try that. Get Tiger on a Hobie 16 with his hot wife, that would get some golfers thinking about it! grin

Blade F16
Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: Timbo] #173359
03/31/09 10:11 AM
03/31/09 10:11 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We're probably missing a sponsorship opportunity precisely because of the economy and "couch potato syndrome".

Consider the idea of approaching any of the national convenience store chains. A rational scenario goes like this: the store gives away free coupons at any regatta in hopes of increasing store traffic. The coupons can be for small items i.e. ice, sodas and the like with a few loss leaders- $5 off a full tank of gas.

That's a simple beginning. Once a relationship is established it can be expanded.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: pgp] #173360
03/31/09 10:20 AM
03/31/09 10:20 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Budweiser seems to sponsor everything in the USA, except a sailboat. They do sponsor regattas sometimes, and Heineken does as well, just not in the US. Now that InBev bought Bud, maybe we can get some of the Euro management types to sponsor more sailing events.

Blade F16
Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: ncik] #173361
03/31/09 10:22 AM
03/31/09 10:22 AM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay

It will be nice to have someone of Gary Jobsons reknown to be US Sailing President .... but one person is not going to be able to wave their "Magic Wand" and make it "all better". It takes ordinary people like you and I to do the heavy lifting. To make the time in our busy lives and help our sport w/ helping newbies freely .... taking kids for rides .... contacting local politicions about public water access .... basicly giving our time and energy .... Not just by only going racing ... either bouys or distance.

It has taken me years to "grow" to this point, for years I was a member of the "Backyard Yacht Club". I kept my boats in the backyard and only went racing. Years ago I was involved in helping the Special Olypics ... having the HONOR to be a Sailing Coach at the New Haven Special Olypics World Games which was the first time for sailing in the world games. But then I lost my way ... I allowed my job to become the "be all and end all" in my life .... I made several company owners rich w/ my work and efforts .... but it wasn't working, something was missing.

About five years ago I stumbled across a small local yacht club and I joined ... I started to help out ... I took the US Sailing Basic Race Management Course ... this year since last year I had worked in every position on RC except PRO I'll be PRO for some of the club races. Last fall I offered to make a Meatball and Tomato Gravy Dinner as a Fund Raiser for the Jr Sailing Program ... on March 28th we served just over 100 people and raised just slightly over $800.00 for the Jr Sailing Team for equipment and expenses to travel to other events including Regional Jr Championships.

So you may find a great leader to lead ... but it will eventually come down to the "rank and file" members .... who will volunteer their time, knowledge and positive belief that will make things happen.

Example: Does anyone know how the worldwide Special Olympics Sailing Program came to be??? Who stated it initially??? .... It was started by a small group of "local guys" from Cecial County MD who saw a need in their community ... they got together w/ the parents of the special "needs kids" and Hobie Fleet 54 ... and started a program that today has grown to be WORLDWIDE!!! No bigwigs ... no government money .... just "ordinary folk" doing something for their nieghbors!!!! AND IT WAS BEACH CATTERS/MULTIHULLERS WHO LED THE WAY !!!!

And Gary Jobson was there in New Haven to open the Sailing Venue and start the racing .....

Harry Murphey

Re: Gary Jobson to be Pres. US Sailing. [Re: Timbo] #173365
03/31/09 11:08 AM
03/31/09 11:08 AM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by Timbo
Budweiser seems to sponsor everything in the USA, except a sailboat. They do sponsor regattas sometimes, and Heineken does as well, just not in the US. Now that InBev bought Bud, maybe we can get some of the Euro management types to sponsor more sailing events.
Not any more. After thirty years Bud canceled their sponsorship of Kenny Bernstein's AA fuel car.

InBev is a heavily leveraged deep pockets company. Their motto is Fill 'em Up.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 413 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022