It will be nice to have someone of Gary Jobsons reknown to be US Sailing President .... but one person is not going to be able to wave their "Magic Wand" and make it "all better". It takes ordinary people like you and I to do the heavy lifting. To make the time in our busy lives and help our sport w/ helping newbies freely .... taking kids for rides .... contacting local politicions about public water access .... basicly giving our time and energy .... Not just by only going racing ... either bouys or distance.

It has taken me years to "grow" to this point, for years I was a member of the "Backyard Yacht Club". I kept my boats in the backyard and only went racing. Years ago I was involved in helping the Special Olypics ... having the HONOR to be a Sailing Coach at the New Haven Special Olypics World Games which was the first time for sailing in the world games. But then I lost my way ... I allowed my job to become the "be all and end all" in my life .... I made several company owners rich w/ my work and efforts .... but it wasn't working, something was missing.

About five years ago I stumbled across a small local yacht club and I joined ... I started to help out ... I took the US Sailing Basic Race Management Course ... this year since last year I had worked in every position on RC except PRO I'll be PRO for some of the club races. Last fall I offered to make a Meatball and Tomato Gravy Dinner as a Fund Raiser for the Jr Sailing Program ... on March 28th we served just over 100 people and raised just slightly over $800.00 for the Jr Sailing Team for equipment and expenses to travel to other events including Regional Jr Championships.

So you may find a great leader to lead ... but it will eventually come down to the "rank and file" members .... who will volunteer their time, knowledge and positive belief that will make things happen.

Example: Does anyone know how the worldwide Special Olympics Sailing Program came to be??? Who stated it initially??? .... It was started by a small group of "local guys" from Cecial County MD who saw a need in their community ... they got together w/ the parents of the special "needs kids" and Hobie Fleet 54 ... and started a program that today has grown to be WORLDWIDE!!! No bigwigs ... no government money .... just "ordinary folk" doing something for their nieghbors!!!! AND IT WAS BEACH CATTERS/MULTIHULLERS WHO LED THE WAY !!!!

And Gary Jobson was there in New Haven to open the Sailing Venue and start the racing .....

Harry Murphey