They are not ADVERTISED properly.

Mary, Exactly, that is what I was trying to point out in an earlier post, the one about National Geo. Adventure Magazine. Not a single "Learn to sail" ad in the whole issue except one tiny Colgate ad way in the back. I would think both US Sailing and Hobie Cat would be running a joint, full page ad in every outdoor type magazine you could find, from Hiking to Biking to Nat. Geo Adventure.

And Mark, I think Hobie is selling a lot more kayaks because;

1. they are much cheaper than a Hobie Getaway, Wave or H16

2. there is zero learning curve.

3. you can launch it just about anywhere and no trailer is required.

I think if Sailing could reduce these obsticles by setting up sites where a cheap lesson could be had on a cheap sailboat, with minimal time and expense, a lot more people would try it.

I am reminded of that old saying, "There are only two things we need more of, Time and Money."

So take away the Time/Money obsticles, make sailing cheap and quick to learn, you will get more people started. Get more people started, you get more people racing. More people racing means more US Sailing membership. More US Sailing racers means a better Olympic team, not that I care about the Olypmics, because just like the America's Cup, I think it's a huge waste of time and money, but at least it's not -my- time or -my- money.

Last edited by Timbo; 04/12/09 11:33 AM.

Blade F16