he wants to grow the sport and he knows two things will do that, speed and fun.

Grow the sport.... What do you mean?
It's often said but never thought about... I think every US Sailing President is 100 % committed to growing the sport! How becomes the problem.... Jim Capron's mandatory membership idea was to get funds to do stuff.... err... not a good plan!

If Gary Jobson got a series of films produced using Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, which grabbed the public's attention and motivated thousands and thousands of couch potatoes to buy 20 year old boat, a bottle of wine and then get's them to happily putter around on the weekend for a day sail with 10 kids on the bat... is that "Growing the sport"

How about an action adventure with James Bond being chased on his Hobie (all catamarans are Hobbies). Is that what we need to grow the sport?

Is there a difference between Sailing and the sport of Sailing? Should my dues paid for the admin of racing go to support "sailing"?

What if he took all of the dues and funded learn to sail programs. Is that growing the sport and how he should spend money?

So... what kind of plan do you want Jobson to implement.

Personally, I will be delighted if US Sailing is able to focus on the core job of simply being a first class admin for the sport. We don't need national sailing coaches screwing up by sending a mixed team to what turns out to be a men's only international championship. We need administration that is absolutely fair and impartial for the elite sailors competing for the Olympics and we need admin which represents all disciplines equally to ISAF. We need admin that does not require the USOC to order a rewrite of the basic rules for fair sailing and redress of the sport.
I would like the damn web site to work... it seems every time i go to a saved link... it's dead and I have to find crap all over again.

Perhaps we need some reinvention of the admin details for
Rules and appeals, Judges, RC's, Training certifications
Scheduling events ladder events that feed ISAF world events.
Handicap rating administration is a bit like invading Afganistan... always a quagmire ... but most think we need some standards. They seem OK to me, but others might see needed improvement.
There are all admin functions that support racing at the local level.

Personally, I want a US Sailing Pres who steps into a sailing region and behind his leadership works to reinvigorate the yacht clubs and racing fleets that are the core of the sport of sailing. Leadership is needed to right size the schedule to the level of interest, coordinate and focus the rank and file around a racing plan to improve their racing experience. If the local PHRF C class is just alive...I think some attention by US Sailing might get the class moving (or like Obama with GM...) perhaps a change of leadership is needed. US Sailing should support YC's that have a plan and are working their plan and get their regional sailing authorities in action.

So... What do you mean by grow... What do you think YOUR National organization could or should do under Jobson's leadership?

crac.sailregattas.com