That's good to hear that Gulfport Yacht Club is starting a Youth Summer Sailing Program.

Earlier in this thread I stated that in the end I believe it will ultimately come down to us, the rank and file sailors that will need to do the hard work to rebuild the interest in sailing and racing sailboats.

And there are many ways to accomplish this mission ....

Last winter I offered to make "Homemade Meatballs and Tomato Gravy" for a Jr Sailing Fundraiser Dinner. The Jr Sailors from the sailing school came and served the meal including bussing the tables. RHYC's club manager and the chef for the club also got involved, both of them volunteering their own personal time to come and help w/ the dinner. The event was a HUGE success with a large turn-out of club members, standing room only in fact. We served 106 plates which is the largest number of dinners served at RHYC (at a non-regatta event) in recent memory. We raised over $800.00 for the Jr Sailing Program .... the kids had a great time and felt that they worked and helped w/ the success .... the clubmembers had a great bonding experience w/ the Jr's and other members. It worked to a level beyond my wildest expectations. ( I thought it would be great to serve 25-30 dinners and raise $100-200.00 ....)

Also last year RHYC had a "Ladies Only: Learn to Sail Day". RHYC-Sailing School has (6) 420's which were rigged up and teams of (3) women were give a boat and raced around a short course w/ the instructors from the sailing school following along in 14' Boston Whalers giving advice. The Ladies are still talking about that day and there is a another "Ladies Day" scheduled this year (there maybe more then one actually).

RHYC also has 3-4 Sunfishes that have been donated to the club .... now the sailing school doesn't use them (they are using Opti's, Laser Radials, and 420's), so we are going to refurbish the Sunfishes and make them availible to any club member to use FREE, so they or their children can learn to sail.

My point here is that it is the rank and file club members that are volunteering their time and sweat ... along w/ some dollars that are making this happen. NOT some national organization .... What helped make "America" great was the fact that everyone would pitch in and help ..... have you pitched in an helped ???? Volunteered a day (or two) to teach someone to sail ... helped you local JR Program by volunteering to be on RC ..... or fix up a donated boat .... etc, etc

Talk is talk ... we must each personaly "ACT". And each small individual action can and will add up ....

Harry