Pete, great idea, but will people first have to join the club to get into the learn to sail program? I think they need to learn to sail first, then join the club after they are "addicted". It's called Heroin maketing. Give them the first fix or two free, then once they are hooked, you get them to join.

Years ago I bought a JY15 to race with my twin daughters when they were only 6yrs. old because the then owner of JY boats, Dave Eck, had a great program where you could "borrow" a JY15 -FREE- for a few races. He had several older boats available for loaners for new people to sail at regattas and club races. After I raced one of the loaners a few times, I bought a brand new one.

See Mark, it works! If you expect a newbie to shell out the bucks necessary to first join a YC, then again for lessons, then again for a boat, well, how's that plan been working out so far? Nobody is going to spend that kind of money until AFTER they learn how to sail and see something they like in joining the Club, or Hobie Fleet, or what have you.

Last edited by Timbo; 04/13/09 09:15 AM.

Blade F16