Killer hook? Nothing, but we've never been a mainstream sport and probably never will be. I suspect our main source of spectators (and advertising revenue) is probably the internet. In the last Olympics, the video reporting of sailing, what there was of it, was quite good.

One of our main strengths is that we don't need to build special venues or combine our entire fields. Whereas track and field wants their competitors in one stadium in the same time span, we could hold the dingy events in Australia and the multihulls in Europe.

I suspect further, that we are a pita to the IOC. They might be willing to pimp us out to a large corporation i.e. GE. This "sponsor" could then sprinkle the events out over the entire globe and include every class desiring to participate. Instead of eleven medals there could be a thousand, if IOC thought it appropriate.

If we start thinking of ourselves, organizationally, not as a sport, but as a commodity to be marketed we'll be a lot better off.

Just a thought.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.