Central Texas
D
Derrick Offline OP
stranger
Derrick  Offline OP
stranger
D

Central Texas
I'm a new member, but I've been a reader for several years There is some great advise on this board and I hope to add to it from time to time. My question is how do you determine what your correct sail number is? I'm in the process of putting a '86 Prindle 19 back on the water and the sails that came with the boat do not have a number. They are probably replacements. Can you tell from the ID number what it is? My number is SURE0142H86. Any help decoding it would be appreciated. The local club (and most others)needs a number for their races. Thanks

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Sail Numbers [Re: Derrick] #183383
06/28/09 10:22 PM
06/28/09 10:22 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
You can put any number you want on your sail, as long as there is not an identical number racing against you, you'll be OK. There really is no "Official" numbering system anymore like there used to be many years ago when it was just Hobie's and Prindle's and they used hull numbers like the Mono guys still do.

If you are going to join a one-design type class (I don't think the Prindle 19 has one at this time) you would have to check with the class registration people and see if anyone else already has the number you want to use, but other than that, pick your favorite "Lucky Numbers" and use those. Oh, and it could be just a single number, or two, three, what ever. We have had two boats show up with the same sail number at a few regattas but a quick modification with duct tape will fix that. 1 becomes 7, that type of thing.

Good Luck!

Blade F16
Re: Sail Numbers [Re: Timbo] #183388
06/28/09 11:06 PM
06/28/09 11:06 PM
Central Texas
D
Derrick Offline OP
stranger
Derrick  Offline OP
stranger
D

Central Texas
Thanks Timbo. I may have showed my age a little, but now that you mention it, I do remember a system tied to hull numbers. The boat is coming together great and I should have it on the water soon.

Any advice on the MX conversion?

Re: Sail Numbers [Re: Derrick] #183390
06/28/09 11:12 PM
06/28/09 11:12 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Mx Conversion is excellent,especially if you sail heavy or in light air.Put a kite on it while your at it.I had an MX with a 475 sq. ft. chute, it was awesome.
Todd

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Sail Numbers [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #183392
06/29/09 12:38 AM
06/29/09 12:38 AM

D
DougSnell
Unregistered
DougSnell
Unregistered
D

My old boat had James Bond look after I rebuilt it so I chose "007". Sail marker will put any number you want on it. At least Sabre did when Bob Curry cut mine.

Doug

Attached Files
cd1260_R1_41.sized.jpg (239 downloads)
Last edited by DougSnell; 06/29/09 12:39 AM.
Re: Sail Numbers [Re: ] #183433
06/29/09 09:31 AM
06/29/09 09:31 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Here's a thought for you guys with non-sailing wives (like me) who might need a little -help- with new boat purchase approval.

30 years ago I flew for a charter company out of Boston. The owner wanted to buy a Lear Jet. Just like us with our boats, you can -never- have enough airplanes!

Anyway, his business partner (wife) said the same thing our wives say when we try to justify a new boat. So he says, "It's for YOU honey! So we can fly to our winter house in Sarasota in 3 hours instead of wasting a whole day on the Airlines."

But here's the part you need to put in your play book, "I'll name it after YOU!"

Well, nobody puts "names" on their Lear Jet, (this ain't WW2) so instead he put their wedding anniversary date on the tail as the official FAA Registered Tail Number: 856JB, which stood for Aug. 1956, John and Bernice.

So next time you want a new boat (or just a new mainsail?) tell her you are going to;

1: name the boat after her or
2: put your anniversary as the sail number.

Hey, it's worth a shot.

Blade F16
Re: Sail Numbers [Re: Timbo] #183435
06/29/09 09:38 AM
06/29/09 09:38 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

3: get a clean set of sheets ready... .you may be sleeping on the couch for a while! smile

Re: Sail Numbers [Re: ] #183436
06/29/09 09:41 AM
06/29/09 09:41 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I think my next boat will be named

"what part of HELL NO don't you understand?"

Or maybe "Over my dead body", but that sounds a little creepy

Jay

Re: Sail Numbers [Re: Timbo] #183438
06/29/09 09:45 AM
06/29/09 09:45 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Timbo,
It's also a good idea to name your boat for your children. That's what my father did. His Lightning was Mary Bet, and his Shark catamaran was Mary Bet. It seemed to work, because Mary and Betty are still sailing and racing more than 50 years later.

Re: Sail Numbers [Re: waterbug_wpb] #183439
06/29/09 09:48 AM
06/29/09 09:48 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Still my all time favorite boat name was the big IOR boat, back in the mid 80's I think, "FUJIMO!"

Everyone thought it was some type of Japanees word for Storm, or Wind or something because there was another big IOR boat named TSUNAMI. But when they interviewd the owner and asked what it meant he said, "I named it after my ex-wife. It means "F-U Jane, I'm moving OUT!"

Priceless.

My next door neighbor had a ratty old wooden cabin cruiser of a powerboat he named DILLIGAF. It looked like crap, paint peeling, missing a window or two, etc.

But that name?? I had to ask. He just looked at me and said, "DO I Look Like I Give A Fk?"

Blade F16
Re: Sail Numbers [Re: Derrick] #183440
06/29/09 09:50 AM
06/29/09 09:50 AM
Dallas, TX
L
lonestarcat Offline
lonestarcat  Offline
L

Dallas, TX
Do you have the newer longer elliptical rudders? Those are worth the update. The MX conversion is worth it if you are purchasing new sails.

Prindle 19MX
Re: Sail Numbers [Re: lonestarcat] #183478
06/29/09 12:45 PM
06/29/09 12:45 PM
Central Texas
D
Derrick Offline OP
stranger
Derrick  Offline OP
stranger
D

Central Texas
No. I still have the original square bottom ones. What do the elliptical rudders do for the boat? Also, somewhere on this board I have read that you should keep the old style jib and just go with the MX main if you are going to run a chute. Any thoughts? I'd bet a used set up would be pretty hard to find. Plus when you consider the cost, it makes more sense to sell the boat and buy a newer one.

Re: Sail Numbers [Re: Derrick] #183520
06/29/09 04:52 PM
06/29/09 04:52 PM
Dallas, TX
L
lonestarcat Offline
lonestarcat  Offline
L

Dallas, TX
Longer rudders make up for the somewhat skimpy centerboards preventing lateral drift, providing lift, and better control going downwind with speed, especially with the MX sailplan. I decided that I ever wanted to sail with spin I would sell the P19 and buy a boat that was designed for one. I was perfectly happy sailing the original rig, original rudders for 12 years. If you would like more power, more speed, etc. then you might prefer the upgrades. The new jib comes all the way down to the level of the bridle tangs. That leaves no room for the spinnaker pole. I suspect you have read Harry's posts on the subject.

Prindle 19MX
Re: Sail Numbers [Re: Timbo] #183530
06/29/09 07:18 PM
06/29/09 07:18 PM
G
Got Wood Offline
journeyman
Got Wood  Offline
journeyman
G

Hi Timbo

You can probably youtube, Kevin Bloody Wilson, theres bound to be his song from the same name DILLIGAF.

Taipan AUS329 'Got Wood'
Mosquito 752 'Sticky Finger'
HARDWOOD RACING TEAM
Re: Sail Numbers [Re: Got Wood] #183533
06/29/09 08:42 PM
06/29/09 08:42 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Thanks! I'll look for it.

Blade F16
Re: Sail Numbers [Re: Timbo] #183544
06/29/09 10:25 PM
06/29/09 10:25 PM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
My next boat will be

"Jenny"

Sail number

Last edited by hobie18rich; 06/29/09 10:25 PM.

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

http://www.capricornsailing.com/
Re: Sail Numbers [Re: F-18 5150] #183631
06/30/09 10:06 AM
06/30/09 10:06 AM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
My ears began to burn and my nose began to twitch .... someone mention my name????

Hi Bob and Hi Derrick,

How's it going???

Derrick, have you researched some of my previous posts here on 'CatSailer' about the P19(MX)? Have you sailed on a P19? It's one of the best, smoothest sailing beach cats there is ... and the way the spray from the leeward bow makes pretty rainbows in the sunlight .... awesome. Its like you are making you own personal rainbow, it makes me smile everytime it occurs.

Thats the spiritual aspect, now onto some technical issue ....

First check you front crossbar for stress/fractures/cracking at the end of were the dolphin striker attaches to the crossbar near the hulls. You will find a post on how to reinforce and stiffen this area of the crossbar but it must be done before it fractures.

The issue w/ the origonal 'short' rudder blades is when you are reaching along the leeward bow is driven deeper into the water and the sterns lift up .... until the bow is actually deeper in the water then the rudder blade. This means the rudder blade is in 'disturbed' turbulent water w/o any laminar flow over the rudder blade .... this results in ... NO HELM CONTROL!!!! You find yourself on a screaming beach cat and you can not steer. Now this is a minor issue until you are in a fleet of other boats (like P19's) racing along and you notice the guy in front of you looking at their rudders and looking around nervously ... and the guy in front of him is also looking at their rudders and nervously looking around ..... and the guy in front of him is .... And everyone is praying the samething ... Please Lord, don't let anyone screw up ....

Now the simple solution is that the rudder blade must be longer, this can be done several ways. The 'origonal' P18 square bottomed rudder blades were longer and some owners have converted to them but they are getting hard to find. You can extend your P19 blades cutting off the last 1", hollowing out the inside (3-4"'s), adding a wooden core shaped to fit inside the hollowed out blade, and then re-skin w/ epoxy and fiberglass cloth. Or you can purchase the new longer 'elipitcal' blades ... but .....

The new blades have a habit of splitting along the seam from the top down. The blade is manufactured by making the two fiberglass sides seperately , then they are placed in a mold and injected w/ a "filler. Think of the filler as a "putty". The splitting at the rudder head along the seam is caused by internal shear stresses generated by the blade deflecting/bending. (Example: Place your palms together, and slide one palm against the other while tring to curve your fingers to one side or the other ... see what happens???) Look carefully for the seam cracking at the lock down pin up and over the head of the rudder blade. This can be prevented by locking the two sides together, I did this by drilling a pattern of 18-20 3/8" holes from side to side and installing 3/8" wooden dowels set in WEST Epoxy. Sanded them flush (also removing the gelcoat) and I also using 3" wide fiberglass cloth tape sealed the seam w/ two layers of epoxy and tape/cloth. Then I the re-skinned the head of the rudder blade (I needed the room to fit into the rudder casting after the re-skinning hence the removal of the .10"/side of gelcoat earlier.) When I re-skinned the rudder head I did each side seperately making sure to lapp the cloth over to the otherside covering the seam ... sanding and fairing in between. (that makes 4 layers on the seams) The rudder blades have held up for +5years now w/ no problem. I course when I had to do this my blades were already split (one quite badly, so first I had to bond the pieces back together first w/ epoxy and clamps), so I had to do a little extra so salvage the blade vs a new 'out of the box' blade. You maybe able to just 'dowel' the blade, seal the seam w/ 1-2 layers ....

I also filled the lock-down pin so as to be more rounded and sloped where it locks into/onto the casting. Makes locking down the rudders easier.

Oh, before I forget .... my boat ... serial #SURE0231B686 .... sail#86 (origonally and still current)

If you have any questions research my old posts or contact me and I'll try to answer them

HarryMurphey
TheMightyHobie18(Mag)/P19(MX)

Last edited by HMurphey; 06/30/09 10:16 AM.
Re: Sail Numbers [Re: HMurphey] #183639
06/30/09 10:21 AM
06/30/09 10:21 AM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay

Hey Todd,

I'm curious .... does your I/N20 make pretty rainbows like your ol' P19 did?????

Sounds like you had a great time in Texas.

Harry

Re: Sail Numbers [Re: HMurphey] #183647
06/30/09 10:52 AM
06/30/09 10:52 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by HMurphey

Hey Todd,

I'm curious .... does your I/N20 make pretty rainbows like your ol' P19 did?????

Sounds like you had a great time in Texas.

Harry

The N-20's so fast the rainbows are way behind you. Can't look back that far so I couldn't tell you.I think the speed of light has something to do with it.
I can't recall my P-19 making rainbows. You sure your not reliving your party years(did you have party years?)ala a flashback? Maybe you need to fair your hulls.So are you a member of the Rainbow Brigade now?
Sounds like the guy I sold mine to has let it go way down hill, breaks my heart to think about it. I've still got the 15' pole and the 475 sq. ft. kite.maybe I'll stick it on my P-16. shocked Sorry I missed Rockhall, the GT was a fun one. We had alot of boat issues, which held us back right much, but had a blast anyway.
Tawd

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Sail Numbers [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #183659
06/30/09 11:12 AM
06/30/09 11:12 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

The N-20's so fast the rainbows are way behind you. Can't look back that far so I couldn't tell you.I think the speed of light has something to do with it.

LOL

I can't recall my P-19 making rainbows. You sure your not reliving your party years(did you have party years?)ala a flashback?

Hehe, awesome

So are you a member of the Rainbow Brigade now?

HAHA!! the best one yet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022