09/20/09 09:18 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Jeff Peterson
One way around this puzzle would be to buy a dead boat of the same model that IS registered, then blend the parts together as a hybrid boat, under the registered boat's papers. You may have to re-etch the hull I.D. -That might be considered a type of forgery, but it is probably not provable if you don't blab about what you did.

Is registration fraud a felony or a misdemeanor? I would bet its a felony?

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: ] #191398
09/20/09 09:41 AM
09/20/09 09:41 AM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Originally Posted by andrewscott

The law used to read (non powered) boats 16' and up need to be titled and over 20' registered. It is now 16 and above need both. H16's are technically 16 and change.

Cut the bow tips so that length becomes slightly under 16. Cover the holes with tape for transport.

Upon arrival, make a new (higher flotation and wave piercing!) foam/epoxy sacrifice bow. Or just glue the old bows back in place.

This makes your transport legal and the cost/work is spent on an improvement instead of red tape.

Last edited by Luiz; 09/20/09 09:50 AM.

Luiz
Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: Luiz] #191402
09/20/09 12:25 PM
09/20/09 12:25 PM
Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
The problem is that no one has titles for any of the boats in the southeast. My first SC20 was basically given to me, my second SC20 I bought for parts and my third SC20 was to replace the first after Hurricane Wilma destroyed it. None had titles.

If there was no law in place when the item was purchased, there is no crime. They are trying to implement a law after the fact and should grandfather in the old boats or give provisions to make it reasonable to get one.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: cyberspeed] #191404
09/20/09 02:17 PM
09/20/09 02:17 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
I hate to say it, but sometimes you just have to lie. I have a "friend" who needed to title a boat after "they" moved to a state that required registration on a beachcat. After much anguish similar to what others in this thread have described, "they" gave in and decided to lie in order to pay the appropriate taxes and get the required registration. "They" had a willing friend fill out a new State Bill of Sale, which "they" took to the DMV - in 15 minutes, "they" cut a check and left with registration numbers. While it bothered "them" to lie, "they" came to the conclusion that it was the only route to compliance with the law.

Good luck.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: cyberspeed] #191406
09/20/09 02:28 PM
09/20/09 02:28 PM
Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Seeker Offline
addict
Seeker  Offline
addict

Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
It’s nothing but another tax in disguise. Any time I have ever had anything stolen the cops just shrugged there shoulders and told me that was what insurance was for. They always have a shell of a reason to justify getting in your pocket.

Not to step on anyone’s toes, but a lot of this type of crap is brought to Florida with the transplants…some of our northern friends are use to paying something for every little thing they do …they move down here, get involved in local politics and when there is need for more government funds they have a whole list from “back home” of ways to add to the coffers.

Did you hear the new law that locals have to have a fishing license now for salt water even if you are fishing from land? Unless you are public assistance, active military (the military deserve every break they get), or over 65. Middle class takes another hit. It never stops. It's just not the same Florida any more.

Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: Luiz] #191408
09/20/09 02:44 PM
09/20/09 02:44 PM
uk
TEAMVMG Offline
veteran
TEAMVMG  Offline
veteran

uk
Have you seen where the forestay bridle fits on a Hobie 16 Luiz?

Paul

teamvmg.weebly.com
Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: Seeker] #191417
09/20/09 06:15 PM
09/20/09 06:15 PM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
Originally Posted by Seeker
It’s nothing but another tax in disguise. Any time I have ever had anything stolen the cops just shrugged there shoulders and told me that was what insurance was for. They always have a shell of a reason to justify getting in your pocket.

Not to step on anyone’s toes, but a lot of this type of crap is brought to Florida with the transplants…some of our northern friends are use to paying something for every little thing they do …they move down here, get involved in local politics and when there is need for more government funds they have a whole list from “back home” of ways to add to the coffers.

Did you hear the new law that locals have to have a fishing license now for salt water even if you are fishing from land? Unless you are public assistance, active military (the military deserve every break they get), or over 65. Middle class takes another hit. It never stops. It's just not the same Florida any more.

Their excuse for the fishing from land license is the federal gov. is going to charge a fee to fish that would be around 25.00 bucks in states that don't have licensing in place. I looked but I couldn't tell if I can fish from my own dock without being licensed. The state makes it sound like they are doing us a favor by charging us the 9. Thing is, who would enforce the federal law? The Coast Guard, Border Patrol, or HomeLand Security? No one. Remember when they tried to force us to buy a federal registration sticker. The cost of the sticker was based on the length of your boat. That didn't last long once people started complaining. When you consider what the taxes are on a house on the water here in Florida, it's insulting to think I need a 9 dollar license to fish off my dock. It's an Obamanation!

Last edited by catman; 09/20/09 06:17 PM.

Have Fun
Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: catman] #191433
09/21/09 08:31 AM
09/21/09 08:31 AM
Palm Beach Gardens. FL
palmwolfe Offline
palmwolfe  Offline

Palm Beach Gardens. FL
Well if any one asks, my 18 is now a 16, I can't see the Marine Patrol out there with tape measures.

Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: catman] #191436
09/21/09 09:06 AM
09/21/09 09:06 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by catman
Thing is, who would enforce the federal law? The Coast Guard, Border Patrol, or HomeLand Security?

ME!!!! Using kittens as bait is just wrong!!!

Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: cyberspeed] #191437
09/21/09 09:09 AM
09/21/09 09:09 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by cyberspeed
If there was no law in place when the item was purchased, there is no crime. They are trying to implement a law after the fact and should grandfather in the old boats or give provisions to make it reasonable to get one.

Good luck with that agrument. How do you prove when you bought it? By showing them your title???? (just kidding, i am sure most have some form of "bill of sale")
I doubt the judge will agree with your arguement of how this law should be followed.

Trust me, i am in the same boat.. i know the past 3 owners of my mystere... but i doubt they ever had a title... the first owner that i know of... lives in the philipines...

Last edited by andrewscott; 09/21/09 10:41 AM.
Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: TEAMVMG] #191439
09/21/09 09:38 AM
09/21/09 09:38 AM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Originally Posted by TEAMVMG
Have you seen where the forestay bridle fits on a Hobie 16 Luiz?

Ooooops! Forgot about that.

Luiz
Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: palmwolfe] #191440
09/21/09 09:41 AM
09/21/09 09:41 AM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Originally Posted by palmwolfe
Well if any one asks, my 18 is now a 16, I can't see the Marine Patrol out there with tape measures.

Make that "almost 16" and bring your own tape measure smile

Luiz
Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: palmwolfe] #191453
09/21/09 10:43 AM
09/21/09 10:43 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by palmwolfe

A 16 still needs title/reg. You need to somehow convince them its a Hobie 15 and 9/10ths.

Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: ] #191477
09/21/09 02:29 PM
09/21/09 02:29 PM
Southern Ontario
fredsmith Offline
fredsmith  Offline

Southern Ontario
Is there any provision for people who build their own boats

Fred

Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: fredsmith] #191482
09/21/09 02:45 PM
09/21/09 02:45 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by fredsmith
Is there any provision for people who build their own boats
Fred

Yes, if you live in Canada, and sail in Canada... you are not required to get a title in Florida smile

just kidding... as far as i know.. these laws do not have any remedy... if you are from out of state.. you must have documents to prove you are legal in that state..

"I will be vacationing in Florida this summer. Do I need to register my vessel there?

Florida recognizes valid registration certificates and numbers issued to visiting boaters for a period of 90 days. An owner who intends to use his vessel in Florida longer than 90 days must register it with a county tax collector. However, he may retain the out-of-state registration number if he plans to return to his home state within a reasonable period of time"

"All vessels, with the exception of non-motor-powered vessels less than 16 feet in length, non-motor-powered canoes, kayaks, racing shells, or rowing sculls, regardless of length, must be registered through your local Tax Collector's Office."

http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Rules_Boat.htm#registration

Please note: i am not an attorney, nor law enforcement in anyway... but i did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Last edited by andrewscott; 09/21/09 02:46 PM.
Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: John Williams] #191509
09/21/09 05:06 PM
09/21/09 05:06 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Originally Posted by John Williams
I hate to say it, but sometimes you just have to lie. I have a "friend" who needed to title a boat after "they" moved to a state that required registration on a beachcat. After much anguish similar to what others in this thread have described, "they" gave in and decided to lie in order to pay the appropriate taxes and get the required registration. "They" had a willing friend fill out a new State Bill of Sale, which "they" took to the DMV - in 15 minutes, "they" cut a check and left with registration numbers. While it bothered "them" to lie, "they" came to the conclusion that it was the only route to compliance with the law.

Good luck.

Is the willing co-conspirator...... err I'm sorry the friend of your friend (wink-wink) from out of state?

Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: ] #191532
09/21/09 09:13 PM
09/21/09 09:13 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Originally Posted by andrewscott

"All vessels, with the exception of non-motor-powered vessels less than 16 feet in length, non-motor-powered canoes, kayaks, racing shells, or rowing sculls, regardless of length, must be registered through your local Tax Collector's Office."

The F16 class should grow fast in Florida.

Luiz
Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: cyberspeed] #191790
09/23/09 04:41 PM
09/23/09 04:41 PM

A
AV8RSailor
Unregistered
AV8RSailor
Unregistered
A

I have spent the summer rebuilding a H16 that I "aquired" for nothing from a tow yard that was happy to be rid of it. FHP found it abandoned on the side of the interstate several years ago and had the tow company remove it. (Hence the name Road Kill!) Anyway, no title, no previous registration, no known prior owners. To complicate matters my starboard hull was shot so I bought a pair (before the law took effect) on Craigs List. My boat therefore has two HIN's! Now I'm trying to be a good citizen and get it titled and registered.

I've already decided to forget the whole two HIN issue. That would really short circuit some poor clerk at DMV! A little sanding and a coat of paint, which I'm doing anyway, and I only have one HIN to worry about. A representative from the tax collectors office has assured me that they would accept a "letter of origin" from the tow company stating how they came to have it and would issue me a title since the boat has never had one. I'll let you guys know how it goes...

Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: ] #191796
09/23/09 05:47 PM
09/23/09 05:47 PM
Q
Quarath Offline
journeyman
Quarath  Offline
journeyman
Q

Thank God I live in Utah. No title requires for boats 1985 or older and no trailer registration required for small boat trailers. Since mine came with neither then it made life easier.

Re: Request for title denied! Now what? [Re: Luiz] #191812
09/23/09 08:12 PM
09/23/09 08:12 PM
UK
Cheshirecatman Offline
enthusiast
Cheshirecatman  Offline
enthusiast

UK
Originally Posted by Luiz

The F16 class should grow fast in Florida.

Unless some guy plays smart and realises they are over 16ft!

Cheshirecatman

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 444 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022