08/31/09 11:07 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

IMHO it's not Guinness World of Records responsibility. if there is a record.. they make money promoting / printing it... they are not in the business of promoting responsibility or good decisions.

this is where parenting and responsibility take over.

i don't agree nothing can be done until and illegal act is done... look what was done.. she was put into the courts control.. and "conspiracy" is the charge of talking and planning to do something illegal.. not the act of doing it.

Last edited by andrewscott; 08/31/09 11:08 AM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Too young to sail? [Re: Luiz] #189681
H
Hullflyer1 Offline
enthusiast
Hullflyer1  Offline
enthusiast
H

I would not feel comfortable leaving my 13 year old at mall alone for an evening let alone on the open ocean.

Re: Too young to sail? [Re: Clayton] #189686
08/31/09 11:26 AM
08/31/09 11:26 AM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Originally Posted by Clayton
Of course there is the issue of clearing into other countries. Places that she would stop might have an issue with such a young person being un-attended. Then what about the unscrupulus out there (pirates notwithstanding)?

I am not so sure about that. If she has a proper license (a non-professional captain license) issued by the authority of her country of origin, she can probably enter and leave any port.

In Brazil, for instance, one doesn't need an official license to sail small recreational boats without an engine up to certain limits.
At sixteen one is allowed to apply for the first official license, good for recreational boats in an enclosed body of water.
Two years after receiving the first license (meaning more than 18), one can apply for a recreational coastal permit.
Another two years after receiving the second license (meaning at least 20, but usually 21) one can apply for a recreational worldwide permit, boats up to 20 tons.

This means that it is impossible for a Brazilian to obtain the license required to sail around the world before he is 20 years old. However, a foreigner with an equivalent worldwide permit should be allowed to stop and leave, regardless of age. The foreign boat is foreign territory and the laws and regulations regarding its captain's license are those of the foreign country.

Luiz
Re: Too young to sail? [Re: ] #189689
08/31/09 11:44 AM
08/31/09 11:44 AM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Originally Posted by andrewscott
IMHO it's not Guinness World of Records responsibility. if there is a record.. they make money promoting / printing it... they are not in the business of promoting responsibility or good decisions.

this is where parenting and responsibility take over.

i don't agree nothing can be done until and illegal act is done... look what was done.. she was put into the courts control.. and "conspiracy" is the charge of talking and planning to do something illegal.. not the act of doing it.

Social Responsability is important for any busines. It is even more important for ISAF or WRSSC, that are not for profit organizations.

Luiz
Re: Too young to sail? [Re: Luiz] #189692
08/31/09 11:49 AM
08/31/09 11:49 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Luiz

Social Responsability is important for any busines. It is even more important for ISAF or WRSSC, that are not for profit organizations.

IMHO
I wish more companies were "more ethical" but it is not business's role to impose mores.. it is societies. If society doesn't agree.. they vote with thier wallet.

I agree it is different for ISAF or WRSSC. these are not "businesses" these are regulators responsible for lives and safety of the public

an

Last edited by andrewscott; 08/31/09 11:54 AM.
Re: Too young to sail? [Re: ] #190652
09/09/09 04:20 PM
09/09/09 04:20 PM
Clearwater, FL
S
stevefisherkeller Offline
journeyman
stevefisherkeller  Offline
journeyman
S

Clearwater, FL
Different 15 year old girl atempting to sail the world, Jessica Watson, hit a 63,000 ton cargo ship with her S+S 34 foot sailboat. Delaying the start of her around the world adventure. Guess she didn't see the little boat. Maybe she was texting

Steve Fisherkeller
P19MX
Re: Too young to sail? [Re: stevefisherkeller] #190698
09/10/09 07:53 AM
09/10/09 07:53 AM
Kingston SE South Australia
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

Kingston SE South Australia
Middle of the night, she was in her bunk and it came from behind, she's pretty lucky and still keen to go on.

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Re: Too young to sail? [Re: ] #190702
09/10/09 08:38 AM
09/10/09 08:38 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Originally Posted by andrewscott

I agree it is different for ISAF or WRSSC. these are not "businesses" these are regulators responsible for lives and safety of the public

ISAF have products and charge for services. They are not for profit but operate much like businesses except that they dont have to fear loosing customers or going out of business.

Re: Too young to sail? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #190880
09/13/09 07:42 AM
09/13/09 07:42 AM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
It's a very good debate. I've enjoyed reading all of it. Personal responsibility vs. The Nanny State. Rolf hit the nail on the head early on.... I thought this country (The U.S.) was founded and relied on individual responsibilities. "The right to swing my fist ends at your nose" type of reasoning.

Where does the right for The Government to step in and make a predetermination of danger eminate from?

Great debate. Thanks. Wish we could converse like this always......

Greg

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. - George Will
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" -Ronald Reagan
Re: Too young to sail? [Re: bullswan] #190886
09/13/09 10:07 AM
09/13/09 10:07 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I cut and pasted this out of my latest UK-Halsey Newsletter. Abby is the 15-year-old (almost 16) younger sister of Zac Sunderland, who just completed his circumnavigation. She is preparing to do it solo, but also nonstop.

From Abby Sunderland
I have wanted to sail around the world alone since I was 13-years-old. At 13 I had been single-handing boats on a regular basis, but my parents weren’t ready to let me go. As disappointing as it was to be
told that I was too young, I did understand their reasoning, and so, I kept on working towards my goal.
When I was 14, Zac launched his campaign to sail around the world alone. It was a bit of a shock at first to hear that he was now doing it, but it was great being able to help out with his campaign. Watching Zac’s trip, we have all learned loads, and now after almost three years of dreaming and planning I’m finally pulling together my own campaign.
What am I going to do? Sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world alone. The plans, if every thing goes according to plan, (how often does that happen!) are to leave this November from Marina del Rey and to return in April, six months later.
My route will take me down around all the major capes. Yes, it’s a scary thought, alone in some of the roughest places there are, but I have been doing this sort of thing my whole life. Right now I’m in training. I’m also trying to keep up with my classes that have started. Sponsorships have been coming in and we are searching for just the right boat to make my dream a reality.

Re: Too young to sail? [Re: Mary] #190896
09/13/09 11:15 AM
09/13/09 11:15 AM
UK
Cheshirecatman Offline OP
enthusiast
Cheshirecatman  Offline OP
enthusiast

UK
And the UK authorities have not taken her into care yet?

I suppose doing it non-stop she will not face the potential bureaucratic issues surrounding Laura Dekker's planned multi-stop trip.

Cheshirecatman

Re: Too young to sail? [Re: Cheshirecatman] #190897
09/13/09 01:37 PM
09/13/09 01:37 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If you are talking about the Sunderlands, they live in California.

Re: Too young to sail? [Re: Mary] #190898
09/13/09 02:54 PM
09/13/09 02:54 PM
UK
Cheshirecatman Offline OP
enthusiast
Cheshirecatman  Offline OP
enthusiast

UK
Whoops! Wires crossed with Mike Perham.

Re: Too young to sail? [Re: Kris Hathaway] #190910
09/14/09 02:22 AM
09/14/09 02:22 AM
Bay of Islands, NZ
W
warbird Offline
old hand
warbird  Offline
old hand
W

Bay of Islands, NZ
We are too frightened of the attrition rate that real living brings. Everyone needs to be saved all of the time...nonsense.
Let her go. She will go on to be one of mankind's very special or very dead.
Stop and think...how does it affect you if this young person dies at sea?...not at all....it is just people being busybodies in the lives of people who want to get on with real living.
Don't worry for me if I find the sailors grave. Do not stop others taking risks because I drown at sea, celebrate my death.
Let the living dead hide in their homes and with all of their insurance. Why do they want to stop others taking risks?!
Others of us understand that if we do not risk our lives, we do not deserve life.
There are six billion of us for God's sake, the more gone, the better.

Re: Too young to sail? [Re: warbird] #190911
09/14/09 02:51 AM
09/14/09 02:51 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good post. And I agree.

Nice to hear from you again, Warbird.

Re: Too young to sail? [Re: warbird] #190959
09/14/09 05:08 PM
09/14/09 05:08 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Originally Posted by warbird

Let her go. She will go on to be one of mankind's very special or very dead.

There are six billion of us for God's sake, the more gone, the better.

Most agree with that once or even a few times. It is the repetition of the pattern that brings us concerns.

While safety rules might not be essential for one or a few individual out of billions, for society as a whole - and for its evolution - compliance with wise rules is essential.

What is right in particular is not necessarily right as a rule.

Luiz
Re: Too young to sail? [Re: Luiz] #191511
09/21/09 05:19 PM
09/21/09 05:19 PM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
Interesting debate on radio today regarding the Muslim girl in Florida asking not to be sent back to her family in Ohio because she feared for her life. Made me think about this case of the girl sailing and whether the "Government" follows the law or the families wishes. The similarities of the two cases are eerie.

I wonder how many of those people who say that the Government should stop the girl from sailing would also say the girl should be sent back to her family and vice versa....

My feeling is to NOT send the Muslim girl back home but I think the sailing girl should be allowed to go if she (and her family) wishes to risk her own life.

Last edited by bullswan; 09/21/09 05:22 PM.

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. - George Will
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" -Ronald Reagan
Re: Too young to sail? [Re: bullswan] #191530
09/21/09 09:02 PM
09/21/09 09:02 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Originally Posted by bullswan

My feeling is to NOT send the Muslim girl back home but I think the sailing girl should be allowed to go if she (and her family) wishes to risk her own life.

Your logic is the same in both cases: you want each government to respect the individual's decision, you favor freedom.

How much a government should be allowed to interfere with each one's life is difficult to determine. The failed comunist experience in the Soviet Union drew the line too close to the individual. The US used to go to the other extreme, but changed.

I believe that evolution solves this type of problem for people regardless their beliefs and preferences.
If you want to spend time on this problem, the real challenges are how to accelerate convergence at the equilibrium and how to choose between equilibria when more than one is available.

All the best,
Luiz

Luiz
Re: Too young to sail? [Re: Luiz] #191602
09/22/09 08:17 AM
09/22/09 08:17 AM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
Very true Luiz. Does this logic ultimately end at the suicide question? Does the individual control their own life? Does this girl (or by extension her parents) control her own destiny? Is it the right of the Government to determine if the risk of harm coming to the girl is sufficient to stop her sailing quest?

It seems to me you can't ASSUME she will be in harms way by sailing singlehanded around the world. Especially if she is within a flotilla the whole way.

Very interesting.
Greg

Re: Too young to sail? [Re: bullswan] #191606
09/22/09 08:21 AM
09/22/09 08:21 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by bullswan
I wonder how many of those people who say that the Government should stop the girl from sailing would also say the girl should be sent back to her family and vice versa....

my feeling this is getting away from the sailing topic and now asking what your political opinions are..and mine are "not posted here"

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 631 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022