Harrington Harbour, Canada
L
Labrador Coaster Offline OP
stranger
Labrador Coaster  Offline OP
stranger
L

I just recently became the proud owner of a NACRA Inter F18.
Bit off a little more than I could chew yesterday in 20 knot winds and tipped her over.

Winds are generally high here and I expect to be sailing solo most of the time.

I couldn't get her back upright yesterday, using the line over the top hull. I'm 200 + full boots, wet survival suit

I need to get myself a better rig, does anyone know where i can get info on.

Design types of righting bags,their vol. etc
how does the righting pole work, is it used with the bag to increase leverage?.

Also was thinking of fabricating a small fiberglass "football" type bob for the mast tip, would the extra floatation be a positive considering the extra weight.

I read some good stuff on this wonderful forum, and plan on reading thru all the different topics over the winter

I'm a newbie so please excuse some of the silly questions,

thanks, Wilson

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Righting bags, righting pole [Re: Labrador Coaster] #191837
09/24/09 09:04 AM
09/24/09 09:04 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
The owner of this site sells a righting system

http://www.catsailor.com/power_righter.html

Righting bags are also an option. I've seen large garbage bags filled with water used also.

As fellow 200 pounder your biggest concern won't be righting the boat but getting back on before it decides it has waited long enough and decides it's time to leave.

My biggest advice to you is practice righting the boat and getting back on. You'll need to find what works for you.

There are a few primary ways to get on the boat

The tough guy way: The big dolphin kick up at the forward crossbar and hull. You really need to hit this the first time. If you fail on the second attempt it might be time for plan B.

The bail out: Swim under the boat and get to the outside of a hull, grab the hiking ring and haul yourself onto the boat.

The one you don't tell your friends about (it's a bit girly): move to the back of the boat and haul yourself up between the hull and back crossbar. The boat is a lot lower to the water here especially an I18.

All of them require you to move your a$$, once the boat is righted you don't have time to waste.

Seriously though, practice righting your boat in soft and controlled conditions. There is nothing that can ruin your day faster than finding out you can't right your boat and you are alone.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Righting bags, righting pole [Re: David Ingram] #191873
09/24/09 02:04 PM
09/24/09 02:04 PM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
Is the crew trap line too high to grab while at the front beam? I'm a little height challenged but my rig is a little smaller than the F-18. It is the easiest and quickest way for me to get back on board next to being quick enough to catch the tramp as it comes over. It also saves on the hull because you don't drag the trap hook over the gel coat.

Kris Hathaway
Re: Righting bags, righting pole [Re: Kris Hathaway] #191876
09/24/09 02:14 PM
09/24/09 02:14 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
A good tip, but the I-18 has the skipper crew trap lines on either side of the shroud. The crew trap line would have to be moved to the front cross beam (better place for it IMO).

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Righting bags, righting pole [Re: David Ingram] #191912
09/24/09 09:06 PM
09/24/09 09:06 PM
L
stranger
stranger
L

Thanks David,Kris,

The pole and installation looks like a great system.

Having a short strap hanging from each (forward trap line) could be used to support the pole.
I'm a fairly able 200 pounder and easily used the dolphin strap\mast to get aboard while she was coming upright, (drowned Rat syndrome), unfortunately she kept right on going 180 even though I had let go the mainsheet, (but not the jib..)

I was skidding sideways in a "freshing breeze". the mast\sail was facing in the wind. I tryed using a paddle to bring the bow up into the wind but she wouldn't look at it.

But you're right, when she dumped me I had no time to waste as she was already moving away from me, just managed to grab a rudder...

thanks for the info.

Re: Righting bags, righting pole [Re: Labrador Coaster] #192002
09/25/09 01:31 PM
09/25/09 01:31 PM
Nepean (Ottawa) Ontario Canada
Frozen Offline
enthusiast
Frozen  Offline
enthusiast

Hi Labrador,

I used to single hand a Tiger in the Forebay by Churchill Falls so I am a bit familiar with your situation.

Personally I used to avoid strong winds but sometimes stuff happens.

In addition to the other suggestions, something I toyed with trying, but I think it may not be doable with my Tiger is a side stay extender. There's one on my friend's H-18 and he swears by it. By releasing the extender it gives you around 18" longer shroud which allows the boat to tilt towards you giving you some more leverage. Scroll down on this link
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2389

Some people put foam noodles (you get at a hardware store) on the stays around the top, to give the mast flotation. Some people get plastic bottles for the top and some buy Hobie "Bobs" for the mast. The Bob is probably the best, ugliest and most expensive and is what we have on the club cats here in Ottawa.

The proper method for righting the cat is at this Hobie link...
http://www.hobiecat.com/experience/learn.html

There used to be someone ("hobiegary: I think) that sold a device that looked like a paddle that you stuck in the daggerboard well and it allowed you to step out a distance to give you more leverage to help right it. People seem to like it but he stopped making it, not sure why, possibly legal issues.

First thing you do is release all the sail cleats on the back and let the sail free so it can release the water as it is coming up.

Honestly when the wind blows hard enough, I back off on the accelerator, because I know that righting is a major PITA. So I haven't capsized, not even to practice. Yeah I know it's wise to do it, buuuut,,,, well maybe I'll go out next season with the guys.

I have adjusted my mainsheet and traveler so that I can release them easily in a gust. The cleat has an adjuster for the angle it sits at. However I have never seen a NACRA F-18 except at a distance and then behind me. (just kidding)

Off topic a bit, but I highly recommend Rick White's videos. Someone may be able to comment on whether he has one on righting a cat.

Last edited by Frozen; 09/25/09 01:35 PM.

Cheers
Alan F

Tiger
Re: Righting bags, righting pole [Re: Labrador Coaster] #192138
09/27/09 11:04 PM
09/27/09 11:04 PM
Los Angeles
spfechner Offline
spfechner  Offline

Los Angeles
Wilson,
I sail my Nacra F18 solo most of the time. At 230+ pounds, I have a significant ballast advantage when righting over your trim 200+ pounds. I find I am able to right the boat in medium wind, so long as I take the time to get the mast to the same 45 degree angle to the wind as indicated in the Hobie literature. If I try and take a shortcut by trying to right the boat before I swim it to the proper angle, I can not right it because the tip of the mast stays in the water. Positioning the boat properly lets the wind get under the main sail and help lift up the mast out of the water, similar to a waterstart by a windsurfer.

I carry a waterbag connected to a block and pulley with me too. Carrying this gives me insurance that I can right the boat. The blocks allow me to easily scoop water and raise the water bag out of the water. Its much easier than trying to lift and hold onto a trash bag while doing everything else.

I previously purchased and installed a Power Righting System and was not impressed with it. While you were not using it, the pole was a lump you felt under the tramp at the rear. When I went to use it, the rivets attaching it to the front beam quickly popped out. A waterbag with pulleys is a much better option.

A note of caution regarding waterbags. The last time I flipped, I ended up using the waterbag to right the boat because I was drifting close to the beach. I uncleated the main, but did not uncleat the jib since it was not in the water. When I went to reboard the boat after righting it with a waterbag, I could not get aboard by the front beam because the boat was sailing so fast downwind. I don’t usually have trouble getting aboard here after righting, but it seems that with the power of the cleated jib, the waterbag acted similar to a kite’s tail to give the boat downwind stability. The water pressure made it impossible for me to get aboard. I ended up going under the tramp to the back of the boat, where I grabbed the tiller and steered upwind to stop. Next time I right using a waterbag, I will either furl or uncleat the jib, plus be ready to quickly get to the tiller to make sure the boat does not take off downwind.

I have never needed a mast float because my boat have never turtled. Remember that the weight of this float will work against you in righting the boat.

Steve

Re: Righting bags, righting pole [Re: spfechner] #192490
10/01/09 08:05 PM
10/01/09 08:05 PM
L
stranger
stranger
L

I get your point about getting the wind under the sail. I tryed to paddle the bow around in the wind but couldn't and looking back on it the wind pressure on the sail was the reason she wouldn't come up.

Think I'm gonna try to install a pole and use a bag on the end with a pulley system complete with cam cleat.

The idea would be to stand on the hull pull up the bag, lock it then use my weight to bring her upright, probably a trip rope to the bottom of the bag would help bring it all aboard from the stern when she starts to move off.

Temperatures are beginning to dip below freezing in the mornings here. So it will be another sail or two (in light winds...) then i will work on all this during the winter.Will let you know how it goes....

thanks so much for responding,

Wilson

Re: Righting bags, righting pole [Re: Labrador Coaster] #193615
10/15/09 01:59 PM
10/15/09 01:59 PM

A
adelatorre
Unregistered
adelatorre
Unregistered
A

I bought one of the power righting poles and it is the best investment I've made. However the mounting gear which comes with it is junk. I had to fabricate a stronger bracket to mount to the front crossbeam. I'm headed out of town for week but will try to get pictures if you want. If you are near Fort Lauderdale FL you're welcome to come by and have a look.

Re: Righting bags, righting pole [Re: ] #194371
10/23/09 06:37 PM
10/23/09 06:37 PM
WA, ID, MT
davefarmer Offline
old hand
davefarmer  Offline
old hand

WA, ID, MT
I have a righting pole on my F16 Stealth(windsurf carbon mast and rubber windsurfing universal joint), and I can get it righted fairly easily solo. I'm 160 lbs and it's a light boat(maybe 240 lbs with a carbon mast). I secure the aft end of the pole to the rear beam with a loop of shock cord, which deploys the pole easily, and has some give when crossing the tramp and kneeling on the pole under the tramp. Still working on quick connections for the lines supporting the pole when deployed, which is particularly important once the boat is righted.

Dave

Re: Righting bags, righting pole [Re: davefarmer] #194516
10/26/09 11:02 AM
10/26/09 11:02 AM
Frozen Offline
enthusiast
Frozen  Offline
enthusiast

I forgot to mention that I read somewhere, that if you stand on the stern of the lower hull, the boat will supposedly turn into the wind.

Cheers
Alan F

Tiger
Re: Righting bags, righting pole [Re: Frozen] #194527
10/26/09 11:56 AM
10/26/09 11:56 AM
C
cooper engineer Offline
cooper engineer  Offline
C

Originally Posted by Frozen
I forgot to mention that I read somewhere, that if you stand on the stern of the lower hull, the boat will supposedly turn into the wind.

It's true ?

Re: Righting bags, righting pole [Re: cooper engineer] #194552
10/26/09 02:58 PM
10/26/09 02:58 PM
Kiel, Germany
Baltic Offline
enthusiast
Baltic  Offline
enthusiast

Kiel, Germany
The opposite is true. You have to move on the lower hull as much fore as possible and the bows will turn windward. When you notice that there is no more movement towards the wind, the boat is in the best position to right it.

F18: C2 / A-Cat: Minelli
Re: Righting bags, righting pole [Re: Baltic] #194553
10/26/09 03:01 PM
10/26/09 03:01 PM
Frozen Offline
enthusiast
Frozen  Offline
enthusiast

Thanks Baltic,
At least I had the Hull right! LOL

Cheers
Alan F

Tiger

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 655 guests, and 139 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022