05/08/03 08:41 AM
05/08/03 08:41 AM
Norfolk, VA
Dan Berger Offline OP
enthusiast
Dan Berger  Offline OP
enthusiast

Norfolk, VA
I just bought out a rental place and ended up with 3 Waves. The Div 9 Championships are coming up May 17th, so I got a few friends together and we are making our own little (and very obnoxious) Wave class for the race. Problem is that we know nothing about tuning (and we need parts).

Is there a tuning guide anywhere? How much mast rake should we use? What's the fastest way down wind on these things--sailing dead down wind or cutting across?? Any traveler action?

Also, I need a complete steering system for one of the boats. I'm planning on 'rigging' it with 18 parts if I can't get the proper parts. Any help would be appreciated.

If there is anyone out there with a Wave and can make the race, come on down!!

Dan Berger
Norfolk, VA
A Cat USA139
Supercat 15
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Need some Wave Tuning tips [Re: Dan Berger] #19411
05/08/03 03:51 PM
05/08/03 03:51 PM
Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
Mike Fahle Offline
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline
addict

Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
Hi Dan, You should be able to get parts from any Hobie source - dealers, website, etc. You should rake the rig back until the sail is close to touching the tiller connector bar. Some people even flip that under the tillers to allow more rake. You should sail directly downwind - trying to "heat it up" to move the wind forward off the wind does not work in these boats. Go directly to the mark and do the best sail trimming you can. You cannot use the traveller since there isn't one.

Hope this helps,

Mike

P.S. Let me know if you are interested in some really nice, little used sails - dacron or mylar.

And be Sure to Check the Wave Schedules [Re: Dan Berger] #19412
05/09/03 07:15 AM
05/09/03 07:15 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
Welcome to the world of Waves. They are a great boat and super simple, thus making the sailor the only variable on the boat.
The class has lots of action going on. If you drop me an email, I can add your name to our Wave Email List to keep you informed of things.
Also, We have an Annual Nationals in Key Largo and an Annual North Americans at various other places -- this year it will be in Put-in-Bay, Ohio.
And we have a National Series Championship and Standings that is based on a number of regattas.
You can check it all out on our website at http://www.waveclass.com
Hope we see all those boats showing up for the events. By the way, one of the Series Events is at Sandy Hook, NJ in July. I will be there with a load of boats myself.
See ya,
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 511 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022