11/20/09 04:59 PM
11/20/09 04:59 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
I'd assume there are issues with IHCA class rules, bylaws and such, but this (IWCA) is mostly a south east regional group. Maybe it can be handled on a division level?

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Waves without Rick [Re: mmiller] #197180
11/20/09 05:11 PM
11/20/09 05:11 PM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

I guess you can look at the Wave and the N20 in the same way and argue that the sacrifice that may or not be made may or may not benefit the community as a whole, but I think that would be looking at it (Wave) too hard. The N20 is a fine tuned racing machine, the Wave is not. Kinda like comparing Super Modified Stock Cars and those busses that pull the boats and do the figure 8 track. Sure, they are all still racing, but come on.

Re: Waves without Rick [Re: hobie1616] #197183
11/20/09 05:20 PM
11/20/09 05:20 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
[quote]
Interesting. Hobie will be in a bind, long term, if they can't find a way to bring in young blood with money. [/quote

HOBIE!!?

Dude... we are all in this boat together..... it's on fire... the shore is 1000 meters away and the ONLY solution is to paddle in the SAME DIRECTION together.

Sailing catamarans won't go away.... Builders won't go away... The opportunity to race your catamaran is going away bit by bit as we age and attendance drops off.

The goal needs to be... how do you introduce non sailors and sailors to racing and what is the level of racing that gets them into the sport.

The BUILDERS should not be tagged here..

Racing is a social thing and we are in the boat along with builders who also race boats and we need to solve the problem and paddle faster and more efficiently.

I have zero patience for dithering or policies that get in the way of everyone in the boat rowing in the same direction or those that say... "ah... I want my own boat because you other guys are ...... fill in the blank..."

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Waves without Rick [Re: Mark Schneider] #197184
11/20/09 05:27 PM
11/20/09 05:27 PM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

STOP THE ****ing PRESSES!!! I agree with what Mark JUST SAID! I know, I don't believe it either.

Re: Waves without Rick [Re: ] #197186
11/20/09 05:46 PM
11/20/09 05:46 PM
Albenarle NC
J
jackbr549 Offline
journeyman
jackbr549  Offline
journeyman
J

Albenarle NC
The problem is when anyone is left out. It can be for a sail or a brand of boat or what ever. We do not have the numbers to leave any one out.This is the reason division 9 is out of the hobie mix.

Re: Waves without Rick [Re: ] #197187
11/20/09 06:05 PM
11/20/09 06:05 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
STOP THE [censored] PRESSES!!! I agree with what Mark JUST SAID! I know, I don't believe it either.

Ah... I will have to save this post.... I might come in handy in the future laugh

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 11/20/09 06:06 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Waves without Rick [Re: Mark Schneider] #197189
11/20/09 06:11 PM
11/20/09 06:11 PM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
Well said Mark

It's all about the fun for me. Thats why we still do a monthly fun sail where everyone is welcome.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=830551&id=1017502056

Last edited by hobie18rich; 11/20/09 07:11 PM.

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

http://www.capricornsailing.com/
Re: Waves without Rick [Re: Mark Schneider] #197191
11/20/09 06:28 PM
11/20/09 06:28 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Dude... we are all in this boat together..... it's on fire... the shore is 1000 meters away and the ONLY solution is to paddle in the SAME DIRECTION together.

Sailing catamarans won't go away.... Builders won't go away... The opportunity to race your catamaran is going away bit by bit as we age and attendance drops off.

The goal needs to be... how do you introduce non sailors and sailors to racing and what is the level of racing that gets them into the sport.

Racing is a social thing and we are in the boat along with builders who also race boats and we need to solve the problem and paddle faster and more efficiently.

If the youngest competitor at a regatta is 43 then the current paddling effort is not working.

If the young blood, with money, is not found and developed then the builders will go away. If the builders want to sell boats then the have to be involved. Otherwise, they will be tagged as in game over.

An example of a growing class is the Open Bic. They offer significant discounts to junior sailing programs. It can be almost a third off of retail depending on quantity purchased. That's pretty good builder support.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Waves without Rick [Re: hobie1616] #197194
11/20/09 06:34 PM
11/20/09 06:34 PM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

Couple things: This has little to do with our manufacturer and you have to believe me when I say that they are not impeding the HCA and any way. They have their interest and I think we (HCA-NA) is respectful of that. Discount from the manufacturer are not necessary when there is so much on the secondary you couldn't possible buy it all up.

Hobie 1616: Did you know that John Hanson's son lives 3 blocks from me on Clear Lake?

Re: Waves without Rick [Re: hobie1616] #197204
11/20/09 07:24 PM
11/20/09 07:24 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
f the youngest competitor at a regatta is 43 then the current paddling effort is not working.

If the young blood, with money, is not found and developed

Now you get the problem..

Paddling faster? ... here's an idea

do they have any Wave Rental places on Maui or any of the resort beaches?

First race anyone ever does is chase a boat just like yours off the beach out to the marker etc.

How about getting a group to charter those waves for three hours and chase each other... soon it will be organized racing...

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Waves without Rick [Re: mmiller] #197206
11/20/09 07:36 PM
11/20/09 07:36 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by mmiller
The thing we wouldn't allow is modification of a factory supplied charter boat.

I believe that is certainly in order. You own the boats...you say what can or can't be done with them. Makes perfect sense. But that aside, are you saying if I had brought my own boat and ICWA sail, I would have been welcome at HavaMega?

That apparently wasn't made clear Matt.

One the other hand, we do believe in the basic premise that made the Hobie Class Association what it was, and is. One Design, Class or Brand only style regattas worked very well and still have their place.

I agree with that too. However, the KEY WORD here is WAS.

As expressed in the preceeding love fest, times they are a changin'.

I believe the ideal solution for the Wave "problem" is for HCA sanctioned events to have an IWCA class within the overall fleet and for IWCA sanctioned events to have an HCA class within their fleet. It would be the same as the Seniors (which is actually a redundant class smirk ), Juniors, Ladies, Gerbils, whatever. All would race together and awards would be made accordingly. I think we can afford a few more trophies.

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Waves without Rick [Re: Mark Schneider] #197207
11/20/09 07:44 PM
11/20/09 07:44 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

do they have any Wave Rental places on Maui or any of the resort beaches?

First race anyone ever does is chase a boat just like yours off the beach out to the marker etc.

How about getting a group to charter those waves for three hours and chase each other... soon it will be organized racing...

I believe there's a few Waves and one beater Getaway in West Maui. The only problem is the rental guys want $150 an hour. Some won't let a boat go out without one of their people on board.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Waves without Rick [Re: hobie1616] #197209
11/20/09 07:58 PM
11/20/09 07:58 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
So... what's it cost to store a boat on the islands?

Make the guy a deal... you will charter the lot on an afternoon when they almost certainly don't rent boats for 25% of retail for 6 weeks.... get the newbies and go chasing.

As I said...it's a paddle and the boat is getting warm. If you pull it off with 6 people under 30... I will send you a case of your favorite!

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Waves without Rick [Re: Mark Schneider] #197212
11/20/09 08:19 PM
11/20/09 08:19 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So... what's it cost to store a boat on the islands?

It depends and I don't mean the diaper.

Big enough garage - Free
Big enough yard that isn't overseen by a Nazi homeowners association - Free
Keep on the beach - Risk having it stripped by locals who think anything without the owner around is ripe for "salvage."
Keep on the beach II - Either dragged off or fire bombed by irate home/condo owner who claims you're blocking his view.
Boat yard at downwind launch ramp - $400/month, risk having meth users that live in the grave yard next door strip boat for next fix.

There is a slim possibility of getting a beach sailing center at a new park at Airport Beach (formerly Prindle Beach). Problem is the wind mostly blows like stink which limits use by noobs.

Make the guy a deal... you will charter the lot on an afternoon when they almost certainly don't rent boats for 25% of retail for 6 weeks.... get the newbies and go chasing.

As I said...it's a paddle and the boat is getting warm. If you pull it off with 6 people under 30... I will send you a case of your favorite!

I can, and do do that now with the Sabots and Bics. If the tide is up and the wave action is mild, we'll take the kids over the reef off the Lahaina Town front and race around the moored boats.

Does 30 kids under 15 count? We fill up two classes every June and July and have a waiting list. I like Bailey's.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Waves without Rick [Re: hobie1616] #197214
11/21/09 12:13 AM
11/21/09 12:13 AM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Confirm comments by Hobie1616. West Maui is not a place to have people sail without good supervision. Rented a wind surfer years ago, and was lucky to have a jet ski get me back to shore, when I was trapped by an offshore breeze, and in trouble. The local rental at the resort did not help, as I was not on one of their board. Last year a guy with kayak rental was going to have cat rentals at "Prindle Beach" but could not get a permit to expand his program to catamarans. Similar problems all over Maui. Not enough business to have adequate support, and weather can come up quickly. kayak and standup boards do a good business, and can be controlled.

Caleb

Re: Waves without Rick [Re: Mark Schneider] #197215
11/21/09 12:36 AM
11/21/09 12:36 AM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
[quote]
Interesting. Hobie will be in a bind, long term, if they can't find a way to bring in young blood with money. [/quote

HOBIE!!?

I have zero patience for dithering or policies that get in the way of everyone in the boat rowing in the same direction or those that say... "ah... I want my own boat because you other guys are ...... fill in the blank..."

Mark, with all due respect, it is not up to Hobie Cat Co. or any Association. It is up to us. We must each work with what we have to grow the sailing programs. Some examples. Check the results for our Wave Class at www.sailsandpoint.org All Wave sailors were under 20. At the HAVAMEGA at Lake Havasu, twenty two Div 4. sailors from the Northwest made the 1,400 mile trip down to race. Six sailors were in their early 20's or younger. Our teams took 2nd in H-17, and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in the Tigers. We brought back two of the Event Waves to add to our fleet at Sail Sand Point. Tomorrow, we will have our Div. 4 AGM at the Sand Point Board room. The discussion on the Tiger, F-18 and Wild Cat has been an extensive Email exchange with over 30 messages to guide our Division on this critical issue.

We all need to step up and take part to grow our sport.

Caleb Tarleton
Sail Sand Point Board
Hobie Fleet 95, Div. 4
US SAILING Multihull Council, and Youth Multihull Championship Comm.
H-17 # 6446

Re: Waves without Rick [Re: hobie1616] #197216
11/21/09 01:26 AM
11/21/09 01:26 AM
JJ_ Offline
enthusiast
JJ_  Offline
enthusiast

The Multihull Council was unanimous on this issue when it first came up years ago; there will be no exclusion of one class association at the request of another.

John, if this "issue...came up years ago" then there was an apparent issue. The problem was not with two classes but with hostile separation of the classes; it appears that there must have been two potential strong opinions. Solution might have been proactive attempts by US Sailing to get cooperation or, better, some coordination.

Idea though... the Class has a TON of available funds that could go to helping support conversions for entry level racers. There would be restrictions and membership requirements I'm sure.

Conversions, sounds interesting.

I would love to live 15 minutes from the water where the wind blows a constant 10 knots or more. I would love to spend all my spare time on the water sharpening my sailing skills... I don't, I can't. IF the wind were always good, I imagine the waters around here would be constantly overloaded with sailing AND the number of friendly locations for sailing would be higher in number. Lucky if you do live there. Most don't. In addition, I -- as are many who own boats -- am just average income bracket.

Because of all this, many look around for a group to sail with who own similar boats. (I have a Wave.) What is available are classes of racers in some confusing argument. My suggestion is NOT JUST to sponsor more B level racing, distance races, or big social events if that's your thing. It is to decide what you want to communicate before it happens.

Re: Waves without Rick [Re: JJ_] #197227
11/21/09 11:00 AM
11/21/09 11:00 AM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by JJ_
I would love to live 15 minutes from the water where the wind blows a constant 10 knots or more.

Come to West Maui brah. The wind is consistent at 23 knots. If you get in trouble it'll blow you to Lanai where the friendly natives will transport you to one of the two Four Seasons Hotels to recuperate and wait for the ferry back to Maui.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Waves without Rick [Re: mmiller] #197241
11/21/09 07:12 PM
11/21/09 07:12 PM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
Recind the comp-tip rule, allow younger & newbie sailors to race B fleet on the old "starter" (cheap!) 16's.

Tough liability issue to remove a protection.

Idea though... the Class has a TON of available funds that could go to helping support conversions for entry level racers. There would be restrictions and membership requirememnts I'm sure.

This would be a fantastic way to use our available funds!

Re: Waves without Rick [Re: rhodysail] #197245
11/21/09 09:06 PM
11/21/09 09:06 PM
38.912, -95.37
_flatlander_ Offline
old hand
_flatlander_  Offline
old hand

38.912, -95.37
Originally Posted by rhodysail
Recind the comp-tip rule, allow younger & newbie sailors to race B fleet on the old "starter" (cheap!) 16's.

Tough liability issue to remove a protection.

Idea though... the Class has a TON of available funds that could go to helping support conversions for entry level racers. There would be restrictions and membership requirememnts I'm sure.

This would be a fantastic way to use our available funds!
Thanks Bob

I ain't buying the
Comptip masts are getting easier and easier to buy on the secondary and there just aren't that many boats out there (ebay, beachcats, here, craigslist...) that don't have them.
it's a regional thing Chris...we didn't have a local Hobie dealer for 15 years! Consequently, the majority of boats (in this area) are pre-'86 models and I rarely see a boat newer than that. Still a ton of post '79 boats around here that are just built like tanks, and will never die. At best, I see about one-third of these usable boats have been retro-fitted.

John H16, H14
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 353 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022