Team_Cat_Fever Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Shark attack/death in Fl. [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #202145
02/04/10 02:30 PM
02/04/10 02:30 PM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
that sucks

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

http://www.capricornsailing.com/
Re: Shark attack/death in Fl. [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #202149
02/04/10 03:01 PM
02/04/10 03:01 PM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Given the size of FL's coastline and the number of people that swim in it's waters each year, the odds of being bitten by a shark, let alone killed, are astronomically small. I could not even begin to count the hours that I have spent sitting on surfboards, windsurfing, or swimming off Florida beaches. In fact, looks like Saturday is shaping up to be a great windsurfing day here. I'll be out and won't even give sharks a second thought. Even if I do get bit, the chances of me dying are pretty remote. If I do get bit I'll get a cool scar and story out of the deal. Chicks dig scars!

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: Shark attack/death in Fl. [Re: ksurfer2] #202151
02/04/10 03:12 PM
02/04/10 03:12 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
I thought the Great white thing and that there was a bunch of them, was the interesting part. We get the same thing up here. We had somebody killed by a shark (they assume) this year ,but it didn't make press.He went swimming at dusk. That seems to be a common denominator around here. I assume the kiteboarder in this story was in daylight, though.

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Shark attack/death in Fl. [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #202152
02/04/10 03:35 PM
02/04/10 03:35 PM
Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Seeker Offline
addict
Seeker  Offline
addict

Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Kite boarders, when they are off their boards and trying to water start, look exactly like the way live bait is presented (suspended) trashing around at the surface for sailfish (the bait is also suspended by a kite). I doubt you could come up with a more enticing way to present the human body for attack than have it bobbing up and down, in and out of the water right at the surface.

It amazes me it has taken this long for one of them to get attacked...All my windsurfing buddies crossed over to kites so I hate to see this happen...especially since I live only about 20 miles north of the attack site.
As for it being a great white…that sounds like a load of crap…the bull sharks and Hammerheads are here all year long…the “experts” need to get out more. Also a lot of Spinner sharks around here in the winter…

Re: Shark attack/death in Fl. [Re: Seeker] #202154
02/04/10 03:57 PM
02/04/10 03:57 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
I thought the annual mating/migration was going on right now as well? I saw some video of a whole lot of sharks heading north, up the east coast, last week on the local Tampa news.

Blade F16
Re: Shark attack/death in Fl. [Re: Seeker] #202156
02/04/10 04:11 PM
02/04/10 04:11 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I used to windsurf up and down Stuart/Bathtub beach areas heavily in the 90's. Great sailing location in my opinon.

There were two occasions (one in which the news helicopters followed) where large sharks came within spitting distance of shore, and their thrashing around drew a lot of attention. The one I saw was at least 10-12 feet in length and meandering up the shoreline in broad daylight. Really cool to watch (was on shore at the time, thanfully)

I agree with Karl's estimates regarding shark bite probability (and that chicks dig scars smile ), although the rebound in fish populations due to environmental conservation efforts would make it logical to presume there would be an increase in the shark populations and therefore shark-bite cases.

I guess the good thing about windsurfing was that if you were encircled by sharks, at least you could get up on your board (even the little 8'8" one could float you sitting down on it).

I had a "huge" ray (or similar creature) brush me once when I was out there. Let's just say that it was the fastest water-start I'd ever achieved.

My only other incidents involved getting a small man-o-war dropped on my chest which had me swelling up like a balloon by the time I sailed in. I think I poured vinegar (maybe ammonia?) on it, and stopped the sting instantly. Had wicked red bumpy lines all over for about 2 weeks after.

Oh, and I sailed the front edge of Hurricane Andrew on Bathtub beach with an 8'2" board and a 2.9 sq. mtr. sail (and was overpowered). Ah, to be young and stupid.... I think sustained winds were around 50 knots. But I was wearing a helmet... and it wasn't blowing offshore...

Jay

Re: Shark attack/death in Fl. [Re: Timbo] #202158
02/04/10 04:18 PM
02/04/10 04:18 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Timbo
I thought the annual mating/migration was going on right now as well? I saw some video of a whole lot of sharks heading north, up the east coast, last week on the local Tampa news.

Glad i didnt know that when i capsized last weekend (right near where the dolphin was killed last year by a tiger shark)

Re: Shark attack/death in Fl. [Re: waterbug_wpb] #202188
02/04/10 07:53 PM
02/04/10 07:53 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
although the rebound in fish populations due to environmental conservation efforts would make it logical to presume there would be an increase in the shark populations and therefore shark-bite cases.

I'd think more fish/food would decrease shark attacks. It's shown that attacks go up when foodchain fish numbers are down.
Timbo probably nailed it with the migration deal.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Shark attack/death in Fl. [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #202223
02/05/10 02:58 AM
02/05/10 02:58 AM
Cutler Bay, Florida
Bajan_Bum Offline
Bajan_Bum  Offline

Cutler Bay, Florida
Believe it or not, I have a friend who won't go on a catamaran for this same reason. He saw the Jaws movie and thinks no small boat is safe.

Re: Shark attack/death in Fl. [Re: Bajan_Bum] #202250
02/05/10 09:18 AM
02/05/10 09:18 AM
Palm Beach Gardens. FL
palmwolfe Offline
palmwolfe  Offline

Palm Beach Gardens. FL
Did you see this pic last week, caught and released off the beach near Craigs condo, maybe he was out for revenge!
Sad story, all reports are that he was a good guy, service on the beach Sat. 11 -2.

http://images.mycapture.com/2781566...de=SCALE&width=600&maxheight=430

More accurate report here;
The shark that killed a kiteboarder off Stuart this week was an 8- or 9-foot shark in the requiem family, a group which includes bull sharks and tiger sharks, a shark attack expert who examined the body said Thursday evening.

Link

Last edited by palmwolfe; 02/05/10 10:26 AM.
Re: Shark attack/death in Fl. [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #202286
02/05/10 11:19 AM
02/05/10 11:19 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
I'd think more fish/food would decrease shark attacks. It's shown that attacks go up when foodchain fish numbers are down.
Timbo probably nailed it with the migration deal.

Well, we did have a freeze recently that pretty much wiped out the fish population near shore. Add to that the baitfish run (what's left of them) every spring, and you've got a recipe for munching.

On a NE breeze with good groundswell, that water gets pretty turbulent, so it was probably hard to see just how many sharks are out there... I know it is worse at North Jetty (Ft. Pierce) on a SE breeze, and there are tons of surfers that go there....

Seeker- do they still let you sail at South Jetty? I haven't sailed there since they built that public beach/boardwalk there. We just used to park in the sand next to that condo building and throw the stuff in the water. It was a fun launch: Knee-high surf on the beach, but sailing past the jetty into overhead conditions. Good times.

Jay

Re: Shark attack/death in Fl. [Re: waterbug_wpb] #202312
02/05/10 12:49 PM
02/05/10 12:49 PM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline
addict
TheManShed  Offline
addict

Palm Beach County
I am saddened by the death of a fellow sailor.

I was bumped by a hammerhead in the 70's while diving in Okinawa, Japan. My friend and I were diving an old WWII submarine tending station built into the shoreline and partially carved into the hillside. Pretty cool place and a fun dive except there were always sharks and barracudas in there. Usually barracudas make me uneasy because they are the schizophrenics of the fish world. Anyway I felt a push from behind thinking it was my friend messing around I turned and was face to face with the hammerhead. We carried bang sticks that held a 45 cal round. I gave it to him right between the eyes. Pretty hard to miss that shot on a hammerhead. I cut his jaws out with my Marine’s K-Bar that I always carried. The water was bloody and it was getting pretty crazy in the little cove like area and no way we were going to chance getting back to the gate doors to get out to the sea. We scaled the wall got cut up some doing that so we stayed out of the water went overland to get back. I still have the jaws. It was a big hammerhead they have a small mouth and these jaws fit over my head. I did some crazy **** in the service as a young SeaBee.

I had a couple of other adventures diving over there. In the early days my dive club partner was a Colonel he was bitten in the hand while cave diving when he placed his hand on the cave wall to adjust his flipper just when a Moray Eel was poking his head out of a hole. Their teeth curve and interlock so he wasn't going to pull his hand free and if the eel swam back into the hole, tough toe nails. I pulled out my K-Bar and cut the eel’s head off before the colonel or eel knew what was going on. Later after he return from his injury I found out he flew the SR-71. Just in case you meet me these days I don’t carry a military fighting knife anymore so it is OK.

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 451 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022