McCrae Y.C. Mornington Peninsu...
S
Simon C Offline OP
addict
Simon C  Offline OP
addict
S

****-ups by the nut on the end of the tiller and at least enough wind to occasionally get a hull up when reaching:-

When working to windward I slowly but steadily pull away.

When reaching, shy to beam, I am significantly quicker than them

Broad reach is faster than them but not as noticeable as shy or beam.

Running…. Can’t get away or catch. .

To get something happening on the run I have tried on occasions tacking down wind which seems to have been successful more often than not, despite the extra distance covered.

When sailing with Mozzies, we all run. Is it faster, or is it just the way we do it because…. Is there evidence either way…. or could it just be that the set up of my boat makes me a slug downwind? Or..Maybe PT’s are proportionately faster on a run and I would have gained more if I'd not tacked downwind.

Thought it might be a good discussion point

Cheers,

Simon
Taipan AUS341
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: To run or to tack.. that is the question [Re: Simon C] #207000
03/29/10 05:56 AM
03/29/10 05:56 AM
Gippsland Lakes
mitchellsailor Offline
journeyman
mitchellsailor  Offline
journeyman

Gippsland Lakes
Even though I feel silly writing like I know something here is my (youthful) 5 cents for the "discussion." Like everything in sailing it’s a matter of compromise, sailing to the conditions and judgement. Also I’m writing from cat rig perspective when of course the addition of a jib means tacking and us cats getting left behind :'( (Neil & Mick).

Chop at an unfriendly angle and lack of wind would merit "tacking" just to keep moving as opposed to hobby horsing and swearing.

More wind in a particular area of a course can make it seem like tacking is the fast thing to do when really someone just saw some pressure you didn’t.

The only way tacking downwind becomes feasible is with some "wildthinging" (sitting in, flying a hull and generating apparent wind to try and achieve good downwind VMG)
Very fun in pre race manoeuvres and a common thing in Taipan's and A's. Could possibly be quicker in a very select few conditions with a Mozzi but the harsh reality is even with my mere 65kg frame our rig is too "small"
ALSO for racing it is too high risk with relation to the skill required to do it in an effective way, and getting caught on the wrong side of lifts, lulls.

cheers

Mosquito 1750 Bonnie-GLYC / Peninsula

The plan was simple.... Like my brother in law Phil, except this plan just might work!
Re: To run or to tack.. that is the question [Re: mitchellsailor] #207063
03/29/10 01:54 PM
03/29/10 01:54 PM
Port Noarlunga, SA, Australia
D
Darryn Offline
addict
Darryn  Offline
addict
D

Port Noarlunga, SA, Australia
I gybe downwind, seems to be work for me. In light wind running square works,
Darryn

Re: To run or to tack.. that is the question [Re: mitchellsailor] #207093
03/29/10 05:44 PM
03/29/10 05:44 PM
S
Simon C Offline OP
addict
Simon C  Offline OP
addict
S

Originally Posted by mitchellsailor
Even though I feel silly writing like I know something here is my (youthful) 5 cents for the "discussion."

Never feel silly, opinions are what forums are all about and you make some good points. (Mind you, seems there's a fair bit of silliness happening on some other forums in here lately shocked )

Think I'll try practising the wildthing and see how I go. Haven't had a swim for a while so I'm probably due : grin

Thanks for your comments also Darryn.. What about the rest of you... 40 odd views and only 2 opinions??

Cheers

Simon
Taipan AUS341
Re: To run or to tack.. that is the question [Re: Simon C] #207108
03/29/10 11:24 PM
03/29/10 11:24 PM
Melbourne
Nic M Offline
Nic M  Offline

Melbourne
I have read the advice and am going to try it too......any other advice obviously welcome.....

Nic Maan
Sanity 1815
Re: To run or to tack.. that is the question [Re: Nic M] #207109
03/30/10 01:20 AM
03/30/10 01:20 AM
Matt_Stone Offline
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline
addict

it all depends on the weather, tide, waves,and wind.
i do both.

Matt

Re: To run or to tack.. that is the question [Re: Simon C] #207122
03/30/10 06:33 AM
03/30/10 06:33 AM
Somers, Westernport Bay, Victo...
Peter_Foulsum Offline
addict
Peter_Foulsum  Offline
addict

Somers, Westernport Bay, Victo...
Simon,

Congratulations on your handicap win last Saturday and well done beating all the Paper Tigers over the line. cool
You just need to be a couple of minutes faster. smile

Typically the run is the leg where many get to rest. sleep I like to think that it's the leg where I can make up ground by sitting as far forward to just avoid nose diving and trying to ride as many waves for as long as possible. If that means getting away from the dead run until an opening appears in the front wave then do it. There is nothing worse than having to climb up over the back of a wave in front of you. cry

Getting clean air is also very important so getting away from those pesky Paper Tigers and avoiding being blanketed at the top mark is critical.

Try it out in your next race.

Regards,

Peter

p.s. Maybe the Paper Tiger full hull shape and buoyancy also assists them downwind.

Mosquito 1814
Macka Mozzie
Re: To run or to tack.. that is the question [Re: Peter_Foulsum] #207206
03/30/10 11:23 PM
03/30/10 11:23 PM
australia
S
self_inflicted Offline
journeyman
self_inflicted  Offline
journeyman
S

australia
Hi Simon
For my 5 cents worth, When i used to sail my hobie turbo,I worked out that i wasn't on the wire up wind, it didn't pay me to tack down wind. i would hug a mast and just run square.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 253 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022