Hop To
Newbie Taipan Q #207294
03/31/10 07:58 PM
03/31/10 07:58 PM
NQLD, Australia
Learning to Fly... Offline OP
Learning to Fly...  Offline OP

NQLD, Australia
The Aust site is down so I thought I would ask here, not F16 but Taipan 4.9.

Whats the best way to store the righting rope on a 4.9 (I'm used to a pocket on a NACRA), currently have it wrapped around the main beam but its ugly and slow to untie. When I was looking for a boat I noticed a few different set ups with righting ropes under the tramp with bungies but I didn't take any notice.

Also can you stand on the daggerboards while righting?

--Advertisement--
Re: Newbie Taipan Q [Re: Learning to Fly...] #207311
03/31/10 11:54 PM
03/31/10 11:54 PM
australia
S
self_inflicted Offline
journeyman
self_inflicted  Offline
journeyman
S

australia
Hi Nacrajon
I tried to post a picture of the system, I couldn't.
I'll try to explain it.
Picture the underside of the tramp
Run a rope from the front corners of the front beam to about 18 inches from the rear beam.(put a stainless ring on the rope)There maybe saddles there on the front beam
Tie a piece of shockcord around the front beam (at stricker pole)run it through to the rear beam (you can either use a pulley or through the eyelets on the rear beam)
You then tie the shock cord back to the stainless ring on the rope
Then just tension the shockcord, So that the rope is under the tramp
When you capsize grab the rope at the front beam the shockcord will stretch and your system will work like the nacra one
I wouldn't recommend standing on the centre boards.
Just stand on the hull at the front beam, ENSURE the bows are facing head to wind and up it'll come
I hope this has helped
Richard

Re: Newbie Taipan Q [Re: self_inflicted] #207315
04/01/10 12:53 AM
04/01/10 12:53 AM
NQLD, Australia

NQLD, Australia
Cheers Richard, cheap and simple.
Thanks
Jon

Re: Newbie Taipan Q [Re: Learning to Fly...] #207323
04/01/10 02:27 AM
04/01/10 02:27 AM
australia
S
self_inflicted Offline
journeyman
self_inflicted  Offline
journeyman
S

australia
hi Jon
Which taipan did you end up getting, I was following your adventure's on catsailor.net.
There is another way, If you are interested, I use it on my boats, Where there is no rope running from one side to the other.
Let me know and i'll try to explain it or PM you with a drawing
Richard

Re: Newbie Taipan Q [Re: self_inflicted] #207331
04/01/10 04:07 AM
04/01/10 04:07 AM
Gippsland Lakes
mitchellsailor Offline
journeyman
mitchellsailor  Offline
journeyman

Gippsland Lakes
shockcoed system is good and a good addition is tieing a bit of whipping twine to the rope and then the rear eyelet, pulley and tighten it up to make sure its all out of the water. then if you capsize (not very often ;P ) the twine breaks as soon as you grab the righting rope and you still have the shockcord to keep it out of the way while you sail past the rest of the fleet and onto victory
ps did you end up getting your lifejacket back? i completely forgot to mention earlier but we did hand it into the club.

Mosquito 1750 Bonnie-GLYC / Peninsula

The plan was simple.... Like my brother in law Phil, except this plan just might work!
Re: Newbie Taipan Q [Re: mitchellsailor] #207334
04/01/10 05:14 AM
04/01/10 05:14 AM
NQLD, Australia

NQLD, Australia
I will try the first method but as I have a brand new front beam I don’t want to drill any more holes in it.

I was thinking 4mm dyneema with a spliced loop over the beams outboard of the dolphin striker bolts. Spliced at the part your hand would go to 10mm rope through pulley at rear then the opposite the other side.

About looking for a Taipan, when I said I was interested in one I got 8 approaches and in my 2600km trip last weekend I saw 5 of them. Where you get the best bang for your buck currently in the market seems to be about the mid teens where you can pick up a tidy 200+ boat with big head main – unfortunately my budget didn’t quite reach that far.

So I bought 51, all the boats under $10K needed parts replaced before they were up to speed so you had to factor this in. 51 needs new rudder stocks and a bit of fairing work on the rudders amongst other stuff. I rang up AHPC and was pleasantly surprised at the price of new stocks ($100 for a pair, square section alloy, parts unassembled).

I haven’t sailed it in over 4kts of breeze yet (BTW I didn't capsize), Monday night I blew my back and have been bedridden since (hence the forums), will be 2-4 weeks before I can use it in anger.

I got my PFD back from Eden; great regatta can’t wait until I can sail there again and hopefully clean up some Mozzies.

Last edited by nacrajon; 04/01/10 05:44 AM.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 411 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022