Nova Scotia Canada
O
old salt Offline OP
stranger
old salt  Offline OP
stranger
O

Nova Scotia Canada
I sailed catamarans quite a bit in the 70's and early 80's but the usual life events (marriage, children, etc.) put an end to that. However, I just got back from a trip to the Dominican Republic, where I was able to take my wife out on a Hobie Wave a few times in some good onshore winds. She used to give me 'the look' whenever I mentioned sailing or buying a boat, but now that she's actually tried it, she's hooked. As soon as we got back she started looking for used boats for sale! I have pretty much decided that I would like a Nacra 570/580 or it's nearest equivalent.

Buying one used would be nice, but now that I live in Nova Scotia the opportunities to buy one locally are exactly zero. I see some for sale in Florida, or Texas, but that's a long ways away to buy a boat sight unseen. I've checked out the nacra.ca site, but there's no address. I was even in Toronto last week on business and would have liked to drop in on 'Faster Boats' but it only seems to exist on the Web!
I pictured buying a new boat as a process similar to buying a new car - you go to a showroom, check out the various models, maybe even go for a test drive (I can dream, can't I? :)). Am I just supposed to send an email to dave@nacra.ca, tell him to order me a boat, and wait for it to show up at my door? Seems a bit odd, if this is the national dealer for Nacra products. I'll keep on checking the classifieds...just curious about how the new boat sales business works and how it differs from other retail.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: old salt] #210964
05/13/10 03:09 PM
05/13/10 03:09 PM
southern Ontario
Twister Offline
Twister  Offline

southern Ontario
You might have better luck with a hobie dealer. Several in Ont and Quebec.

Ryan
Dart 18 #4860
Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: Twister] #210966
05/13/10 03:19 PM
05/13/10 03:19 PM
O
oxj Offline
journeyman
oxj  Offline
journeyman
O

I would contact Jill at Fun in the Sun (clearwater, FL) about an F18. There are some active sailors from Nova Scotia who travel down here to Florida quite a bit so there might be some delivery options.

Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: Twister] #210967
05/13/10 03:21 PM
05/13/10 03:21 PM
Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Seeker Offline
addict
Seeker  Offline
addict

Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
http://www.falconmarinellc.com/models.html

Come on down to sunny Florida and test drive a new Blade or Falcon F16...the NACRA 570/580 had its day...today belongs to F16. A lot has changed in the last ten years, let alone the last 30...check it out before commiting to anything.

Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: Seeker] #210979
05/13/10 05:41 PM
05/13/10 05:41 PM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Originally Posted by Seeker
http://www.falconmarinellc.com/models.html

Come on down to sunny Florida and test drive a new Blade or Falcon F16...the NACRA 570/580 had its day...today belongs to F16. A lot has changed in the last ten years, let alone the last 30...check it out before commiting to anything.
As much as I love my F16, it's not the boat for everyone. Weight of the crew, skills, usage, predominant wind speed where you are going to sail are all factor to take into consideration.

Why don't you tell us:

* what conditions are predominant in the part of the world you are going to sail in? More than 20 knots of wind frequent? Or mostly 8 to 10 knots? What kind of waves, short chop, long rolling waves?
* Launch facilities? Beach launching in surf? A nice ramp in a protected area? Rocky beach? How far will you need to move the boat by hand?
* Not much water and rocks lurking under the surface or nice deep water?
* There is no trapeze on a wave, the boats you talk about are double trapeze. Just so you prepare your wife smile
* Do you intend to race around buoys? Go for day trips? Or just sail back and forth on a screaming reach?
* Always the two of you? Being able to sail alone a desirable thing? Or want to take two buddies to go the the island a couple of miles away?
* A rough budget?

Answers to those questions would narrow your choices by indicating a rough approximation of:

- What rig power you need, and how to control it (no trapeze, one trapeze, dual trapeze)
- Daggerboard or centerboard or neither
- Weight and length of the platform
- Hull material (heavy but tough, or light but delicate)
- A spi is fantastic, but could be intimidating...

And so on... We can help you narrowing the choice to 3 or 4 models. Once that's done contact the manufacturers or an active fleet and ask for a ride.

Last edited by pepin; 05/13/10 05:42 PM.
Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: pepin] #210981
05/13/10 05:54 PM
05/13/10 05:54 PM
Nimrod Offline
enthusiast
Nimrod  Offline
enthusiast

I am sure there are some knowledgeable folks on this list that will help you with buying a boat, that is look at it for you before you buy it.

As a word of comfort, I have not come across too many cat sailors selling a boat that is not what they said it was.

Good luck.

Last edited by Nimrod; 05/13/10 05:55 PM.
Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: Twister] #210983
05/13/10 06:15 PM
05/13/10 06:15 PM
Toronto, Ontario
pitchpoledave Offline
old hand
pitchpoledave  Offline
old hand

Toronto, Ontario
Hi Ryan,
That is a pretty inconsiderate comment. Not sure what the problem is considering that you have never bought anything from me. It doesn't pay to have a store front in this business unless you have a full service chandlery.
Dave

Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: pitchpoledave] #211005
05/13/10 10:55 PM
05/13/10 10:55 PM
japan
erice Offline
old hand
erice  Offline
old hand

japan
580 going through it's paces here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbTaD3c1UG4

what about the mystere boys in quebec?

Last edited by erice; 05/13/10 10:57 PM.

eric e
1982 nacra 5.2 - 2158
2009 weta tri - 294
Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: erice] #211007
05/13/10 11:57 PM
05/13/10 11:57 PM

D
DougSnell
Unregistered
DougSnell
Unregistered
D

Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: pitchpoledave] #211008
05/14/10 01:23 AM
05/14/10 01:23 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
Originally Posted by pitchpoledave
Hi Ryan,
It doesn't pay to have a store front in this business unless you have a full service chandlery.
Dave

grin

Good luck finding a boat.

Call my friend Olivier at Sextant Marine a call. He'll give you a hand.

http://www.sextantmarine.com

Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: erice] #211023
05/14/10 05:32 AM
05/14/10 05:32 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by erice

what about the mystere boys in quebec?

I was going to suggest that, but those are a dead class, (edit) he seems to be looking at NEW boats(/edit), parts are getting more rare, and the prices i have seen at the school in quebec seem very high to me, but i do love my 5.5.

if interested: Yves Sansoucy has continued to run his sailing school, ... École de voile Sansoucy 150, 27e avenue Pointe-Calumet J0N 1G1 (450) 472-8042"

Last edited by andrewscott; 05/14/10 07:54 AM.
Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: pitchpoledave] #211030
05/14/10 07:15 AM
05/14/10 07:15 AM
southern Ontario
Twister Offline
Twister  Offline

southern Ontario
Dave
You're taking this personal. I have nothing against you or your business, you can run it however you like. I am just trying to help a guy find a boat.

Ryan
Dart 18 #4860
Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: old salt] #211035
05/14/10 07:59 AM
05/14/10 07:59 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by old salt
just curious about how the new boat sales business works and how it differs from other retail.

I have never bought a new cat, but i as far as used one's go i always suggest people at the VERY least have the seller completely rig the boat prior to payment (to make sure all the parts are there, and so you can see how to rig it).

I personally would probably not buy a boat (or car) (again) without a test sail to make sure it floats and works. my first cat was missing parts and i had to spend about $400 to get it up and running.

Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: ] #211037
05/14/10 08:12 AM
05/14/10 08:12 AM
Nova Scotia Canada
O
old salt Offline OP
stranger
old salt  Offline OP
stranger
O

Nova Scotia Canada
Thank you everyone for your responses! Providing answers to Pepin's questions seems like a good place to start.
I will also mention that there is a Hobie dealer in Dartmouth (Atlantic Winds Adventure http://www.atlanticwindsadventure.com/) but the Hobie lineup seems to have a gap right where I'd like a boat to be. He tried to sell me a Getaway. I want something bigger and a little more spirited - the 14' cat I built in High School long, long ago would run circles around it, I think, (apologies to any happy Getaway owners). Then the product line jumps up into the stratosphere with the Tiger and FXOne going for $22,000 and $29,000 respectively! It's like having to choose between a Kia Rio and a Ferrari, when what I want is an RX-8.
There's also an AHPC dealer in Halifax (http://www.ahpc.com.au/Dealers.html)! I couldn't find it when I was there...need to hunt around on foot I guess. It's right in downtown Halifax, so it's likely to be a little hole-in-the wall shop with nothing but brochures. Probably priced like an FXOne as well; a bit out of my league I think. I'm not trying to win the World Championships :-)

* what conditions are predominant in the part of the world you are going to sail in? More than 20 knots of wind frequent? Or mostly 8 to 10 knots? What kind of waves, short chop, long rolling waves?
Winds here are typically either 10-20 knots or dead calm. Light winds are relatively rare, and I doubt I'd take the boat out then anyway - I like going fast.

* Launch facilities? Beach launching in surf? A nice ramp in a protected area? Rocky beach? How far will you need to move the boat by hand?
Still investigating. There are several nearby yacht clubs with sheltered ramp access. The beaches I know about have no access for boat launching, but there are lots I don't know about yet. Assume a ramp for now.

* Not much water and rocks lurking under the surface or nice deep water?
Water is mostly deep everywhere. Sailing up to Melmerby beach at low tide I'd want to be careful, but the bottom is sandy out to 100 yards from shore!

* There is no trapeze on a wave, the boats you talk about are double trapeze. Just so you prepare your wife
LOL - a nice photo of a 570 with two people on a trapeze has been my desktop wallpaper for a couple of months. She won't go out on the wire, but I will.
I'm a pretty big man (6'3", 245 lbs) - I think I could hold it down all by myself with her sitting on the windward hull. We were far too much for that poor Wave.
I can always spill power off the main if I need to, which is better than wanting more power but not having it.

* Do you intend to race around buoys? Go for day trips? Or just sail back and forth on a screaming reach?
There's no class racing here that I know of - I asked the owner of AWA and he knew of none either. I plan to skipper the boat with one or more guests aboard
during the summer (friends, relatives, nieces, nephews). No more than 4 people on board at one time for just sailing back and forth. Might work my
way up to sailing across Northumberland Strait to PEI, but mostly just fun sailing within sight of land.

* Always the two of you? Being able to sail alone a desirable thing? Or want to take two buddies to go the the island a couple of miles away?
I would never be taking the boat out single-handed. Mostly the two of us, plus occasional guests. I have a couple of friends that I think could make
effective crew for really getting the boat moving while she watches from the beach :-).

* A rough budget?
What can I get for $15,000?

Answers to those questions would narrow your choices by indicating a rough approximation of:

- What rig power you need, and how to control it (no trapeze, one trapeze, dual trapeze)
- Daggerboard or centerboard or neither
- Weight and length of the platform
- Hull material (heavy but tough, or light but delicate)
- A spi is fantastic, but could be intimidating...
Don't need a spinnaker to start with. I'd be the only one who would know how to set it, and I can't do that and steer too!

PitchpoleDave, are you the Dave that owns the nacra.ca site?

Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: old salt] #211043
05/14/10 08:51 AM
05/14/10 08:51 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by old salt

* A rough budget?
What can I get for $15,000?

any beachcat model (used)

Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: old salt] #211048
05/14/10 09:34 AM
05/14/10 09:34 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
So you need:

- 18 to 20 feet. You will not fit 3 to 4 adults on anything smaller
- Fiberglass. Lighter and faster than any rotomolded boat.
- Center board or Daggerboards a must. Makes for a better boat that is easier to tack and goes upwind better
- Not a buoy only toy, aka extra light, extra powerful. You need something more substantial.

In the $15000 price range, go used. I'm not sure what you can find locally but in Europe with those constraints you can get:

* a Hurricane 5.9. Really nice boat, the version with a pinhead main and no spi is a great reaching machine.
* an oldish F18 (like the Tiger, Alado, Mattia, Cirrus, lots to choose from)
* An old Tornado could do the trick on the extreme end of the scale. Those are *big* and powerful but you will not find anything faster! Price of those has gone down recently, but maintenance costs are heinous however...
* A Nacra Inter 20. Or its successor the Nacra 20.
* A little smaller, the Nacra 580. Not a lot of them around however. I've never seen one I think...

Those boats mostly come with spinnaker these days, or can be equipped with one. You can remove the spi hardware and sail them without it, but frankly that would be a shame. Spi are mounted into a sock and go up in three seconds on any tack. I can manage steering and the spi on my F16 sailing solo, no problem. It just takes a bit of training.

I'm sure people on your continent will have good suggestions as mine are probably more tailored to Europe: I'm not sure there are any H5.9 in North America. A shame really as it would be the perfect boat for you smile

Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: pepin] #211051
05/14/10 09:39 AM
05/14/10 09:39 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

if you are going used, and you have that budget.. i would look into a mystere 5.5 or 6.0 (with lots of spares like extra rudders, rudder castings, as those are the biggest issue with our brand)

this should be in the $4-$7k range, with your budget you could get new sails and lots more..

Last edited by andrewscott; 05/14/10 10:36 AM.
Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: ] #211059
05/14/10 10:16 AM
05/14/10 10:16 AM
Nova Scotia Canada
O
old salt Offline OP
stranger
old salt  Offline OP
stranger
O

Nova Scotia Canada
Thanks Pepin. I had to do a search for Hurricane 5.9's. I had not heard of them before but yes, that is just the kind of boat I am looking for! Very nice. You see why I'm looking at Nacra as well...big boats but not overly complex. You're right about the Tornado - that is at the extreme end of my list of choices! I can see now that it's unlikely that my budget extends to a new boat in this size/class, yet it's more than enough to buy a used beach cat anywhere in North America. I know nothing about buying and shipping something this big, if I find a good buy on a used boat in Florida or Texas or California. Obviously there must be companies that do this all the time. I have a brother-in-law who owns his own truck and drives a North-South route from here to the Carolina's...I'll have to ask him some questions.

Time to do a search for Mystere's as well and see what they're like.

Last edited by old salt; 05/14/10 10:18 AM.
Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: old salt] #211064
05/14/10 10:38 AM
05/14/10 10:38 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

here's what they're like

and
2, 5.5's

Last edited by andrewscott; 05/14/10 10:45 AM.
Re: Shopping for a boat [Re: old salt] #211083
05/14/10 12:40 PM
05/14/10 12:40 PM
2017 F18 Americas Site
Dan_Delave Offline
old hand
Dan_Delave  Offline
old hand

2017 F18 Americas Site
A friend of mine is selling his Hobie Tiger for about $6,000 without trailer. If you like I can ask if he sold it yet. It is on the West Coast and in okay shape. He is able to make it go pretty fast but decided to buy a Capricorn.

Dan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 709 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022