06/01/10 10:30 AM
06/01/10 10:30 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
If you need a positive lock on your trap harness that's a clear indication that your trapeze rings are mounted incorrectly. If mounted correctly the ring/loop is pulled up and stay in the hook once put in it.

If you have a trapeze system where the shock cord pulls the ring down, don't get a locking hook, change the system.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Favorite trapeze harness [Re: pepin] #212351
06/01/10 10:56 AM
06/01/10 10:56 AM
Northern Virginia
SoggyCheetoh Offline
SoggyCheetoh  Offline

Northern Virginia
What Pepin said.

Alec D.
Pirates of the Chesapeake www.teampiratesofthechesapeake.com
Nacra20 1057 - Crew
F16 Viper 152 - Uni
Re: Favorite trapeze harness [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #212353
06/01/10 11:31 AM
06/01/10 11:31 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation
Also, should have talked about the lack of a positive lock. I don't think you need one of these or even really want one. I've had no problems staying on the hook, even after getting my feet washed off the boat and being dragged underwater at 15 knots.

I ,situationally, disagree with this. The "keeper" is absolutely necessary on some trap set-ups and beneficial on some others. The ring won't fall out while your trapping or getting dragged underwater(What's up with that, Trey?Get your crew in line)it'll come off when sitting on deck,preparing to go out or transitioning. My marks harness doesn't have one, my distance harness does. I've been dropped off the side with my marks harness because of that.Not as big a deal on a w/l ,but certainly a big deal offshore.
To each his own.

I cut all my keepers off - I've never experienced a time that I needed it (unless my bunji on my trap wasn't working correctly for some reason). I cut the keepers off because I was sometimes getting fooled into thinking I was hooked in when I was not...which sucks when you're sailing an a-cat and there's nobody to come back to get you.

Jake Kohl
Re: Favorite trapeze harness [Re: Jake] #212354
06/01/10 11:36 AM
06/01/10 11:36 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
JC made my keeper into a nice piece of jewelry that I have to wear for a year.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Favorite trapeze harness [Re: John Williams] #212356
06/01/10 11:42 AM
06/01/10 11:42 AM
Southampton UK
NacraKid Offline
NacraKid  Offline

Southampton UK
I find the keepers really annoying when coming in off the wire, and i just get rid of them every time. I have a fully adjustable
(skiff) trapeze system on both the cats i sail (one as helm, one as crew) and never fallen off, just got to make sure your hooked on before you jump out, or hook on once your out there!

Re: Favorite trapeze harness [Re: NacraKid] #212359
06/01/10 11:57 AM
06/01/10 11:57 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
BTW I sailed a 49er as a crew recently, and the #1 annoyance was the trapeze system where the ring is pulled down by the shock cord. Not only it is pulled down but when you stand up the ring height at standstill is lower than the hook on your harness. And you spend your time running around standing up on those boats! So you end up having one of your hand just to keep the damn ring from falling of. Considering you need at least 3 hands and quick feet to manage the crazy amount of unstable sail area this didn't go well really.

I mentioned to the boat owner that IMHO those were rigged incorrectly, but it seems the norm in the skiff world: [Linked Image].

Miss the hook on a cat you have half a chance to recover as long as you grab onto something. Miss the hook on a 49er you take a bath and the boat capsizes instantly.

Re: Favorite trapeze harness [Re: pepin] #212361
06/01/10 12:15 PM
06/01/10 12:15 PM
Southampton UK
NacraKid Offline
NacraKid  Offline

Southampton UK
Love fully adjustables on cats, i find that when helming i come out of a tack grab the ring, hook on and just slide my hand a little bit up the string to keep it hooked on and then go out just holding onto the string. I find it's the quickest way, no fiddiling around finding handles or disks or fidiling with hands to hold sheetes ect.

And as a crew up wind i hook on when out there, and downwind i do the same as when helming

Re: Favorite trapeze harness [Re: pepin] #212364
06/01/10 12:55 PM
06/01/10 12:55 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by pepin
BTW I sailed a 49er as a crew recently, and the #1 annoyance was the trapeze system where the ring is pulled down by the shock cord. Not only it is pulled down but when you stand up the ring height at standstill is lower than the hook on your harness. And you spend your time running around standing up on those boats! So you end up having one of your hand just to keep the damn ring from falling of. Considering you need at least 3 hands and quick feet to manage the crazy amount of unstable sail area this didn't go well really.

I mentioned to the boat owner that IMHO those were rigged incorrectly, but it seems the norm in the skiff world: [Linked Image].

Miss the hook on a cat you have half a chance to recover as long as you grab onto something. Miss the hook on a 49er you take a bath and the boat capsizes instantly.

Thanks for making my point on the keeper AFTER disagreeing with me. grin

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Favorite trapeze harness [Re: John Williams] #212366
06/01/10 01:04 PM
06/01/10 01:04 PM

M
MarkMT
Unregistered
MarkMT
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by John Williams
Come to Racine - you won't regret it. Great venue, but beyond that you'll be among a friendly fleet that will get you a season's worth of sailing in a week. There will be lots of advice available for free. There just isn't a substitute for making your class nationals each year. Pack up the boat and get there.

As of today we have 40 F18's registered!

[Linked Image]

Re: Favorite trapeze harness [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #212368
06/01/10 01:35 PM
06/01/10 01:35 PM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Hu? I think you are misreading what I said. On the 49er they don't want keepers, ever. But most of them rig they hooks in a way that auto detach you unless you keep your hand on it.

I think keeper == bad and pull down rings == bad.

No keeper and a pull up ring is the best combination. So yup, I disagree with you grin

Re: Favorite trapeze harness [Re: pepin] #212371
06/01/10 02:21 PM
06/01/10 02:21 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by pepin
Hu? I think you are misreading what I said. On the 49er they don't want keepers, ever. But most of them rig they hooks in a way that auto detach you unless you keep your hand on it.

I think keeper == bad and pull down rings == bad.

No keeper and a pull up ring is the best combination. So yup, I disagree with you grin

Yep, keeping one hand on your hook sounds real efficient.

To clarify all of my rings, on the A and the 20 ,pull up. I still like the idea of the keeper for offshore distance racing.2nd day of the Tybee this year is a perfect example. We were getting knocked around right much. I was on deck and the trap served as much as a lifeline as a trapeze.I was hooked and I knew it. Without a keeper the violent motion of the boat alone could have easily unhooked it. One less thing to worry about in the nasty stuff. Like I said before "To each his own".

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Favorite trapeze harness [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #212373
06/01/10 03:22 PM
06/01/10 03:22 PM
Southampton UK
NacraKid Offline
NacraKid  Offline

Southampton UK
Keeping your hand on your ring is actually quite effective lol. On a skiff you use your adjuster alot if you are moving in and out a lot so that your ring is nearlly always at crouching level. I do similar on cats with a fully adjustble system, it means you can move in and out withouth fidiling with handles and it means you steer straight. Also having a keeper is a total scumbag when you are trying to unhook. When i come off the wire i pull myself up to standing and my hook just falls off, which is very nice when tacking as a helm and gybing as a crew as it means you can stay out on the wire longer and roll the boat.

It is really personal prefernece and trapezing style, I use my adjuster alot and go out without hooking on when crewing (and helming sometimes)

Re: Favorite trapeze harness [Re: old salt] #212522
06/03/10 02:33 PM
06/03/10 02:33 PM
F
fredo Offline
stranger
fredo  Offline
stranger
F

Magic Marine Pro Harness or Revolution are by far the best. I tried all of them Aquata, Gill, Gull and zhik . You can get them in Us at the
http://www.sailingproshop.com/Products/Magic-Marine-Revolution-Trapeze-Harness__MM086500.aspx or in Canada at Cata Peformance www.cataperformance.com

Re: Favorite trapeze harness [Re: fredo] #212550
06/04/10 12:49 AM
06/04/10 12:49 AM
Alberta
C
Chris_A Offline
stranger
Chris_A  Offline
stranger
C

Alberta
In Canada at Cata Peformance...not very useful site as it is mostly french

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 681 guests, and 108 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022