North-West Europe
MEDIA RELEASE Fun in the Sun Services

For Immediate Release North American Distributors for

AHPC Australian High Performance Catamarans

JUNE 25, 2011 Clearwater, FL USA 727-734-0799

www.ViperClubSailing.com

NEW HIGH PERFORMANCE CATAMARAN FOR YOUTH SAILING

By Australian High Performance Catamarans

Fun in the Sun Services (FITSS), North American Distributor for Australian High Performance Catamarans (AHPC) introduces the F16 VIPER Club to their line of F18 and F16 catamarans.

With FITSS and AHPC providing boats again for the 2011 U.S. Multihull Championships and Youth Championships, AHPC has developed a boat which fits perfectly for junior and lightweight

sailors called the VIPER Club. The VIPER Club will have significantly less sail area than the reigning F16 Global Champion VIPER.

FITSS has developed the VIPER Club program, a special package for Clubs and Schools to afford this exciting new boat, and has brought in catamaran champion John Casey to head the program.

The beauty and uniqueness of this design has many facets.

· With its smaller sail design, lightweight teams can have great control.

· The Viper Club allows junior sailors to enter into high performance spinnaker sailing on a fast, stable catamaran platform.

· The F16 has great resale value as it is one of the fastest growing catamaran fleets in the world.

· 2 VIPER Clubs can be stacked fully assembled with mast up only taking up 25 feet of area.

· The VIPER Club is a versatile solution for multiple sailing programs because the boat can be configured as either a VIPER, for advanced crews, or a VIPER Club for lightweight crews or

juniors by a simple sail change.

· The VIPER Club can be sailed single-handed for heavier sailors, double handed for women or mixed teams, and even triple handed for lightweight junior sailors.

· When the Catamaran re-enters the Olympic Classes, the VIPER Club will be the perfect training platform to prepare junior teams for future Olympic Campaigns or to compete in the U.S. Multihull Championships and the ISAF Youth World Multihull Championships.

· Lightweight for easy maneuverability on land, durable, fast and double trapeze excitement!

· Boats are delivered with a 2 day coaching seminar and supported by a nation wide dealer network.

FITSS will debut the boat in the Annapolis area at the West River Sailing Club Junior Regatta, followed by the Rock Hall Yacht Club Junior Olympics. The boat will be available for demos when conditions allow. The youth are encouraged to learn about the boat and campaign to attend the U.S. Sailing Youth Multihull Championships next June in Long Beach, CA.

The web site www.ViperClubSailing.com has just been launched to help bring this news to the masses.

FITSS has put together a subsidized program to help clubs get this exciting new catamaran into clubs and into the hands of youth sailors around the country. For more information, contact Jill Nickerson at Funthesunweb@gmail.com or call at 727-734-0799.

(posted for Jill)

Last edited by Wouter; 06/29/10 07:38 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
--Advertisement--
F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Wouter] #214867
06/29/10 07:38 AM
06/29/10 07:38 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
I think this is one of the best things to hit the market in a long time.

I have always said that the Nacra 500 was pretty much the best (teenage) youth boat there is; I think it is better then the SL16 for example. Sadly Nacra never pushed the 500 to its full potential.

However, this Viper club may well be the perfect answer to a deadlocked situation.

It has the excellent superwing (lightweight alu) mast (shared by most F16's) that allows for a surprisingly wide range of tuning thus effectively making the rig suitable to a wide range of crew weights. This mast is also of the new mast variant (not tear drop shaped !) that all modern boats like the A's and F18's are using now. The youth will therefore learn to sail with this kind of mast from the very beginning !

The new club sail area is basically identical to the Nacra 500 (also just right), but the Viper Club is lighter (the one compliant about the nacra 500) and has a modern hullshape with daggers. As such the club version remains fully F16 compliant allowing the youths to both participate in those events or to simply upgrade their boats in time to full (adult) F16 specs by getting a new mainsail and spinnaker (jibs are identical to both versions). I suspect several crews will sell on their old club suit of sails to a new young team when upgrading. In short, the "F16 Viper Club" is the true racing boat for youths with an undeniable growth path towards adult (full spec) performance sailing that is on a par with the best of performance cats out there (such as the F18 and A's)

Smart move, guys and girls !

No doubt about it.

Of course, supplying the boats for the US youth championships in addition to also supplying them to the US Alter Cup (adult) championships is another brilliant move !

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 06/29/10 07:50 AM.

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Wouter] #215264
07/05/10 04:22 AM
07/05/10 04:22 AM
Thailand
Buccaneer Offline
veteran
Buccaneer  Offline
veteran

Thailand
Club boat? grin

So about how much for a set of Viper dagger boards?? whistle

I agree with you on the 5.0 Wouter but the Viper is NOT going to make a good "club boat". Expensive high aspect dagger boards like those on the viper are not going to work in "club" or rental environment with teenagers. A Viper for training lighter and less experienced sailors would be a better marketing term then "club" boat.

The 5.0 is about the same weight/size as the Viper (but minus the boards and bullet proof) so it's a far better club boat. However the 5.0 is not nearly as maneuverable so there is a trade off. wink

"House prices have risen by nearly 25 percent over the past two years. Although speculative activity has increased in some areas, at a national level these price increases largely reflect strong economic fundamentals." – Ben Bernanke – 2005
Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Buccaneer] #215269
07/05/10 04:56 AM
07/05/10 04:56 AM
Hamburg
Smiths_Cat Offline
addict
Smiths_Cat  Offline
addict

Hamburg
I cannot follow this logic. Every kind of "club" dinghy has a daggerboard, even an Optimist. Hence if a kid can handle the daggerboard or a Laser, Pico OpenBic, Optimist, 420, 470, 29, Topper Taz, Topaz or wahtever, he or she can do this on a cat as well.
Maybe you can mark "1 foot" with a permanent pen on the board and it is kid proof.

Cheers,

Klaus

Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Smiths_Cat] #215284
07/05/10 09:06 AM
07/05/10 09:06 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
As a former Opti instuctor, I agree, any kid with about 10 minutes on an Opti understands the concept, pull the board up before you hit bottom. However, an Opti or Laser only goes about 3-5knts when coming into shore and there is only one board to pull up. Those Opti/Laser boards/rudders are quite short and much stronger than our high aspect style carbon/foam racing cat boards. Oh, and like Elvis Costello says, "accidents will happen" more often when you have kids/newbies on board.

Perhaps AHPC can come up with shorter boards for the Club, made of solid fiberglass that will withstand a full speed beaching? And also beef up the dagger slots at the back?

Blade F16
Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Timbo] #215287
07/05/10 10:19 AM
07/05/10 10:19 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Viper boards are plenty tough. They aren't that resilient to chipping, (like any are...), but I've slammed into a sand bar double trap reaching and not broken anything. I've also seen a Viper pile into a sandbar hard enough the sterns were lifted .

Originally Posted by Timbo
made of solid fiberglass that will withstand a full speed beaching?

I'd rather buy a new expensive board, then tear the trunk out of the hull.

Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Timbo] #215289
07/05/10 10:36 AM
07/05/10 10:36 AM
Arkansas, USA
Arsailor Offline
journeyman
Arsailor  Offline
journeyman

Arkansas, USA
Perhaps if they just did some shorter board with the rope uphaul system - ala my Taipan- I think AHPC knows how to do that ;-) then all it takes is a simple pull on the line and both boards come up- easy enough even a child could do it!

Kirt

Kirt
Taipan 4.9 USA 159, Flyer USA 185
Will sail for food...
Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Arsailor] #215290
07/05/10 10:38 AM
07/05/10 10:38 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
The Viper already has the pull up rope system.

Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Arsailor] #215291
07/05/10 10:42 AM
07/05/10 10:42 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm still unconvinced that the high aspect boards offer better performance that my "stubby".

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Timbo] #215293
07/05/10 10:57 AM
07/05/10 10:57 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
I think you guys are using the wrong model for junior Catamaran sailing.

USA Club's are not going to get a fleet of cat's to replace or add to their 420's. It hasn't happened in 30 years...

IMO, I think the idea to sell is that your club's top sailors need a new challenge, these kids will be older and experienced racers. Clubs are now buying international 420's.... We want them to get a pair of Viper Clubs to give the top kids a taste of apparent wind sailing and coaching.

The idea we are selling is that your sailing experience will be much more successful if you understand apparent wind sailing and tactics that you get on a catamaran. (not to mention it's a lot of fun).

We need to make the case that learning to sail and race a catamaran will make you a better sailor.... no matter what boat you will be racing that particular day.

The buzz word of the day is CROSS TRAINING!

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: pgp] #215326
07/06/10 02:35 AM
07/06/10 02:35 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by pgp
I'm still unconvinced that the high aspect boards offer better performance that my "stubby".

I still believe any advantage high aspect boards have is lost raising an lowering. I would prefer Taipan style boards where you leave down upwind and downwind (under kite), particularly sailing 1 up. The quicker you can wind the boat up after or before rounding marks the better.

Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Tornado_ALIVE] #215437
07/07/10 08:06 AM
07/07/10 08:06 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve_Kwiksilver Offline
addict
Steve_Kwiksilver  Offline
addict

Cape Town, South Africa
Originally Posted by Tornado_ALIVE

I still believe any advantage high aspect boards have is lost raising an lowering. I would prefer Taipan style boards where you leave down upwind and downwind (under kite), particularly sailing 1 up. The quicker you can wind the boat up after or before rounding marks the better.

You mean like we do with the Mozzie ? smirk
Would be the perfect junior boat, but has no manufacturer pushing it. I guess being a 1967 design is what it has against it. One thing the "latest, greatest" protagonists sometimes forget is that a good design will always be one - look at the Tornado, the benchmark that everyone tries to outdo, and don`t seem to succeed too often.

Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Steve_Kwiksilver] #215441
07/07/10 08:23 AM
07/07/10 08:23 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

You mean like we do with the Mozzie ?

No, he means like we do with the Taipan ! grin

He is right though, I never raised my boards and always go straight to hoisting the spi after rounding the off set mark. This does save a few valuable seconds especially when singlehanding in the rough. Certainly Don't want to go to lee to pull the board then !

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Wouter] #215443
07/07/10 08:40 AM
07/07/10 08:40 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by Wouter

You mean like we do with the Mozzie ?

No, he means like we do with the Taipan ! grin

No, I mean like a Tornado :-P

If I was to build a single hand (or perhaps a double hand) spinnaker boat, I would have 4.9 style boards.

Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Tornado_ALIVE] #215445
07/07/10 08:51 AM
07/07/10 08:51 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
I race Uni most of the time and I LOVE my deep boards. In medium wind I leave them down when going downwind, so no loss of time there at the A mark spin. set. When it's really blowing I'll pull them both half way up, but I've got the up line on them so I don't go to the leeward side to do it, just a quick pull on the line and up it comes. The only drawback is at the C mark or gate, I've got one more thing to do, put them both back down for the next upwind leg, so that does add a couple seconds, but I've never lost a race by -a couple seconds- so I don't think it really has an effect on my overall standings. ;^)

I do think the deeper boards will help you go better upwind (create more lift, point higher or sideslip less) and allow you to fly a hull earlier in medium wind, which also reduces drag, so that's a help.

Blade F16
Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Mark Schneider] #215454
07/07/10 11:14 AM
07/07/10 11:14 AM
M
maritimesailor Offline
maritimesailor  Offline
M

I agree and disagree with Mark. As a LONG time Opti coach at the National level in the US, a head instructor of three different sailing schools. The target audience is the kid who is either aging out of an Opti (15) or sizing out (just too tall / big) before they are 15. The sizing out kids tend to go to Laser 4.7 or 420, the age out kids (most of them) tend to be smaller and aim at club 420s. What you want is to provide them another avenue then club 420s (i.e BORING).

The problem is the club 420 is what high schools and colleges use in the states, hence, nice clean development path, motivation to sail them even though they are pigs (they don't even use trap and kites in either scenario). yes some are buying international 420s (much better boat), but I doubt that will get much of a hold since a lot of the "non laser youth" sailors are part of the high school scene (hence don't by boats). IFF you can get kids trying out Club vipers at the national Opti regattas, and target the kids/ parents that are considering buying their own 420 (10k) that the Viper is MORE FUN, you might get some to bite. The key from the kids perspective is MORE FUN (they hate 420s, trust me), and from the parent's perspective a better buy (longer lasting, good resale value), you might have something on your hands.

Of course, having to explain to them that they will need to drive to Florida to race them might kill the deal, so building up local fleets will be key as well. Nice club incentives, good deals, upgrade kits at a good price (to move from Club to full Viper) would help. For clubs, target the clubs that already have local cat fleets, nice beaches, etc.

My 2 cents. I think their is a huge demand for a fun boat for kids 15+ to sail, as must drop out of sailing due to 420s being pigs and lasers not being for everyone. Heck, I know of 10+ kids of the top of my head that don't have anywhere to go besides laser radial and will never be big enough for full rig, hence potential cat skippers....

Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: maritimesailor] #215475
07/07/10 02:06 PM
07/07/10 02:06 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
One other 'selling point' on the Vipers, the kid's parrents can get on board and race with the kid too!

Then cue the Viper video with Matt and Zack Lynch.

Blade F16
Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Timbo] #215499
07/07/10 10:59 PM
07/07/10 10:59 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD

One other 'selling point' on the Vipers, the kid's parrents can get on board and race with the kid too!

Then cue the Viper video with Matt and Zack Lynch.

This is dad's dream. Thousand and thousands of Hobie 16 dad's have raced with their kids.

Think about this.... This father son scene is NOT a selling point for a junior.... That would make the viper just another boat where dad needs crew.... it probably seems about the same as going out on the family cruiser where you get to hank on the jib and all of the other fore deck work.

When you were a kid... did you want your parents with you on the bike ride to where ever you thought would be cool?

We have 30 years of parents sailing with their kids on Hobie 16's... must be 100,000 boats sold..... Yet, How many second generation racers do you know? I don't think that dad driving with kid on the front end of the boat is a junior sailing program. I have never seen any data on this but I think it's remarkable how few "hobie kids" caught the sailing bug.

The rest of the sailing world has their kids off sailing their own little boats.... The conversion to life long sailors might not be great but I argue it's probably better then what us catamaran sailors have achieved. .. Basically, its the same thing as your own bike and when you were up for it.. your own trip to where ever. It's your chance to take on the sea and nature by your self.

Kids need their own boats to own the experience and responsibility....

I would not confuse the issue. The Viper club is a boat for young sailors.

The platform has a life beyond junior sailing. Eg... Laser and Laser Radial. (Make dad ask to borrow the thing).

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: Mark Schneider] #215504
07/08/10 01:33 AM
07/08/10 01:33 AM
Gippsland Lakes
mitchellsailor Offline
journeyman
mitchellsailor  Offline
journeyman

Gippsland Lakes
I agree the prospect of saling full time with my parents does not appeal and has not appealed to me my whole sailing career. (started age 8 now 17) I learnt to sail in slow single man boat, went to a dinghy with crew my own age which was very fun and now I'm racing against him or with the option of sailing with him if I want.
I think junior sailors need the options because not everyone can find someone with similar interests and commitment to sailing.

Mosquito 1750 Bonnie-GLYC / Peninsula

The plan was simple.... Like my brother in law Phil, except this plan just might work!
Re: F16 Viper Club version announced for Junior Sailors ! [Re: mitchellsailor] #215522
07/08/10 08:40 AM
07/08/10 08:40 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
The "problem" as I, a father of 4, see it is, there are not too many Dad's who can write a check for a $16,000 toy for only Junior to sail. An Opti? Yeah. But a boat that will require Dad to help step the mast, load and off load it from the trailor, etc. and by the way, who's going to drive the car? Not so much.

The Opti/420 route has been popular for years at YC's all over the world...why? Because Dad (actually Mom) can Drop Junior Off at the club in the morning and go about their business, return later to collect Junior, go home for dinner. The Clubs can stack up the boats and the kids can rig and un-rig them.

No effort involved and very little money, compared to a racing cat.

Now, try selling a $16,000 cat to a Club, here's what the old foggies on the Board of Directors are going to ask:

1. How many Optis and 420's could we buy for that same $16,000??

2. Where are we going to PUT those things? They take up too much room and dropping the mast is a pain!

3. Who are our kids going to race against? What other Clubs have kiddie cats??

Cats require at least 2x the work of Lasers, 420's and Opti's to rig and store, never mind they cost 4x as much, and then again, who are they going to race against, and what is the "follow on" program, without any upward mobility, (No Olympic class to aspire to) it's a tough sell.

BTW, I bought my kids an Opti, and then a JY 15. It was much easier for me to buy the JY15 because after the kids were done with it, I could race it too.

My kids now have a Hobie 14 in my backyard, it never leaves the beach unless it's blowing 20+, and then it's because I'm sailling it, not them.

Yesterday I took my 14 yr. old daughter out on my Blade for a couple hours, but that was only because her 14yr. old girlfriend wanted to go out, and they both trapped, but when I offered to set up the 14 for them, no luck.

The girlfriend's dad has 2 Sunfish, she's never been out on them. Her dad races against her 16yr. old brother but only here on our lake, never been to a real regatta. I've had him out on my Blade and tried to talk him into buying a cat, but he won't write a $16,000 check when he's got two $500 Sunfish to play with...

"That's a lot of money..."

BTW, they live in a $750,000 house on the lake and he drives a BMW, his wife's got a Lexus. If he won't write the check, who are you going to sell a $16,000 Kiddie Cat to??

BTW, Mark, you had better notify Brett Goodall that he doesn't like racing with his Dad, they are not doing too well in the F18 worlds after all...

Psych!

Blade F16
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 426 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022