St Petersburg, FL
J
jeffr Offline OP
stranger
jeffr  Offline OP
stranger
J

St Petersburg, FL
I have recnetly purchased a Nacra 5.2 which has what I think is a 4-way deluxe jib set up. I have the assembly manual, but I am having a hard time understanding, and the pictures in the manual are not clear.

It has a barber hauler in the front attached to the front beam. I think this is to haul out the jib sheet lines at that point. There are two cables that run front to back and are running accross the trapoline, I think these are for hiking straps to go around. At the same point of connection of these cables to the back beam, there are jib block cables that extend about halfway forward, and are clamped to the other cables. The assembly manual speaks that these jib blocks themselves haul out or in somehow, but I am not sure if this has been rigged different, or if I have the proper holes in the tramp. There are two holes in the tramp in whick the back trapeze shock cord runs through.

I have researched most all of the pics on this website and searched the web for pics of jib rigging which might match mine, but I have not had any luck. I have attached a picture of what is currently there, but I need some help either from someone familiar with this type of system, or some pictures of a similary rigged cat. Both would be best, but I have not had any luck finding either. Please take note that in the picture I have rigged the jib blocks throught he grommets ment for the trapeze shock cord so that I could get out and sail some, but I really am not happy with this set up. any input on this will be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure if I have uploaded the picture properly, but there are no becketts on the jib blocks, and I am not sure where the jib sheet line ends are secure to also. I hope this enough information to get some input.

Jeff

Attached Files
159765-jiblines.jpg (221 downloads)
Last edited by jeffr; 10/06/08 10:25 AM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: nacra 5.2 deluxe jib set up [Re: jeffr] #156476
10/06/08 01:00 PM
10/06/08 01:00 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
bobcat Offline
addict
bobcat  Offline
addict

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
The block should be attached to the eye on the fore and aft wires. You are right that the becket is missing. This is limiting you to a 1:1 on the jib sheeting. You are also correct about the barberhauler but that will have to change once you go to a 2:1 for the jib sheet. Even a stainless ring that both lines ran through would work.

It also seems like the clamcleat that would be used to tension the jib halyard has been replaced with a "dock" cleat. That would make it difficult to adjust the tension on the jib.

Re: nacra 5.2 deluxe jib set up [Re: bobcat] #156477
10/06/08 04:42 PM
10/06/08 04:42 PM
japan
erice Offline
old hand
erice  Offline
old hand

japan
hmmmm.............

have a look at the manual again, i'm not too sure the 5.2 was offered with the delux 4 way jib blocks...the reference to them in the manual may be the 5.5???

from the pics it looks like you have the normal 5.2 setup circa 1979

take the jib blocks off that white line that is coming up the tramp grommet. that is for the helm trapeze bungee, as you state

put the blocks onto the eye of the wire cable in the middle of the tramp. in the pic your jib blocks are lying the wrong way to see the becket but it should be visible on the other side

have attached a pic of airbornes 5.2

Attached Files
159808-helmtrap.jpg (146 downloads)

eric e
1982 nacra 5.2 - 2158
2009 weta tri - 294
Re: nacra 5.2 deluxe jib set up [Re: erice] #156478
10/06/08 06:19 PM
10/06/08 06:19 PM
St Petersburg, FL
J
jeffr Offline OP
stranger
jeffr  Offline OP
stranger
J

St Petersburg, FL
The jib blocks I got with the boat do not have any beckets and they were attached where you say they should be, the cables were bad and I wanted to sail her, so i moved the blocks until I get this set up the way it should be. It appears that in the pic you attached that there are lines off the back of the jib blocks that run for about a foot, but I can't see where they go to from there.

Are the cables which support the jib blocks supposed to be hard fastened (wire clamped) to the ones that run from the front beam to the back beam? Or is it supposed to be free to move?

You are correct the manual I am using is for several boats, and the deluxe may not have been an option for my boat.

I thought the standard setup had the adjustable rails on the hull, and I do not have that. I have what is pictured in your attachment, so I thought I must have the 4-way.

Thanks for the feedback...

Jeff

Re: nacra 5.2 deluxe jib set up [Re: jeffr] #156479
10/06/08 11:28 PM
10/06/08 11:28 PM
japan
erice Offline
old hand
erice  Offline
old hand

japan
- originally the 5.2 had cables above the tramp as in your pic, cables are about 18inches in from the hulls. they need to be there or the jib won't trim correctly upwind

- later on the cable went below the tramp, with 2 slots into the tramp so the could be brought above the tramp to connect the blocks, AND closer in to the hulls, 12inches? the last pic shows a modified tramp with the cables running mainly below so you can't see them

- your pic shows a 2nd half length cable that the block also is attached to. the long cable keeps the block from moving sideways and the short cable prevents it being blown forward along the wire

- my 5.2 doesn't have the half length cable. instead i have a length of dyneema that is knotted at the rear eyelet, brought forward with the cable and then a loop is tied around the cable. the block is connected around the cable and through the loop

the advantage of having the rear end knotted is that as you are sailing you can watch the jib's upper tell-tail and if the top one breaks first then the block should be moved forward. to do this just undo the knot at the rear beam and retie it a little further along. this should allow the block to move forward along the cable

- if there is no becket on the blocks you may be able to make one with a loop on dyneema. the main block on my 5.2 has no becket either so the previous owner made a loop coming up from just above the rachet wheel. the white line in the attached pic

Attached Files
159850-harkenblocks.JPG (117 downloads)

eric e
1982 nacra 5.2 - 2158
2009 weta tri - 294
Re: nacra 5.2 deluxe jib set up [Re: erice] #156480
10/07/08 09:46 AM
10/07/08 09:46 AM
St Petersburg, FL
J
jeffr Offline OP
stranger
jeffr  Offline OP
stranger
J

St Petersburg, FL
I think I have it now, thanks for all your help. This site rocks! I will post follow up pics once I get it rigged right, probably a week or so. Now I just need to figure out how to incoporate some hiking straps in with the cables, and I make my own beckets, and I will choose to make the blocks adjustable front to back as eric has suggested. Once agian, I can't thank those who responed enough, I was quite lost on this until thier input and pictures.

Jeff

Re: nacra 5.2 deluxe jib set up [Re: jeffr] #156481
10/07/08 05:24 PM
10/07/08 05:24 PM
japan
erice Offline
old hand
erice  Offline
old hand

japan
hiking straps, on my 5.2 the previous owner first put on lengths of the smallest sized garden hose that would go over the swagged ends of the cables. then on top of that he slipped some lengths of foam tube, 2 thicknesses onb the rear section and just 1 on the forward section. pic attached

that worked but my legs are long and the cables were too close to the hulls for me to be able to use them well, plus the slack in the cable made them rise up too much when i was hiking

so i used a sewing awl and some nylon suitcase straps from a dollar shop to sew on my own straps closer to the center-line of the tramp, but around the same time i got comfortable with my windsurfer belt and now find i hook on and hang my butt off the side of the boat more often than using the straps

Attached Files

eric e
1982 nacra 5.2 - 2158
2009 weta tri - 294
Re: nacra 5.2 deluxe jib set up [Re: erice] #219880
09/19/10 10:55 AM
09/19/10 10:55 AM
R
ROLAND HAILE Offline
stranger
ROLAND HAILE  Offline
stranger
R

On my 1980, there is but one wire on each side for the jib block to attach to.

The jib block should move fore and aft on that cable.

How far fore or aft is determined by a rope tied to each block. That ropes other end attaches to a very small cleat/roller afair riveted to the rear beam. The small cleat holds the line in place. To make the block move fore or aft, you uncleat that rope and pull on it to move the block aft (the small roller helps doing that), and when you have the block where you want it, then you cleat the rope in the small cleat.

Unfortunatley my small cleat(s) had to be re-riveted and I used 3/16" rivets to replace the original 1/8" rivets that hold them to the beam. Bad move. The movable cleat will not move no 'mo. So I just tie a simple knot to hold it in place.

Another BAD move of mine was to put the wires under the tramp. I installed two grommets in the tramp for the wire to go above the tramp and then back under the tramp. Works BUT since then I realize the newer boats that came this way, have the wire located further outboard then the original location. MY wire(s) are located approx 14" from the hulls. Newer boats wires are located closer to the hulls.

I've a new tramp coming from/thru Murrays and it has the cutouts made in the tramp for the wires. Ain't a gonna match my stock wire location..........so the attach points for the jib wire will have to be moved outbd. I HATE drilling holes in structural members. Not difficult, just weakens whatever you drill into.

The hand swage kits from Murray's help in the making of new jib wires. Wire can be had from the local Home Depot.

Maybe I'll take a picture of the small cleat/roller on the rear beam that came with the original boat (1980). Hope some of this made some sense.

Orgoto YOTUBE and watch NACRA 5.2's being sailed. Stop the movie when they show the tramp int this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4DbTYPS1Y&NR=1

Bottom line: only one wire on each side for the jib and only one small rope tied to the jib block to allow fore and aft movement of the jib block.

Last edited by ROLAND HAILE; 09/19/10 10:12 PM.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 471 guests, and 64 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022