Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by BLR_0719
Originally Posted by PTP
not that my opinion belongs here, cause I'm not an owner, but I say anarchy rules!!!!
In the end, if you own one of these boats you will likely be looking at a lot of DPN racing against boats that have open sail development (F18s). Might as well make it as fast as possible for its already low rating. If you guys think you will be predominantly racing against other N20s then keep it SMOD with development from one manufacturer. You have to be honest with yourself when you answer that question as a class.

Tybee--probably the biggest thing keeping these boats going--requires you to be class legal.

I think Chuck would give us an open class w/ 3 or more entrants and an exhibition class with less. That's what he was willing to do for the F 20c and Tornadoes, so I can't see why he wouldn't do it for OD (not SMOD) N-20s.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Square top sails [Re: Ventucky Red] #227996
02/01/11 06:38 PM
02/01/11 06:38 PM
L
Lost in Translation Offline
journeyman
Lost in Translation  Offline
journeyman
L

Originally Posted by Ventucky Red

Not even close, I take you have never been to a Laser or a J-24 protest meeting. Hell, Trey would have been protested on the beach and disqualified from even coming to the start line if the sails we're in the least bit in question/suspect. I would rather be Mubarak waking down the main street of Cairo then be on that hot seat - they through stuff at ya, spit in your face, key your car, kick you dog, and.........!

An accusation does not merit a DSQ. Every protest hearing I've been a part of, including lasers, only results in a DSQ in the case of finding fault in a proper hearing or after both parties agree to arbitration

If a boat doesn't pass class measurement/inspection, it won't be allowed to race. For a Laser, that would include making sure it has an authentic class button on the sail. For the Nacra 20, everything from the horse's mouth says Trey's gear would pass a measurement/inspection no problem. Do you not agree?

There is no sail button on the Nacra 20, but even if you contested Trey was still not telling the truth, do you think E/P would make a non-legal set of sails and risk the bad will of the class? Remember, this is the sailmaker that gave those who broke a kite in Tybee '09 a free replacement. I was very impressed. I'm have been further impressed that they are developing updated sails for a class that is relatively small and not growing, especially when I don't see many new sails during class races. All of the development is happening on the West Coast so we don't see it, but it is great to know that a new kite is coming out followed by other portions of the wardrobe. I hope the class rewards their work with some purchases.

BTW, Laser sailors are hoping to get a new full rig sail after 40 years of sailing and ~ 200,000 boats. Last I heard it was just about to be released.

Re: Square top sails [Re: Lost in Translation] #227999
02/01/11 06:44 PM
02/01/11 06:44 PM
Reno NV
R
Rhino1302 Offline
enthusiast
Rhino1302  Offline
enthusiast
R

Reno NV
Are there actually measurements for the Nacra 20 sails? I thought it was pretty much whatever EP sells as class legal is class legal.

Re: Square top sails [Re: Rhino1302] #228008
02/01/11 07:15 PM
02/01/11 07:15 PM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

If there are measurements, I'd assume they are pretty forgiving. The boltrope length between two of my mains differs atleast 4-5 inches. Two of my spinn luff length's differ around 4 inches and I've heard of as much as 18 inches difference between a batch that a dealer had.
Trey, sorry for holding your feet to the fire on this subject but I've heard too much about it and since nobody else would say anything to you, I thought I'd try to get the story out and put it to bed, good or bad. Frankly, if you weren't the class rep, I could care less what you did.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: Square top sails [Re: Lost in Translation] #228010
02/01/11 07:44 PM
02/01/11 07:44 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Originally Posted by Lost in Translation

There is no sail button on the Nacra 20, but even if you contested Trey was still not telling the truth, do you think E/P would make a non-legal set of sails and risk the bad will of the class?

I am very familiar with EP sails as I have purchased a few sets from them over the years. AAMOF my office use to be right around the corner from them. And yes, they do stand behind their quality no questions about it. That is why they are one of the premier sail makers in Southern CA. That said, I know they will make you anything you want. What you do with it once it leaves Newport Beach is your business. Is this to say they are in collusion to make a illegal class sail, that's a reach!

Originally Posted by Lost in Translation

All of the development is happening on the West Coast so we don't see it, but it is great to know that a new kite is coming out followed by other portions of the wardrobe. I hope the class rewards their work with some purchases.

Who are they doing this with, what boats, what fleet? Who is doing the testing, what are they finding out where is the information, etc........ That seems to be the issue here, there is talk about it happening but none knows what is going on at least some of the west coast owners I have talked to seem to know nothing. As I am looking to be dropping some serious coin on some new rags pretty soon, I would like to know. Should I wait for the new cut or.......

Guess when I go to EP later this week to drop of my jib sails to have some work done I can ask them what is going on.

Last edited by Ventucky Red; 02/01/11 07:49 PM.
Re: Square top sails [Re: NCSUtrey] #228011
02/01/11 08:21 PM
02/01/11 08:21 PM
Williamston, sc
h18catsailor Offline
journeyman
h18catsailor  Offline
journeyman

Williamston, sc
[quote=NCSUtrey] so Jack shipped them to me for pickup at Tradewinds 2009. "

Then jack owes me some cash or rum! grin

David Strickland
Hobie 18
HEAVY air crew on a J22
Re: Square top sails [Re: h18catsailor] #228013
02/01/11 09:22 PM
02/01/11 09:22 PM
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the Water
Wow. What a day. Let’s see if I got this right:

I drank way to much coffee , and hence, successfully posted more in one day than H1616, Pete, and Jake combined.

Had the desire for a rummie before lunch.

Devon is scratching his head saying W.T.F, the hijack from hell I’m tellin’ ya.

This thread had more posts than Drill Baby Drill today.

Todd R (aka Punk) wasn’t around so Ding picked on Tad.

Sam is still hung up on R&D.

Catcaper Tshan was flushed out of the woodworks.

Jake wisely would not engage, and sat this one out on the sidelines.

Tawd . . .well Tawd is Tawd.

Trey wears power ranger footy pajamas.

Patrick is an anarchist.

The defending SMOD N20 Tybee500 Champion sails started a journey in Smokepentaxvillage, New England, to Newport Beach on to Islamorada ending on the shores of Tybee Island, somehow along the way missing every Nacra Dealer in the country. smile

Tad went ALL CAPS today, and is still trying to translate Latin.

And Lee, in reality, doesn’t really care. So, Bob's your Uncle.

I friggin’ love this gang. I’ll get my coat now. Oh, and most importantly,

WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Philip
USA #1006
Re: Square top sails [Re: P.M.] #228015
02/01/11 09:34 PM
02/01/11 09:34 PM
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

And Lee, in reality, doesn’t really care.

When it comes down to it, there are only two things I DO care about; Sailing and pu&&y. The order depends on the wind and company at hand. Trey, I'll buy the first round when I see you again.. maybe at Tybee this year. And if you come do the GT, I promise not to run into you in the surf.

Lee

Re: Square top sails [Re: TeamChums] #228016
02/01/11 09:45 PM
02/01/11 09:45 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by TeamChums

When it comes down to it, there are only two things I DO care about; Sailing and pu&&y. The order depends on the wind and company at hand. Trey, I'll buy the first round when I see you again.. maybe at Tybee this year. And if you come do the GT, I promise not to run into you in the surf.

Unless you turn in front of him or change your name to Yost, either one validates the move.

Phillip,
Nice summary.

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Square top sails [Re: TeamChums] #228021
02/01/11 10:18 PM
02/01/11 10:18 PM
Charleston, SC
NCSUtrey Offline
old hand
NCSUtrey  Offline
old hand

Charleston, SC

Am I allowed to feel the warm and fuzzies now?

Trey
Re: Square top sails [Re: NCSUtrey] #228024
02/01/11 10:47 PM
02/01/11 10:47 PM
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Yeah, you passed. I had to press you hard for an answer. I wasn't pretty about it but there was alot of buzz regarding the subject from other's (not just me). I guess I figured I'd try to pop the zit and see if it would go away regardless of the facts that came out of it. As stated, I could care less as long as we all knew the whole story. Thanks for stating the whole cenario because I think it cleared up a big grey area.

Now, wipe your nose on your sleeve and I'll stop picking on you.
AND, someone needs to go give Tad a hug, I think he took this harder than Trey did. Can someone look under the bed to see if he's there?

Lee

Re: Square top sails [Re: TeamChums] #228026
02/01/11 10:49 PM
02/01/11 10:49 PM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
If there are measurements, I'd assume they are pretty forgiving. The boltrope length between two of my mains differs atleast 4-5 inches. Two of my spinn luff length's differ around 4 inches and I've heard of as much as 18 inches difference between a batch that a dealer had.

That's my experience as well. No two sails alike. It makes me kind of giggle when everybody gets all up on the OD sail thing, all "equal sails" and all. They ain't equal. How could anybody tell if anything was re-cut? Lay my main on top of yours and you'd think I had a bunch of luff curve added in a re-cut. Lay my two spinnakers on top of each other and you see two different sails. It's great that new sails are being designed. Will they be consistent? If I buy them through the local dealer and not from Jack, will they make me happy?

Re: Square top sails [Re: P.M.] #228028
02/01/11 10:53 PM
02/01/11 10:53 PM
D
Devon Offline OP
Devon  Offline OP
D

+ 1 The dam problem i got now though is I am in cains and about to be destroyed by a cyclone cat. 5 my I17 is unsecured in the open just sitting on its trailer at the club, I cant get to it and big trees all round it, im pretty sure its gunna be smashed big time if not just blown away...Lucky it is insured with club marine and Bris Cat centre Nacra have a almost new F17 there...Chocko is in cairns also with a brand new 4.5 in his carport, he filled his hulls with water so hope his is ok..Wish us luck...will keep u posted, but this is ****ing scarey...300 plus KLM. HR. winds expected 8 hours till it hits us..

Re: Square top sails [Re: Devon] #228029
02/01/11 10:59 PM
02/01/11 10:59 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Stay safe. New boat sounds better than new sails.
Keep us updated on how you fared as soon as you can.
Good luck.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Square top sails [Re: Devon] #228030
02/01/11 11:03 PM
02/01/11 11:03 PM
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

New Sails come with a new boat. Get to a safe place man. I rode out Hurrican Ike here in Texas. Not even half way through I knew it was a bad idea. Scary ****. The worst will be after the storm, believe me. I'm praying for youguys.

Lee

Re: Square top sails [Re: TeamChums] #228041
02/02/11 08:35 AM
02/02/11 08:35 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.

Last edited by Team_Cat_Fever; 02/02/11 09:19 AM.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Square top sails [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #228050
02/02/11 01:23 PM
02/02/11 01:23 PM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

WOW thats pretty ugly looking (the cyclone)
Stay safe.

Re: Square top sails [Re: ] #228064
02/02/11 05:05 PM
02/02/11 05:05 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
"..are they Chinese knockoffs or real licensed Power Ranger pajamas"

easy to tell... the "lead lines" on his fingernails

And since Ding has banned OH-SNAP from this site, I'll just say "SLAP-CHOP" instead.

why aren't they making any more N20s? Are we getting thinner and I missed the memo?

I can almost afford one... now I just need the vehicle to pull it... I'll take Karl's truck for $500

Jay

Re: Square top sails [Re: waterbug_wpb] #228080
02/03/11 03:34 AM
02/03/11 03:34 AM
uk
TEAMVMG Offline
veteran
TEAMVMG  Offline
veteran

uk
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
"

why aren't they making any more N20s?

Attached Files
F20 006 (Small).jpg (154 downloads)

Paul

teamvmg.weebly.com
Re: Square top sails [Re: TEAMVMG] #228081
02/03/11 05:06 AM
02/03/11 05:06 AM
Michigan
PTP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan
Originally Posted by TEAMVMG
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
"

why aren't they making any more N20s?

what, because nacra is now fighting for the pink team?
smile

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 440 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022